stats on broadband and dial-up users.
    search on "Study says many dial-up users don't want broadband"

Stats on broad band vs dial-up users. The remaining dial-up users may be die hards who will never convert. This article says dial up accounts for only only 10% of home internet access.

Do you folks ignore dial up users when designing your websites?

What's dial-up?

Tax Paying Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Code Monkey
    What's dial-up?
    I remember that process................I was at the
    mercy of my phone company......aaaaaaaargggggg!!!!!

Now I am at the mercy of my cable company........
    aaaaaaaargggggg!!!!!

You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

http and a telephoto
    "only 10%"

Of course you should be designing for dialup users! And what are the demographics of that 10%? They could be a higher percentage for your own sites. And some sites may get 0 dialup users, maybe by design and maybe just because their audience isn't the people that use dialup.

And lest we forget, there are still areas of the country that don't have high speed available, not every area has cell service yet either.

Not everyone has the latest computer and lots of memory either. There *are* still people using... ready? Windows 98!!!! And more using Windows ME (***shudder***).

Work customer service for a large site for a while and listen to the phone calls related to site access.... it'll scare ya!
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Dial-up users tend to be retirees that only check emails and are too scared to enter credit card info onto the internet..

Quote Originally Posted by MnemonicGuy
    search on "Study says many dial-up users don't want broadband"

Stats on broad band vs dial-up users. The remaining dial-up users may be die hards who will never convert. This article says dial up accounts for only only 10% of home internet access.

Do you folks ignore dial up users when designing your websites?
    First of all, what article? You're going to have to be awfully convincing to sell the idea that only 10% of users are on dial-up. The real number is up around 50-55%. Second, no, I don't personally ignore dial-up users, and I never will. Even if the figure is only 10% someday - or less - those are still people that might be willing to buy my product or read my content. There's no excuse for poor web design, least of all the notion that since "everyone" is on broadband that page and image sizes no longer matter.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Dial-up users tend to be retirees that only check emails and are too scared to enter credit card info onto the internet..
    I'd like to see a study that shows that.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080703/...roadband_study

"Overall, Pew found that 55 percent of American adults now have broadband access at home, up from 47 percent a year earlier and 42 percent in March 2007. By contrast, only 10 percent of Americans now have dial-up access."

That is 10% of Americans, not 10% of Internet users.

does anyone really design a webpage with dial up users in mind anymore?

I never have, and I don't care if it takes 45 seconds for my page to load for them.

http and a telephoto
    **cough*** b*llsh*t**cough**

That is your personal opinion. I happen to know people smack in the middle of California, Ohio and other states that happen to be young people that are techie graphics people that do NOT have access to high speed internet.

To make a statement like yours is making an excuse, it's not based on data.

Although there are people out there that don't like to enter credit card info on the net, they are akin to the people that won't call and give it on a wireless phone either Yes they are still out there....

The point is, they are a viable part of the internet community and making a site that excludes them if you are trying to sell stuff isn't a smart idea. But hey, if you exclude them, someone else will get their traffic
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080703/...roadband_study

"Overall, Pew found that 55 percent of American adults now have broadband access at home, up from 47 percent a year earlier and 42 percent in March 2007. By contrast, only 10 percent of Americans now have dial-up access."

Thanks, Chet.

Well, if 10% of Americans are on dial-up, and there's 300 million-ish Americans, that means we're looking at approximately 3 million people that I don't want to alienate just because it's "cool" to have bloated graphics, unnecessary Flash files or poorly written code.

"Ten percent" doesn't sound like a whole lot until you realize it's a few million people.

[edited to add...]
    And that's just Americans. The internet is global, baby. There's no justification for not considering dial-up users. There's a lot that can be done with modern tools; it's not like you need to have a site that dates back to 1999.

And on that note, I'm late for getting on the road for the weekend festivities
    Last edited by HecticDMC; July 3rd, 2008 at 02:08 PM. Reason: edited to add...
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    Well, if 10% of Americans are on dial-up, and there's 300 million-ish Americans, that means we're looking at approximately 3 million people that I don't want to alienate just because it's "cool" to have bloated graphics, unnecessary Flash files or poorly written code.
    Which just goes to show that you don't have to be good at math to be a successful affiliate!

10% of 300 million is 30 million (not 3 million).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

So that means 55% is broadband, 10% is dialup, and 35% is not online.

15% of online users are on dialup. (10/65 = about 15)

There's no reason not to take slow connections into consideration when designing a site and pages. Also, keep in mind that most cell phone browsers are relatively slow. And even with broadband, there are times when it's slow (or am I the only one who has problems?).
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    ... I don't care if it takes 45 seconds for my page to load for them.
    As a dial-up user...

Sites that load in 45 seconds are no problem. Sites that take 4 - 5 minutes to load are much less enjoyable, and then there are some sites that take 45 minutes or more to load. Don't believe that? Well some sites are so loaded with media, that they take more than that to load! There really has to be a good reason to wait that long for a site!!!

Kent

ok, I got it, subtle is not my middle name.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Question answered! Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

I've been a little tired today. Being an ex-computer programmer I usually catch something like that.

keep in mind that most cell phone browsers are relatively slow
    Now this is why its always good to ask a question. I'm old enough to have completely forgotten about cell-phone browsers. I've heard that is usually takes a buyer more than one web site visit to get convinced to buy. So you could have customers investigating first by cell phone and then buying by PC. (assuming they didn't trust wireless internet transactions).

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    Funny this thread comes up.
    Just yesterday one of our support staff starting a dialog with a user complaining that they couldn't complete their online purchase.

So my web designer got involved to ascertain the issue.

The customer was on dialup and turned off images to speed his connection up.

Without an image there was no "add to cart"

We never thought of that, we are now making the appropriate changes.

So yes you need to keep dialup in mind when designing.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    Which just goes to show that you don't have to be good at math to be a successful affiliate!

10% of 300 million is 30 million (not 3 million).
    Uhhh... it was a typo? Errr... the forum software ate my zero? Mmmm...

Okay, you caught me. I was in a rush and didn't check my work. I wasn't thinking right. Of course 3 million is 1% of 300 million, not 10% Thanks for the smack down, Coley, you punk
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Any time!
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by PetsWarehouse.com
    Funny this thread comes up.
    Just yesterday one of our support staff starting a dialog with a user complaining that they couldn't complete their online purchase.

So my web designer got involved to ascertain the issue.

The customer was on dialup and turned off images to speed his connection up.

Without an image there was no "add to cart"

We never thought of that, we are now making the appropriate changes.

So yes you need to keep dialup in mind when designing.

That also means no tracking pixel...

http and a telephoto
    hummmmm..... that wouldn't be a good thing.... wouldn't it still fire because it's on the page even if it isn't visible?
    Deborah Carney

I would think it unlikely, since the user is telling the browser not to load any images at all - it's not just hiding existing images after downloading them, it's simply not downloading them. I could be wrong, but logically, that's what should be happening (otherwise it wouldn't speed up the page b/c images would still be transferred).
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    Correct no tracking. Other issues including many services like aol and netzero offer "accelerated surfing" where images are cached and degraded to hell, meaning image bugs will not track correctly. I have seen this be the cause of a non-tracking sale. And think how many times you hear - "I went to grandma's house and watched her place the order and it didn't track..." $10 says grandma has cheapo cache heavy dialup...

Personally, I will not sacrifice the quality of experience for the bulk of my users to this sub group of users as when I tracked a few years ago (as well as I could) I found them poor converting.

For some verticals like HardwareGeek it makes zero sense to optimize for that class of users. Better to optimize for a good experience for the bulk of your users.

Chet

Affiliate Manager PetsWarehouse.com's Avatar
    That really wouldn't come into play if you coundn't place the order anyway.
    Bob Pets Warehouse
    Worlds Largest Pet Supply DataBase
    Join our Share-A-Sale Program [since 2003] Twitter

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Loxly asked me to respond here... but yes, I'll confirm that no images would in a lot of cases mean no tracking... (if an image pixel was what was being used.... this isn't always the case)
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread