Kinda big event for me...well little, but still lol :)
    Big event for me just happened so thought I'd share with ya. ok....I realize this is not a biggie for most of ya that get to see this happen all the time lol and probably most of ya would be in hysterics thinking to themselves.....ohhhh this poor soul lol how pathetic is she that this is a big event. rofl

But......I think it was a pretty big event for me. lol Never had seen a hummingbird before in my life til couple years ago in the supermarket they had hummingbird feeders for sale reaaaallly cheap...So....thought to myself...hmmm something on sale and really cheap?? Never saw a hummingbird before, soooo bought it.

Fast forward to two years later. lol Have one hummingbird feeder hanging from my deck right next to my front steps. Have another hanging from the little pent at top of my steps.

And....have on my deck in the far corner a honeysuckle plant just planted this year.

Big event time. lol Went out to water this one plant (a lobelia....uhh hummingbirds supposed to like em) Happened to look to my left and what did I see?? A little fella (actually a little girl) hovering a bit above me. She went up to the top feeder (figure equivalent to a Burger King to a hummingbird) took some sips.....Then for the first time ever.......flew over to the honeysuckle (Dunkin Donuts equivalent) and little fella got in there and think musta gone to each flower. Then when she was all finished gettin her sweet fix for the morning.....she came down to the lower feeder and drank some from it.

Got to see my first ever hummingbird siting on my honeysuckle...and a threefer...went to all three yummies in one visit. And.....I got to see the little fella up close and very personal since it was all right in front of me.

Figure I'm gonna go out on the deck one of these days and there's gonna be a 5 pound hummingbird waddlin across on it cos she can't fly away cos she's gotten sooooo fat from all the yummies I've put out for them.

lol told ya not actually a big event....but was a nice start to my morning anyway. lol

It's the small pleasures in life that can make our days!!! I bet you are in an awesome mood and are going to have a great day!!! All from seeing a hummingbird, I actually love to watch the birds.

I was sitting on my deck last year and this hummingbird just came out of nowhere and fluttered in my face...how cool are they!!!
    1stopshopping4moms.com
    Tired of browsing the net for what you are looking for?
    Hundreds of stores in one place with the best prices

Online Marketing Consultant
    How cute...glad to see them using your feeders. It really is the little things that make or break your day.
    Adam Riemer Marketing, LLC. Online Marketing Blog and Affiliate Management Company
    Do you need help with your Marketing or Sales funneling, write me at adamr (at) adamriemer (dot) me

What a treat for the morning! We have a lot of hummingbirds here, they are so delicate looking you would never know how aggressive they can get. Trimming in the yard close to sunset and one came diving at me again and again like a little banzai bird. Guess I got too close to her teeny nest with my noisy weedwacker. Gotta love them though, they are like little flying jewels.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    What a treat for the morning! We have a lot of hummingbirds here, they are so delicate looking you would never know how aggressive they can get. Trimming in the yard close to sunset and one came diving at me again and again like a little banzai bird. Guess I got too close to her teeny nest with my noisy weedwacker. Gotta love them though, they are like little flying jewels.
    Hummies are very territorial. We get little spats around our feeders all the time. And you can tell when they're around because they sound like old VW Beetles... zoooooom. Don't worry about them getting fat on the feeders you have out. They expend a LOT of energy just keeping those little wings flapping so fast.

Anyway, congrats on your big event. Hummingbirds are little jewels and we just love watching them in our yard.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    We keep a couple of hummingbird feeders hanging from our covered patio area and each summer we have 3 or 4 hummingbirds that kind of move in.

They are one of the most amazing creatures to watch!
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

How diverse a place, this ABW. After reading I am in a bad mood today... the blues started moving in. Then along came purplebear. How COOL! Thanks...

X

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    What a really beautiful way to start your morning!! Hey, Snib's got a good hummingbird story too, he charmed one enough to pet it. I'll see if he can pop into this thread too

When we lived in an apartment, there was a big olive tree right off our balcony. Some hummingbirds built a nest in one of the nearby branches and we got to see the little hummies grow up. I have pictures around here somewhere. I'll have to see if I can dig them up.

Right now, we have a family of chickadees living in a birdhouse we hung on our house. We hear little cheeps every once in a while when the adult chickadees come back with food. It's adorable.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

Awesome, gotta love hummingbirds. We get them every Spring out on the patio and they just love to stand on the clothing lines, no feeders or anything. Since my office faces the patio I can always see when they're around and sometimes I'll go outside and try to get close. As Carolyn mentioned I was lucky enough to touch one. She was busy cleaning herself on the clothing line and I crept up ever-so-slowly and managed to stroke her back one time before she flew up to a higher vantage point, took a look at me and buzzed away. Was almost able to do it again a few days later but she got wise to me

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

I haven't seen one for several years, but I still remember the first one. What a nice surprise!

ABW Ambassador
    Purplebear, what a wonderful post. I'm glad you've got birds visiting. I love watching the little guys!

http and a telephoto
    Hummingbirds and butterflies are like flowers with wings... they can't help but brighten your day. Right before I left San Mateo 2 years ago one started hanging around my apartment every evening. It was the one thing I was sad to leave. The hummingbird conservatory at the Desert Museum in Tucson was amazing. Watching them get aggressive when they are so small... reminds me of a line from Seabiscuit... the dangerous little guy is the one that doesn't know he's little

When I get settled into a new place I plan to have hummingbird feeders out. And plant the right plants. Hope I get lucky like you purplebear. It's extra special when they accept your invitation to your yard...
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I remember my dad telling me about a place near his hometown in California. It had huge bushes growing wild and literally hundreds of hummingbirds zipping around. He said it was one of the most amazing things he's ever seen.

My husband had never seen a hummingbird in person until he moved out to California in his mid twenties. Now, he religiously washes and fills the hummingbird feeders and places them right near the living room window so he can watch them.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Enjoy the little girl, Purplebear! She'll keep coming back and she'll bring her friends.

A friend of mine rescued a baby hummingbird still in the nest a few years ago. She raised him and finally had to let him go but he was the sweetest little guy. He'd hang out with us and sat on her shoulder all day. She released him in her mother's backyard which had lots of trees and every time she visits, "Sport" comes to say hello. He even brings his mate to visit, now, too.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    He'd hang out with us and sat on her shoulder all day.
    Sounds like our little Peanut (budgie). She loves sitting on shoulders.

Aww, enjoy the little ones! I totally understand. A wonderful way to start your day!
    Melanie
    President - Affiliate Advocacy 2008 ShareaSale Performance Industry Advocate Award, 2009 Affiliate Summit Pinnacle Award - Affiliate Advocate
    Affiliate Advocacy
    NYAffiliateVoice Seery Writing

Purplebear....
    I read your post this morning, and just now found time to thank you.
    Your post reminded me of my Mother ,whose favorite flower was hunnysuckles.
    She would always call me to let me know that "This morning there were hummingbirds in my flowers"
    So, I'm glad you found pleasure in these great little birds, and thanks for bring back a memory to me.
    As others have said...it's the little things

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Girl, your post brought me the biggest smile! I could just picture the honeysuckle. =]
    What a great way to start a day with a little visitor. Get a pic =]
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

"I bet you are in an awesome mood and are going to have a great day"
    Uhhh actually did start out very nice, but quickly went waaaay down hill after that. lol

Ya know....it is weird. Lotsa times they do just seem to come outa nowhere lol

Do agree with sooo many of ya, little things are the things that can make a day. I always appreciate the little things that a lot might just take for granted. I try not to take anybody or anything for granted anymore.

"one came diving at me again and again like a little banzai bird"

yeap, they're such gentle little creatures...til ya get two of em wanting that same feeder. Don't like that acting so macho (altho have mostley been girls lol ) stuff at all. Didn't any of their Moms teach em to share. There's plenty of room for em but let there be 2 to come at a time and they have to go acting mean to each other.

"Hummingbirds are little jewels"
    Yeap, somebody I know referred to them as magical and think it's true. They're such small little things I guess and unique.....why else would we all sit and stare waiting for them to appear. lol

"I have pictures around here somewhere."
    meadowmufn ya gotta get them pictures. Baby hummingbirds must be sooooo teeny.

Snib - awwwhh he's a cute little fella. oooooh ya got to touch one I've seen at forums where people have been standing holding out their hands with a little of the sugar water I guess and they'll come and drink outa their hands. Guess areas where ya have a lot they're not as skittery.

"like flowers with wings"
    yea....that is true

"The hummingbird conservatory at the Desert Museum in Tucson was amazing. "
    Never had heard of it, but am sure it must be amazing. Yeap, I ws surprised, didn't take em long to find the honeysuckle at all and it's not very big either. This is just a baby honeysuckle just planted in a pot on the deck this year. They definitely are lovin it tho.

Don't know if those bushes coulda been butterfly bushes or not?? They're supposed to love em I know.

"He'd hang out with us and sat on her shoulder all day. "
    Awhhhhh My Mom or Nanna woulda done that if we'd have had any of em around when I was growin up. They always took in all the birds and critters that were injured and nursed em back to health.

baygrafix - awwh very sweet memory of your Mom. Glad my post brought back the memory.

Will try to get some pics but they're just kinda here they are there they go lol Seems some days you'll see a bunch, others none. Don't have a very good camera either but will try.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Nice story Purplebear and wished I got to see a few Hummingbirds around here once in a while too as not that many in Miami at least that I have noticed.

But it's probably cause I am not looking and it's true we need to take time out for the little things in life and glad you posted this so others can step back sometimes and realize that too, like me. Thanks for sharing it.

Jorge
    Might be that you just haven't been lookin for the little fellas. lol As I said, I'd never seen one before in my life til I purchased the feeder in the supermarket (if ya put the price low enough for something....you can get me to purchase it, probably no matter what it is. lol ) It's just sugar water that ya put out for em in the feeders. Don't know if it matters but red seems to be the color they like. And....as I said, too. the honeysuckle I have is yellow but think it's not so much the color but the yummy inside for em. lol There's quite a few flowers that they like (ones that are yummy for em)

Anyway....to those that wanted a picture...got one for ya here

Said in that link.....don't have a very good camera so it's not the best picture but she does kinda look like she's posing for it. lol

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread