ABW Ambassador
    Anybody Using Ning? No More Free Ning
    Just wondering if anybody has tried it. You can have something.ning or upgrade and have a regular .com using Ning.

I setup up something a few weeks ago, completely forgot about it and just had a couple of emails this morning with a couple of people signing up, leaving comments, taking the time to setup a profile etc. So now I might build this one out, might even upgrade. Looks like they have lots of cool stuff, but I've only briefly gone thru it, need to go thru it more.
    Last edited by Trust; July 1st, 2008 at 07:06 PM.

Shawn's been through several services for the affiliate summit network over the years and has settled on Ning this time around.

I've joined them all, and this one's definitely the best, I'd say. Just may stick.

http://affiliatesummit.ning.com/

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Yep -- we've gone through several of them -- and it's not because we like to torture our attendees by making them register and re-register and re-register.

It just seemed that everything we wanted to do required some sort of customization -- and waiting.

I was already a part of several Ning groups and it appeared that most of the bells and whistles that we wanted were already in the basic version. We opted for that route and it looks like we'll be sticking with it.

Super easy to set up, simple to use.

Definitely recommend it.
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

ABW Ambassador
    Cool. With that are you planning to get a domain name or leave it like that for now? I see you have your own ads, that's just using the Control the Ads $19.95 per month option?

Here's the Premium Service Page -
    http://about.ning.com/product.php

scroll to the bottom

Are you using any of the other services on that page? Thanks.

ABW Ambassador AffiliateSummitMissy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Cool. With that are you planning to get a domain name or leave it like that for now? I see you have your own ads, that's just using the Control the Ads $19.95 per month option?

Here's the Premium Service Page -
    http://about.ning.com/product.php

Are you using any of the other services on that page? Thanks.
    We actually don't market that URL above, we use: http://network.affiliatesummit.com/ . We try to use the same naming convention (http://blog.affiliatesummit.com, http://video.affiliatesummit.com/ etc.) for consistency purposes to make it easier for folks to remember. So we chose not to add on the Domain Name Option.

We are also using the "Remove Ning Promotion Links" feature and I believe we're now using the additional bandwidth option (if we're not, we will be very shortly).
    Shine on,

Missy Ward

Co-founder of Affiliate Summit, FeedFront Magazine , GeekCast.fm & itsaWAHMthing.com
    Co-Publisher of Revenews.com and Revenews.org
    Founder of AffiliateMarketersGiveBack.com Personal Blog: MissyWard.com

I secured about 20 Ning accounts. Each user can have 10. We will be launching one of them in conjunction with our other sites. We pay about $32 a month for a complete private label version. Still working out the kinks but ours can be found here: http://social.wescrap.com/

After researching and playing with MANY, I feel its the most bang for the buck. I also feel its the best kept secret out there.

I've tried a few other similar services and just recently came across Ning. Much better than the rest and I can tell I am going to be distracted with it for a while.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    I created a micro-social site for my family using ning, absolutely love it gb open source, and what a smart way to monetize.

ABW Ambassador
    "I created a micro-social site for my family using ning, "

Ah, that's a good idea. I remember in the past I was wondering about starting a forum for family but this would be better I think. I need to clone myself or something, too many projects.

Sure, it's an awesome idea. The only snag was trying to explain to mom how to use it. This is the same mom that thought her inbox was possessed because some guy named mailer demon kept emailing her.

Great idea, Carolyn! I just made one for my family.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Sweet! It's really cool too, because I'm taking a father/daughter trip with my dad back to the homeland (Taipei, Shanghai and Hong Kong), and mom's not going to be joining us. So at least this way, we can document the trip with blog entries, video and picts, and mom can sorta travel with us vicariously That is, if she can figure out the comment section.

Then again, making it so mom can't comment...hmm.... maybe not a bad idea....

I have ten Ning sites and love it. It solved most of the technical roadblocks I had. Now I just need to focus on building traffic and community.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I agree. Ning has been great for my site, now community! In 4 months it has grown to over 630 members because there weren't really any others in my niche until they started copying me LOL And those others aren't as good because they are trying to promote themselves through their community.

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    I have ten Ning sites and love it. It solved most of the technical roadblocks I had. Now I just need to focus on building traffic and community.
    This is something I'd like to implement at a future time.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Bumping, just in case you're using free Ning, that's going away http://www.pcworld.com/article/19437..._networks.html

A lot of the commentary I've come across is really down on Ning. People are upset (understandably) because the business or community they've built on Ning is being taken away. The lesson to take away (not news to most everyone here really) is that you should never build your business on someone else's platform if you've got no control and no recourse should that platform change or die off.

The really interesting part is the parallel between this and the Twitter developers who are up in arms over Twitter buying Tweetie and (supposedly) competing with them. When you build a business on something you don't control - like Twitter - you have to accept the risks that come with it. Twitter has a business to run, and it's not their job to put third-party developers ahead of their own survival. Same thing with Ning. Sucks for the users... but if Ning goes out of business trying to support the free accounts, then the result is the same: no more Ning.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Reminds me a little of Homestead. When I first started, I was using them to make my sites and they were free at the beginning. Then they cancelled that a long time ago, went paid only and many people were upset but people shouldn't rely on free or think it's going to last forever.

Once again always control where your content is. Good points Daniel
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny O'Hare View Post
    Once again always control where your content is. Good points Daniel
    I've always been a believer of "Never put all your eggs is one basket." This is especially good advice when "someone else" has hold of the basket's handle. A'la AOL, Homestead, GeoCities...
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Outsourced Program Manager
    I moved my community off of Ning some time ago because of all of the downtime that they were experiencing. I'm using Elgg now, and it's been a challenge, but at least everything is my own now.

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread