Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Granite Countertops are Indestructible?
    We decided to get some granite countertops installed to replace the existing formica countertops in the kitchen. They came today to install and I gotta say they look really nice.

Now I am told that there is pretty much nothing I can do to hurt these things. The guy told me you can put hot pans down, use them as a cutting board, or anything else and nothing will happen to them. The only maintenance item is to re-seal them every 6 months.

For those of you that have granite countertops, is that all true? Or, have I been mis-led?

Troll Killer and best Snooper!
    I decide when the pigs fly!
    That guy lied to you. Granite has a hardness of 6 on Moh's scale. That means it can be scratched by anything harder than 6. Like a steel knife. Also granite can be etched if spills of acidic liquids aren't wiped up pretty fast. There's a wide variety of granite. Some is more brittle than others and will chip if you bang something on it.

When we did our kitchen remodel I joined a forum for people who were doing kitchen remodeling. After hearing a few horror stories about granite countertop problems I decided to buy Silestone countertops. Silestone is a man-made granite composite. It's more expensive but it requires no maintenance, can't be etched, and doesn't scratch or chip as easily. It's not as pretty as granite but I like to cook and I needed a countertop that could take some abuse.

Enjoy your countertops. I hope your granite has a long, healthy lifespan!

Quote Originally Posted by Rhea
    That guy lied to you. Granite has a hardness of 6 on Moh's scale. That means it can be scratched by anything harder than 6. Like a steel knife. Also granite can be etched if spills of acidic liquids aren't wiped up pretty fast. There's a wide variety of granite. Some is more brittle than others and will chip if you bang something on it.

When we did our kitchen remodel I joined a forum for people who were doing kitchen remodeling. After hearing a few horror stories about granite countertop problems I decided to buy Silestone countertops. Silestone is a man-made granite composite. It's more expensive but it requires no maintenance, can't be etched, and doesn't scratch or chip as easily. It's not as pretty as granite but I like to cook and I needed a countertop that could take some abuse.

Enjoy your countertops. I hope your granite has a long, healthy lifespan!
    *makes mental note in case we remodel* Thanks for the info, Rhea.

ABW, not just for affiliate marketing info anymore!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

MM, if you do decide to remodel your kitchen let me know and I'll give you a link to the kitchen remodeling forum I joined. I saved myself a lot of money and a lot of heartache by reading about other people's experiences and asking for their opinions and feedback.

Kitchen remodeling is too expensive and stressful to go it "alone."

we went with Zodiac counter tops... it has the same look and feel as granite but supposedly the only thing that scratches it are diamonds and no sealing...

*warning* do not play with your diamond collection on your counters***

2 years and running - no sealing and no scratches - (knock on wood)
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

I too just remodeled and got the Zodiac. I love it.

MM, if you do decide to remodel your kitchen let me know and I'll give you a link to the kitchen remodeling forum I joined. I saved myself a lot of money and a lot of heartache by reading about other people's experiences and asking for their opinions and feedback.

Kitchen remodeling is too expensive and stressful to go it "alone."
    Thanks. Given the state of the economy, remodeling is a luxury we'll probably put off for a while. But when we do, I'll know who to talk to.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

I try to wipe up spill right away otherwise they leave a watermark. I have not dared to cut anything on it and I never believe what sales people say anyway.

I have not heard of Zodiac. Is it like Corian? I like that look too.

The fun part was going to the granite warehouse actually pick out the slab of granite that would go into the kitchen. We could specify exactly how the template would fit since our granite had different colorations and highlights.

I guess time will tell. It does look very nice.

Zodiac is a granite composite, like Silestone.

Zodiac is a granite composite, like Silestone.
    exactly.. man made
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

On the new house we are having built near the beach we opted to not use granite. Granite is truly beautiful, but we decided to go with a solid synthetic counter (can't remember the brand, but nearly as costly as granite). Not as shiny and can be easily be repaired (by professionals) if something "goes wrong" - which can happen at the beach.

Enjoy the remodeling and the beauty of granite.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

We have granite and I have ZERO complaints and only 100% positive things to say about it. Regardless of its "6" rating, we cut on it w/o using a cutting board, place boiling pots directly from the burner to the top without concern and it handles red wine spills ( almost everynight! ) without ever staining. We have NEVER taken the time to seal it every 6 months because our housekeeper knows "THE SECRET" to keeping it clean and shiny! I love knowing that it is all natural, a look and feel that man-made stuff will never be able to duplicate.

Enjoy your purchase! You made the right choice and will love it forever!

Granite is extremely durable. You can place hot pans directly on the surface without causing damage. You can also cut directly on the counter surface, but I would not recommend doing this because the typical steel knife blade has a hardness level of approximately 5.5, which makes it softer than granite (approx 6.0 hardness as Rhea stated above). Cutting directly on the counter will dull your knives much quicker than using a cutting board. You will likely need to re-seal the counter every six months-2 years. I typically use soap and water to clean the counter; but, if I really want to make it shine I use a granite-specific cleaner.

We did have a stain on ours one time from some type of dark red juice that spilled when we didn't know it. But my husband read online to lay a wet paper towel on it and let the water saturate the stain and the towel absorb it back up. Worked like a charm. I've had really good luck with my granite counters.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Granite
    Actually the true lie is that man made composites are stronger, less porous, more heat resistant, more scratch resistant blah blah blah.
    The composite stone merchants call it aggressive marketing, those in the granite trade call it bulls**t

test 1) take a blowtorch and turn the open flame onto an offcut piece of granite, heat it till you get tired and see if there is any damage. Beware you will have a seriously hot surface, man made composites on the other hand, have a flashpoint (which means they self ignite at about 400degrees) and firemen are required to use pressurised suits when dealing with composite fires)

Scratch Resisant , you could put micro scratches in granite if you had a very sharp, s/s serrated edge knife that you applied lots of pressure to, this same knife would ruin any man made composite. having said that if you dont mind sharpening your knives regularly a granite cutting board is prolly the best, most durable and hygenic choice.

Ask yourself if a zirconia is superior to a diamond, if vinyl is superior to leather, and then, is molten polymer/resins (plastic) and stone dust and chips superior to natural granite? . I dont think so either

Granite was formed millions of years ago, when molten rock slowly cooled, it consists of quartz and feldspar with various minerals giving the different colours.

Also Granite is variously rated between 6.5 and 8 on the Mohs scale so its not hard to see who was lied to here. It is not by accident that some of the Remaining Great Wonders of the Ancient World were made from Granite. Some of the Egyptian Pyramids, Great wall of China, macchu piccu etc,

Care for your granite http://www.ehow.com/video_18200_clea...ountertop.html just a quicky and note the reference to stainless steel knives being at 6 on the Mohs.

All I can say Seymor is that in 10 years when the composite buyers are replacing their scuffed, stained and faded counters, yours granite will still be in top nick, also 12 to 18 months with a sealer and use ph neutral cleaner. Composites break down and fade in direct sunlight, so the Beachy best keep that composite top in the shade. Granite has been in kitchens since time immemorial and there are kitchens that date 1500 + years old with original granite, compare that with claims of the composites , which have hardly been around for 15 years.

Black Granites (not porous enough to seal) and composites are both more susceptible to damage from Citric acid, good idea to wipe your counter down within an 2 hours if citric acid has been spilled on it (lemonade included for safety ). Sealed granites are less susceptible, however like all things, good maintenance leads to a long life. Recommend 12 to 18 months with a quality permeable sealer and use ph neutral cleaner.

A bit long winded but it is time to put these silly anti granite myths to bed.

Rock or Plastic?
    No brainer..

Quote Originally Posted by gordo
    Rock or Plastic?
    No brainer..
    That's funny! Thanks for the input gordo. I really do like my new granite countertops.

Quote Originally Posted by gordo
    having said that if you dont mind sharpening your knives regularly a granite cutting board is prolly the best, most durable and hygenic choice.
    I would never, ever use granite, rock, or any other such surface as a cutting board. I like my knives. Vegetables, fruits and other generally non-animal items get a well-treated bamboo board, and my poultry, meats and fish get a heavy plastic board that can be run through the dishwasher.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I love the natural granite countertops and fireplace facings. Did a web site for some local Iraqis whose family have been granite stonecutters for generations. Real challenge to make the site and content as only th ewife and obe brother spoke good english. Italian marble is also beautiful and expensive.

web site http://www.galaxygranitetops.com/ with the usual amount of graphics...
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

We chose granite for our kitchen countertops when we built 6 years ago. We've never had to "re-seal them every 6 months" (although perhaps maybe we should find out what that involves) and have never had a problem with them. We do put hot pans directly from the oven on them, with no problems. We're happy with granite.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

got granite in new house 10 years ago, and it still looks as good as new. we don't seal it, but like iownie, our housekeeper seems to do whatever is needed to keep it nice. We cut on it (we use cutting boards most of the time though), we put hot pans on it, and spill anything under the sun on it, even acidic stuff like juices.
    I love the granite.

We have granite for over 12 years and not a single scratch, We put hot pans down, cut on them occasionally (agree with hectic, i like my knives), no stains (but we do have a dark colored granite - I hear lighter ones do stain). The trick is to clean them with mildly soapy water, no windex - dulls the shine.

This message has been deleted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.. Reason: spam
    Gee, what a shock. Didn't see that coming... nope, not at all
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Smile granite or marble countertop is great
    As a granite and marble countertop supplier,I really want to express my like to natural stone products.at first,our nature give us so fantastic gift.then we use these stone to make the goods we need,to beautify our house.so nice !

Acutally,granite countertop is difficult to be destroyed,caused it's hard material.when your countertop is polished,you don't need to take care too much of it.when it's honed,you can do sealed,to keep the surface well.

ABW Ambassador
    I went with silestone, and I love it (I hadn't heard of Zodiac). I would be careful with the granite, just in case. Even though these products are supposed to withstand pretty much anything, I don't put hot pans directly on the counter, and I still use a cutting board.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread