....would make my computer lock up. When this happens I can't do anything but shut the power off and on. I can't even use ctrl/alt/delete.

It only happens at a few sites consistently. One of them is the ABestWeb forums which I have bookmarked as:

http://abw.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=548608979

Keep in mind, that post notifications in my inbox will also lock up my computer while in preview mode.

Any idea what causes this and what I can do to stop this from happening??

It am able to post this, but if I hang around I will lock up. Sometimes it will lock up right away. It gets frustrating.

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

Just Lurking
    This sound like you may have conflicting software or corrupt system files. The first thing I usually do is clean out the Startups. Norrow down the possiabilities. Most startups aren't needed. Be brutal. Get rid of as much as you can. I have four little icon in the corner, I could do with out three of them. Leaving speaker volume.

Here's a link to a great resource!

Startups

Next, I clean up the drivers, this I won't go into because it's really not something you should be doing without supervision. And I can't think of a good resource to point you at.

It could be a driver conflict, especailly if your using Windows ME. (SPIT, filthy word) But corrupt files are just as likely because it locks up so often.

And Defrag and do a complete scan disk(surface scan too), once a month atleast, of your hard drive. It helps.

This site is only a symptom and not a cause.

Hope some of this helps.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Buddha:
    This sound like you may have conflicting software or corrupt system files. The first thing I usually do is clean out the Startups. Norrow down the possiabilities. Most startups aren't needed. Be brutal. Get rid of as much as you can. I have four little icon in the corner, I could do with out three of them. Leaving speaker volume.

Here's a link to a great resource!

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Next, I clean up the drivers, this I won't go into because it's really not something you should be doing without supervision. And I can't think of a good resource to point you at.

It could be a driver conflict, especailly if your using Windows ME. (SPIT, filthy word) But corrupt files are just as likely because it locks up so often.

And Defrag and do a complete scan disk(surface scan too), once a month atleast, of your hard drive. It helps.

This site is only a symptom and not a cause.

Hope some of this helps.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes that does help as it gives me an idea why it is happening. As far as being brutal, not a problem. I venture where I shouldn't sometimes and is how I learn. Not that I really want to, but if I mess up, I just reformat the whole damn thing. Something I have done plenty of times already. Saves me from the problems I cause when I don't know what I am doing. lol

Thanks for the info.

"The most successful con artist will have you believing he is the most ethical person you will ever know."

Check if the sites that lock up your computer all run java applets.

Konstantin,
    www.GenericGifts.com

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread