Anyone getting Link Code Error's?
    Just throwing this out there, is anyone else getting oodles of "Link Code Error" with no referring URL in their invalid link report? I've started to get these as of a few weeks ago, it started off slowly and now it seems to have gone insane - and it's all from my PPC ads.

Michel suggested it could be from linkcheckers, then today I read this: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/06...raffic_as_ie6/

Whatcha think? Coincidence or definitely a connection? Is this affecting you?

Rob C

YUP! I'm getting them too

I've been seeing them for about the past week. They are all for current and even paused PPC ads.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm getting a lot of them lately. Since there is no referring info, I had to spend some time trying to find out where those error code links come from. All the links I can find seem working fine.

I emailed SAS once asking if they are doing any testing, they said if I test the links on my site and they work fine, it could be that the merchants went temporarily offline and make links go down.

I have no idea why would this happen. I hope I will stop getting error codes soon.

According to the article, AVG (a popular antivirus program) just released their latest version of the software and this software includes an automatic linkchecker.

The way it works, if you have it installed, is this. Suppose you do a google search for some keyword. As you're looking at the search results, before you even click any link, AVG is quietly checking all the links in the background - and it does this by pretending to be Internet Explorer 6. It's doing this in order to determine if any of those links go to a malicious site that might download viruses or trojans to your computer.

People are annoyed because checking every link on every web page really slows down their computers. Webmasters around the world are annoyed because they're seeing an increase in traffic in their logs - and it's fake traffic, it's just the linkchecker.

Now, my invalid link report started showing these Link Code Errors around the same time this silliness started, so I think it may be related.

I've sent the story to Michael at SAS, so we'll see what they say.

The Firefox version of AVG LinkScanner turns URLs like shareasale.com/r.cfm?b=11111&u=222222&m=3333 into shareasale.com/r.cfm%3Fb%3D11111%26u%3D222222%26m%3D3333 ... That may be what is generating the link errors. It's annoying, just like the nuisance LinkScanner causes for stats (by inflating clicks).

Besides this AVG bug, I've not seen LinkScanner generate any errors when visiting URLs from PPC ads.
    --

Thank you Mr_C, amazing stuff. Couldn't be a more wasteful way of doing this...

Imagine if those fake clicks also triggered a click for paid ads, costly!

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread