Thread: [Video] Wade Tonkin's Interview with Me at Affiliate Summit (W) 2008

[Video] Wade Tonkin's Interview with Me at Affiliate Summit (W) 2008

If you've got 8 min 39 sec to spare, I've just published both its small-screen version at my blog, and included a link to larger version there too.

Thank you for uploading it to Viddler.com today, and letting me know, Wade.

Geno

PS: I've promised a more detailed breakdown of the sample elsewhere here at ABW. Will post it in my blog very soon.

ABW Ambassador
    Really interesting and compelling interview. I am on my way to Amazon to buy a copy.

Just as an aside though. I work at the help desk in a Barnes and Noble about 20 hours a week. And at least 30% of the customers walk in with internet research (from both Amazon and the B&N website), ask if we have the book in stock and then buy it from us. What amazes me is the number who have us order it for them, if we don't have it in stock.

There is a difference in the folks who call, WHILE doing their research online. If we have the book they come in a pick it up, but if we don't most order it themselves.

Price is a factor for the second group, not the first. There seems to be a desire to have the book RIGHT NOW.

A smaller number call because they can't figure out the ordering process and we have to do it for them.

Others call or come in to find out what the buzz on the book is because they want to have a different type of interaction with the source of the information. They don't know me from the man on the moon a lot of time, but if I say I didn't like a book, about 80% of the time they say "Well what did you like, I'll get that."

Anyways can't wait to read the book.

great interview, and the book sounds very interesting

good luck with it

Thank you, both, for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    Just as an aside though. I work at the help desk in a Barnes and Noble about 20 hours a week. And at least 30% of the customers walk in with internet research (from both Amazon and the B&N website), ask if we have the book in stock and then buy it from us. What amazes me is the number who have us order it for them, if we don't have it in stock.

There is a difference in the folks who call, WHILE doing their research online. If we have the book they come in a pick it up, but if we don't most order it themselves.

Price is a factor for the second group, not the first. There seems to be a desire to have the book RIGHT NOW.
    How interesting. But it's true: the brick-n-mortar store definitely beats its very own online version by the factors of wait, and added shipping cost. It may be therefore wise for traditional merchants (with a large network of brick-n-mortar stores) that also have online operations to borrow CircuitCity's idea of a 24-minute in-store pickup. I've tried several times and am a big fan of the idea. In most cases you can pick up an item at a more attractive price online, and then just pick up at your local store.

Geno

5. Newsletter Signup