Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Wanted: Affiliate Datafeed Import & Content Management Script
    I've been very disappointed by my recent efforts to find a programmer or team willing to tackle a "somewhat complex" datafeed project.

I do NOT just want an import tool; I want a system that can help me manage the content and flow it into my web sites. Unfortunately, tools like PopShops are quite limited, and are designed primarily for casual users willing to manually use the PopShops interface to select products. Tools like Datafeed Studio are scripted for a very specific "price comparison" or "storefront" layout, and cannot easily be adapted without advanced LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, and PHP) experience.

Here is the current version of my "specification" (it's 10 pages but certainly is nowhere near a final design document): http://www.markwelch.com/datafeed-pr...2008-07-01.pdf

Recent discussions here:

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=106957 (my experience with Datafeed Studio)

http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=101960 (my earlier script queries)

I'm seeking to either "hire" or "partner with" someone who is already somewhat familiar with affiliate datafeeds (ideally, someone who has done at least some basic scripting with datafeeds, more than just WebMerge) to develop the tools I need. Thus far, I've mostly received responses from programmers who know little or nothing about affiliate datafeeds, who want me to pay them open-ended hourly fees while they learn everything "from scratch."

I've also received many responses (mostly from offshore development firms) seeking a very detailed spec, as if I know already exactly what technology and coding techniques will be optimal. If I knew all of that, I'd be coding it myself -- and I absolutely insist on working only with people who are fluent in English.

I've updated my preliminary project description (again):

http://markwelch.com/datafeed-project-2008-07-05a.pdf

And once more: I've uploaded the latest update to my "specification" document at http://www.markwelch.com/datafeed-pr...2008-07-09.pdf

I've just had a look at your specification - most impressed at the work so far.

I'd like to offer few of suggestions.

For the SAS-RAW-DATAFEED table it may be better to create a more generic table otherwise you will have to create a new table everytime you add a network.

So for SAS all you need to store is the number of fields ie 26 when you import the feed you create a table field1, field2, field3,....field26. all these fields contain the max amount of data (blob in MySql). Then in a network / merchant table you have a lookup for each field so field1=>product_id field2=>productname. etc. The network record holds the "standard" but can be altered on a merchant level so that for the merchants with no unique product id you could change the lookup so field26=>product_id or whatever you decide is best.

If you have not already done so you need a field that shows how many header rows should be dropped from the feed.

A lot of the merchant data in the the merchant table is very SAS orientated it may be worth looking at a few other networks to see if that data is (easily) available from them also. From experience if the data is not complete (and accurate) it's sometimes better not to have it at all.

If you intend to create a "Kelkoo" type site more consideration needs to be taken of categories.

In the table structures you make no reference to indexing. It is simpler for searching the table if each table has a unique primary index field.

Merchant_id is used as lookup for various other tables bare in mind that different networks may use a similar merchant id format so the unique identifier should be network/merchant id.

Hope this helps.

Regards Bob

Donk - thanks for the insight.

The problem I face is that in order to choose a developer, I must provide specifications which must include a level of expertise that I do not possess, and I must make a series of technology decisions which I am not competent to make.

My latest fiasco, this week, has been trying to use SQL Server 2005 and SSIS to import datafeeds, and as usual the obstacle is my lack of understanding of the technology I'm using, and the requirement that I spend MANY dozens of hours working through basic tutorials before I have any hope of getting the most basic import to work properly.

I need a trustworthy, competent consultant; I have not found one. What I have found is an endless stream of people with "asserted and apparent competence" who quickly prove to have little more knowledge or experience than I have.

Should I use a temporary table? What should I use as the primary key? What data types should I use? How can I clean the data? When should I reject data that's incomplete? Should I allow "partial importing" if a datafeed contains some invalid data (and if so, how much invalid data is "too much")?

Are there any simple solutions to any single piece of my project? Apparently not; to get my data imported, I will apparently need to spend thousands of dollars. Then to "clean" the data, I will apparently need to spend thousands more. If I specify the project with great detail, then I limit the pool of available developers; if I don't, then I am faced with an endless stream of vague proposals that use technology I'm not familiar with, and so I can't determine whether the proposals even make sense.

I am incredibly frustrated. I've received emails from more than 100 developers, and I've spoken with at least two dozen by telephone.
    I have been unable to identify a single developer who is actually familiar with affiliate datafeeds AND willing to consider my project.

I am now faced with "going back to the drawing board" and making a series of decisions that I am not competent to make: I'll require Windows Server, IIS, SQL Server, and ASP; I'll specify a "near-final" database structure; I'll paint data-entry and management screens. In doing so, I will inevitably make many "wrong" choices, so that once I choose a development team and we agree on a price, there will be many "changes" which will inflate the cost, probably exponentially -- and I'll eventually run out of money long before even the first few phases of the project can be completed.

I'd appreciate any helpful feedback.

Do you have a WAMP setup to practice on? Bumpaw recently posted a good link to the latest version in the AvantLink forum. It says LAMP, but its WAMP. That way you can bumble around without damaging anything at least.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    Do you have a WAMP setup to practice on? Bumpaw recently posted a good link to the latest version in the AvantLink forum. It says LAMP, but its WAMP. That way you can bumble around without damaging anything at least.
    Good luck
    I don't believe that LAMP or WAMP can meet my needs. I'd love to be proven wrong, but thus far no available LAMP or WAMP developer that I've talked to has had any experience with affiliate datafeeds. But to be fair, no available developers appear to have any experience with affiliate datafeeds.

As I mentioned in the Datafeed Studio thread, I did set up a separate VPS to test that LAMP-based solution, and ended up with "server errors" that I could not diagnose, and my hosting support buzzed me off. I tried hiring an on-call LAMP consultant, but got responses only from bozos. Datafeed Studio certainly worked well "for what it did," but it is a LAMP-only product, and I don't have access to the required LAMP knowledge. If I'd tried to use Datafeed Studio as the foundation for my project, I would have been unable to understand ANY ASPECT of the project implementation.

It is not supposed to do the job, it is to allow you to learn to use the server tools on your own machine. WAMP is Windows, Apache, MySQL and PHP that you install to use like a sandbox, to learn how they work together, to try out various solutions. It is not a solution, it's a do-it yourself server setup. LAMP is the same thing only Linux based rather than Windows. If you want a IIS setup, you would be better off with WAMP.

There are scripts for importing datafeeds here on ABW you could try it out on a WAMP setup to see what changes you would like to see and then maybe find someone who could help out with that specific task. I am still missing parts of the puzzle myself, so I'm no help for what you're trying to do; but others have used the information from ABW to get started. With WAMP you'd be importing to your own setup and not on a hosted site. Instead of depending on hosted support you could change your own 'server' settings. Just an idea, it may be far from useful depending on your own comfort zone with server settings. It may not fit; I just thought it might be something to take a look at if it could help you learn the server ropes better.

Have you checked out existing solutions like Cusimano or FeedShare?

> "It is not supposed to do the job, it is to allow you to learn to use the server tools on your own machine." <

Yes, of course, I bought a book on PHP and MySQL, and I could buy more books to learn the environment and tools (LAMP, WAMP, ColdFusion, Joomla, whatever). But my experience with LAMP was that every "five minute task" took eight hours to figure out. I certainly don't understand what advantage WAMP has over a "pure Microsoft" solution; WAMP sounds like just another opportunity for finger-pointing.

I don't want to learn a new system, especially since I have no reason to believe that it will actually move me forward toward my project goals. After struggling with LAMP, I realized that I might spend hundreds of hours, only to find that I need to learn other solutions instead.

I want to buy a car so I can drive across the country. I don't want to learn how to manufacture wheels, or how to build an engine -- I want the tool that will help me accomplish my goal. Since nobody makes a car, I am willing to pay for someone to build me a car, ideally including instructions on how to change a flat tire, or replace a broken windshield wiper. Lots of people say they can build me a car, but nobody has one ready to sell me, nor have they ever built a car before. But I have no reason to believe that they are actually competent to build a car, nor that their choice of materials and components is reasonable or absurd (an engine made of lightweight aluminum? Three wheels or five?).

> "There are scripts for importing datafeeds here on ABW you could try it out on a WAMP setup to see what changes you would like to see and then maybe find someone who could help out with that specific task. * * * Have you checked out existing solutions like Cusimano or FeedShare?" < [/QUOTE]

Again, I've tried many scripts; I've paid programmers to create scripts; I've used PopShops and Datafeed Studio; I've looked at Cusimano and FeedShare and GoldenCAN and DataFeedFile and a dozen others; I've contacted EVERY COMPANY that I can identify which offers ANY kind of datafeed tool -- and they all agree that their products can't meet my needs, and they are not interested in developing this for me.

Datafeed import is just the very first phase of the project; the fact that I can't get what I need for this phase (which many, many, many people have asserted should be quite easy and straightforward) suggests that the entire project may simply not be possible. (I know, intellectually, that it is possible, but I can certainly envision spending lots of money on multiple development teams that simply cannot do the work.)

I'm looking for a competent developer who has experience with affiliate datafeeds. I am not looking to build a system myself; I would like a system I can use and modify and maintain, if possible, but I do not believe it would make sense for me to try to learn a bunch of new technologies and try to use them to implement a complex project, without any help whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Should I use a temporary table? What should I use as the primary key? What data types should I use? How can I clean the data? When should I reject data that's incomplete? Should I allow "partial importing" if a datafeed contains some invalid data (and if so, how much invalid data is "too much")?
    I can only answer these questions from a PHP/MySQL viewpoint. ASP/MSSQL solutions could be different.

A temporary file is usefull in MySQL because you can use the "load data infile $filename.txt into table tablename......". This is much more efficient than reading the file one line at a time manipulating the data into the correct columns and inserting the data into the table one line at a time. Using this method requires the table and the filedata to match ie column1 from the csv file goes into column 1 of the database table. I think the nearest equivalent in MSSQL is the bcp utility which I believe can only be entered at the command prompt but I'm sure there would be ways of automating this.

In general if there is no obvious primary key I create one. So every time I add a merchant I create a new unique merchant ID. You could (in MySQL anyway) create a primary key with more than one field so your primary key could be network/merchant_id.

The data types you have listed in the spreadshhet appear to be reasonable. The optimum values can be found by trial and error and subsequently changed using the alter table command.

Cleaning the 99% of errors in the data can be easily achieved in PHP by the methods I posted in the Identifying "problematic" text strings in datafeeds thread. Where the merchant has garbage like "THIS IS A RESTRICTED ITEM" this can only be sorted out manually.

As to deleting partial/invalid data this a personal judgement call. If the data is so bad that you can't market the product or it messes up your site then it is not worth having. For instance on a cd site one of the merchants had virtually no images is his feed but the other merchants I used did have images so each particular cd page showed the images from the other merchants. If I were just using his feed in a standalone site it would not have been any use using his feed at all.

Perhaps if all affiliates reported errors in the feeds directly to the merchants something may get done about it.

Regards Bob.

Mark, I have followed this thread all the way and it's not clear in my mind exactly what the end result of your project is supposed to look like. Is this because I didn't read carefully enough or is it like the Manhattan project where components are built independent of each other?

I don't really understand why experience with affiliate data feed is needed. It seems like a simple data transfer problem. You have a required database result and the programmer's job is to take the feeds that are available and write code that will purify and port the usable data and reject the rest.

Think about personally contacting David Cusimano and directing him to this thread and asking him for an opinion. He is sharp as a tack and a nice guy to boot.

Bumpaw: The end result of my project is supposed to be a tool that I can use to manage the content of most of my web sites, including "affiliate datafeed" content, plus my own editorial content, and to generate the actual HTML pages, AND to help me propegate and manage my AdWords PPC campaigns (for example, so that if a merchant discontinues a product that I'm promoting via AdWords, the system detects this and pauses the ad). Whether it's one tool, or three or five tools that work together, depends on the implementation -- but it is inconceivable to me that these pieces could be (affordably) created independent of each other. I've always expected to develop the tool in phases -- for example, I expect that the AdWords functionality will be a later phase.

Part of the problem is that I am hesitant to try to create a "more detailed specification" (than the current 13-page document plus its several multi-page linked documents), because I know that each detail I provide will limit the available choices; when I sat down yesterday to try to elaborate some aspects of the project, I found that I needed to make decisions (OS, web server, scripting language, database) which I am not yet competent to make; I need the benefit of someone with development expertise to help me define the project, but I haven't found anyone whom I have any reason to trust.

Regarding the datafeed-importing requirements, you wrote, "It seems like a simple data transfer problem," and I agree -- it seems simple. I agree that a competent developer should be able to identify and deal with these issues relatively easily, clearly, and quickly; however, I simply cannot distinguish "competent" developers from the much-larger pool of developers.

Thus, I disagree about the need for someone to have specific knowledge of affiliate datafeeds, because there are certain types of problems that appear to occur in these feeds that apparently don't happen in 95% of data-exchange applications that "the folks I have talked to" have done in the past. Basically, everyone I talk with says that this (datafeed import phase) seems like a simple task, but everyone I've talked to who has actually attempted the work says that the task is more complex and difficult than they anticipated.

This week, for example, I paid a consultant who claimed that he has actually has used SQL Server and SSIS to import a wide range of data from a wide range of sources in a wide range of projects, who said that the issues actually arising in the datafeed import are so new and different that it would take many hours to diagnose and deal with each issue (basically, trying to turn a "simple project" into an open-ended hourly consulting arrangement with no discernable limits --- a blank check -- and this just for the first part of the first phase of my project). I suspect this is really evidence that the fellow lacked the competence and experience he claimed -- but I really don't know.

I believe that I did submit a query to David Cusimano via the contact form on the site, but I've received no response.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 12th, 2008 at 12:04 PM.

I strongly suggest going back to your LAMP experiments with Datafeed Studio. You've already got vested interest and your error can likely be solved by many of us here. Since most of the datafeed sites online today are written in PHP there is a lot more support available. You can start with something scalable and hire developers to add pieces along the way. The hardest part about your script is scaling it to handle millions of products, not choosing the platform.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by Snib
    > I strongly suggest going back to your LAMP experiments with Datafeed Studio. <
    I don't much like the idea, but this option is definitely at the top of my list if I abandon the main project.

Essentially, this would mean dropping most of the project "phases" and just working with the existing Datafeed Studio solution and possibly create some scripts or apps that draw from the MySQL data to generate pages and such -- there is no reasonable way I could expect to do the kind of "content management" that I want, and certainly not the desired AdWords functionality.

DS provides a fairly good tool for importing datafeeds, but it really ends there; I don't think I could adapt its limited content-management functionality to meet even my most basic needs.

If I went back to DS, I'd need to either spend hundreds of hours learning LAMP (and if so, I'd need to decide whether to try to "learn while doing," which would mean constantly pausing to spend 6-8 hours to figure out "five-minute problems") or pausing all other work while I learn Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Apache) or pay a third-party LAMP developer to "learn how Datafeed Studio works" so they could implement extensions (and if I need to change developers, then I'd need to pay a new developer to learn both DS and the extensions).

I'd also be very concerned that any solution built around Datafeed Studio would potentially be vulnerable to failure with any upgrades to that software.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    pay a third-party LAMP developer to "learn how Datafeed Studio works" so they could implement extensions (and if I need to change developers, then I'd need to pay a new developer to learn both DS and the extensions).

I'd also be very concerned that any solution built around Datafeed Studio would potentially be vulnerable to failure with any upgrades to that software.
    I'm sure there are many more developers capable of learning existing software rather than starting from scratch. You could easily save hundreds of hours using any one of the datafeed scripts for purchase. The more existing functionality, the less work necessary to customize. Adding functionality to this script might even be fun or interesting to some developers.

- Scott
    Hatred stirs up strife, But love covers all transgressions.

Hi Mark
    I'm building your solution right now.

I was hired to develop a solution similar to your doc. (has a lot to do with my complaining about specs)

The solution is .NET 2.0 and SQL Server 2005 on Windows Server 2003

I am receiving via ftp 16.4 GB of Data from Commission Junction daily

The first step was creating a routine that would unzip the XML data feeds from CJ, extract them to a folder, and import them into sql server in a temp table the import was no easy task.

The second step was to write an extremely complicated SQL query that pulls out the program name recurses the categories fields and creates a hirearchal database table that can then be queried using a recursive sql query
    this means that there is no limit to the depth of categories delivered by the program. I have had to do the recursion 4 times because they have used several different delimiters on the field. The only error is that one of the delimeters they have used is the - character so in some cases that character is used in a word ie (all-in-one) so that is split into categories (all -> In -> One) sucks but no way around it.

The third step was a control panel that allows my client to create his own categories and then subjegate the cj categories to his top level categories.

The forth step (that I am working on now) is to allow the client to merge CJ categories so that they can then be merged again into his top level categories.

The fifth step is the import, merge and update of new data daily.

The final step is to display the data and allow the user to compare prices of similar products from different programs.

So does that sound like your solution?

Mark

I've read the first paragraph of your pdf spec document - and you are making everything far too complicated. The frustration and confusion between yourself and prospective developers is easy to understand.

Point 1: There is no difference between an affiliate datafeed and any other text document containing data in delimited fields. This is a standard way of importing data into databases.

Point 2: Is LAMP capable of meeting all your requirements? Absolutely. The advantage of LAMP over windows-based solutions is that all components are free with most UNIX/LINUX hosting services. If you want to use SQL Server you are facing heavy license fees.

Point 3: Can you do it yourself? No. You can't just pick this stuff up in a short space of time.

Your specification should just outline what your functional requirements are... You don't have to specify what technical platforms should be used to achieve them - just say what you require it to do.

By pitching straight in with the word 'affiliate' you are confusing people who are unfamiliar with affiliate marketing. You need someone who can import data into a database from a delimited text file. Plain and simple. (For that part of the spec.)

By mentioning services like GoldenCan, PopShops, and DataFeedFile and Cusimano scripts - your prospects will think they can't understand your requirements without knowing about those scripts and how they work and what they do.

Why not just explain in simple terms what you want the system to do?

(Ie, you need someone to create scripts to import data from a delimited text file into a database, and dynamically pull data from the database and format and display the data on webpages...etc etc etc)

There are lots of developers capable of meeting your requirements. You've probably already spoken to some of them.

Hope this helps.

(Not beating up on you, by the way - I wish you the best of luck with this project).

This is what I get for being away for awhile.

Linux, Mysql, PHP, .NET, SQL Server are all just tools. You can make them do anything. I *promise* you anything you can do in one language you can do in another. May take more time and more steps. But it can be done.

Re: Requiring the technical detail not being present in the document. That is not a big deal. But be prepared for a lot of questions to fine tune and understand your generalitites. I deal with this all of the time on software development projects. I get a couple of bullet items and am told to create solutions based on that. The result is alot of questions to ensure that the tree swings comes out the way it should. This is part of software development.

FYI... the fact that the word "affiliate" is tacked onto something does not make it more complicated. It is data - plain and simple.

Mark - Drop me a PM if you are still not getting what you need from anybody. I'll hop over and go take a look at your specs right quick.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

FollowUp.. Mark I saw nothing in there that was terribly complicated or outrageous as far as your demands. As long as you are prepare for an iterative development cycle and alot of questions you should easily be able to get what you are looking for.

To add to the technical "how-to" above.... I'd suggest PHP/MySQL (any platform) due to the simplicity and ease of editing. And make sure you use the 5.x version of each. (MS makes some great tools. I love .NET. But it requires more expensive developer tool to build and publish solutions).
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Don't be fooled
    Don't kid yourself this is an expensive project regardless of the development environment.
    The size of the data alone is going to cost you in storage space and bandwidth.
    Importing the data and then making it manageable is a huge undertaking because we are talking in the range of 2 million products.

Getting categories figured out is a whole different ball of wax.

Any way you slice it, if it is product data feeds you are after you are going to spend some money getting it right.

Update: As discussed in the Datafeed Studio thread, I decided to give that product another try. Since then, I've hired a developer.

Since I couldn't figure out how to re-install Datafeed Studio by myself, I also sought out a LAMP consultant, and quickly found and hired a developer (Rob) who seems quite competent and reasonably inexpensive. (I used Scriptlance and sought bids for "10 hours of LAMP consulting.")

Rob walked me through the setup of my new VPS account hired for this purpose, and he then implemented several minor adaptations to Datafeed Studio (adding a tab to paste and insert a list of new merchant datafeeds [so I didn't have to fill in a separate form for each of 500 merchants] and modifying the default template to present search-results data in a format I preferred for my testing).

I then asked Rob to review my entire project specification and consider making a proposal to work on the project. As I expected, he asked insightful questions and made specific recommendations, and estimated the potential costs of different approaches. Ultimately, we agreed to move forward with development of a LAMP solution on an hourly basis, and he has begun the work.

I'll start a new discussion thread when there is news to report -- hopefully within 10 days or so.
    Last edited by markwelch; August 5th, 2008 at 01:54 PM.

Clarification: I've leased a separate dedicated server for the new project, and my developer will be implementing a solution that does not use Datafeed Studio.

And here we go again.

My developer, who seemed to be pretty clever, turns out to be a flake. Each week, he's devoted less billable time to my project (none at all for the past two weeks), and he accomplishes less and less with each hour of work. His early work was great, and was completed in roughly the time he predicted.

I must now accept that I've wasted all the time and money invested in this project. What I have, for my money, is a bunch of incomprehensible code scattered across many different folders on my leased dedicated server. I don't even know how to make a backup of the work done (and quite frankly, I think it might be a waste of time to do so).

I should NEVER have gone against my earlier judgment that paying hourly for a Linux developer was an unacceptable option. I also should have pulled the plug six weeks ago, when the developer first started to fall behind schedule, without any credible explanation. Instead, because I was busy on another project, I decided to just wait and hope for the best -- and ended up wasting a bunch of additional money.

Life sucks.

Mark - hit me up at patrick at allaboutfocus . com if you want me to take a look at this . I am sure I've said it before, but all I do all day long is manage developers.
    ---
    ---

Sorry to hear of your problems with this, Mark. I have never hired a developer before, but you have given me a few things to keep in mind in case I ever do. Hopefully someone else will be able to pick up where he had left off. My bro-in-law is a developer though and if I know one thing from him...he likes his projects to be solely his projects. Don't know if all developers are like that or not. For your sake, I hope not. Best of luck.

-sfcom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast