Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Geno - is it Vic or is it Vich?
    Geno,

I need your help with something. I am a bug on pronouncing a person's name correctly.

That said, for years I've been listening to tennis broadcasters murder (at least I think they are) the pronounciation of Serb, Czech and Russian players names. For instance, they pronounce any players name that ends in "vic" as "vitch." They pronounce Goran Ivanisovic as Ivaniso"vich". They pronounce Ivanovic as Ivano"vich" - Jankovic is Janko"vich" etc etc etc.

Oh sure, there will be some who say that there are more important issues before our country. Petty things like the mortgage crisis, crumbling real estate market, rising healthcare costs, spiraling fuel and food costs, Google algorythym changes, corrupt political system, instability in the middle east and the usual partisan crap. But THIS one is bigger than all of those!

So help me out here Geno. Is the proper pronounciation of the name Jankovic - Janko"vic" or vitch? By the way, they also pronounce the first syllable of Jankovic's name as a "J" sound instead of a "Y" sound. So my belief to date has been that her last name is pronounced "Yankovic". So what say you Geno? Am I on the right track or are the english speaking pseudo intellectuals calling Wimbledon right now the new english professors?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

ABW Ambassador
    Jelena Jankovic (yeh-LAY'-nuh YANK'-oh-vihch)

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Jelena Jankovic (yeh-LAY'-nuh YANK'-oh-vihch)
    I understand the Yeh pronounciation. That's how I pronounce it too. I pronlounce her name as Yehlaynuh Yankovic. But I am not clear on the "vic" pronounciation your refer to above (vihch) I do not know how to pronounce that properly either. In the english version would it sound like "vick" or "vitch"?
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Alan,

Listening to the pronunciation of the Slavonic-origin lastnames in English-language sports broadcasts has always been quite an entertainment to listen to. Especially in football/soccer where there are at least 11 lastnames that they have to repeat throughout the game...

As for your question, they are pronouncing this one right. It is always "viCH".

Geno

ABW Ambassador
    I think that it is amazing that so many of these Eastern European countries can produce so many of the top tennis players so consistently.

The USA is huge, but they really are falling behind in both the mens and womens sides. If you take the Williams sisters out, the USA have very few players capable of winning any more.

Yet the USA can dominate in so many other sports, and they used to dominate the tennis

One of the best names is Miroslav Satan -- http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/666 . But that's one name the announcers go out of their way to try to pronounce correctly (although it's apparently still not quite right).

Notice the player id in the URL of his profile at that link.
    --

Thanks Geno & you too Julian,

I feel your pride Julian. The tennis pendulum swings from decade to decade as popularity of the sport grows in countries where (before) it was not a big sport. Obviously, the more people who play, the more contenders that emerge. It's good for the sport too as it creates parity that increases world-wide audiences. In the 50's and 60's it was Australia. In the 60's - 90's the U.S. Now in last 7 years we're seeing some quality E.E. contenders emerging, and undoubtedly we will see shifts again as new faces emerge from different regions, so don't write the U.S. off forever! LOL For now, let's just enjoy Federer and Nadal!!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread