e: ctang@collectiblestoday.com
    p: (847) 581-8939
    f: (847)581-8922
    Yahoo IM: carolyn_collectiblestoday

ABW Ambassador
    http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/people/edelman/ads/

Reading the Uhaul PDF summary judgement

Hey lets get this guy:
    The author anticipates additional research in the future as to these and similar programs. Please send email with suggestions or requests.

http://asp-cyber.law.harvard.edu/gat...ost=ebates.com

[This message was edited by TrustNo1® on September 22, 2003 at 06:17 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    It looks like they are possibly waiting for a customer to attempt to checkout "based on the keywords shown" before intervening in the process. This has to make merchants like Carolyn who realize what is really happening sick.

It is a shame but this tactic will likely become more and more used as parasites become more knowledgable of a merchants processing.

Alert to merchants - just as CJ and others will be considering methods to cloak it's links and prevent ad blocking - smart merchants now will need consider ways to cloack their checkout processes from parasites to prevent intervention of sales at the time a customer has already made up their minds to make a purchase!

The processes and diversion we see today will be tame to what the parasitic applications of the future will do.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Doesn't it just infuriate you to think that what is not acceptable behavior on a competitor's property, at a physical location, somehow becomes 'acceptable' in the poachers eyes on the internet, simply because merchants have never had to address this type of activity before? I get so infuriated.

I go through a series of emotions, which start at 'Two can play that game, Bubba' and ends with, 'Have patience, the law will catch up with this activity.'

I do hope I live long enough to see definitions of acceptable fair play evolve on the internet.

- - - - - - - - -
    This is your affiliate network -
    This is your affiliate network on Parasites -

This is one of those things that makes you go "what!?!?!?!?!?!"

When will merchants finally figure out for once and for all that it is costing them MORE to do business with the parasites? Most importantly, it is going to cost them their reputation, as this parasite thing is going to backfire at some point, and the fallout won't be pretty...plus:

- What merchant in its right mind wants to pay for traffic that came from their own site optimization?

- What merchant wants to pay for traffic that typed in their URL because they're a returning customer, or they saw a paid ad in a magazine, or on a billboard, or in the newspaper?

- What merchant wants to pay out commissions for customers coming to them from their own E-mail lists?

- Why pay for this when you don't have to?

The parasites don't bring any value to a merchant's site, they just suck it dry until there's nothing left.

It amazes me the people that are able to stay in business in spite of themselves!

Andy

Affiliate Manager
    The guy who put the tool up there is not a parasite, just an academic researcher. And yes! Merchants, read up on that stuff! It is entirely unethical to take business away from the affiliate. Losing credibility and respect is the quickest way to lose business.

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    e: ctang@collectiblestoday.com
    p: (847) 581-8939
    f: (847)581-8922
    Yahoo IM: carolyn_collectiblestoday

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread