Affiliate Manager
    Hullo all,
    So my boss calls me into a conference call with an e-commerce consultant last week. They start talking about the affiliate industry (is it truly an industry?) and the consultant suggested that the market was shrinking and the future was limited!!!!

First thought: "Uh-oh."
    Second thought: "Bullsh*t."

First vocal response: "I don't agree. Affiliates are getting savvier and perhaps you're seeing a concentration in the number of affiliates (i.e., more superaffiliates and fewer new entrants) but there is certainly growth and a future!"

What do you all, as affiliates, think?

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    e: ctang@collectiblestoday.com
    p: (847) 581-8939
    f: (847)581-8922
    Yahoo IM: carolyn_collectiblestoday

Well, I'm growing!

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

ABW Ambassador
    "e-commerce consultant" Past his peak. I bet i know who it was

It's pay for performance, affiliate marketing will always be around. The "e-commerce consultant" only works with big brands and networks. Out of touch, time to hang it up. And i'm growing too

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

Growing here as well.

The parasitic software apps probably make the industry seem smaller overall, as they are taking from others. That would make it appear to indicate fewer players, and less new ones.

Maybe you should find out more about this consultant's background. Everything I've heard and seen indicates the market is continuing to grow, and with new people coming online everyday, there seems to be a lot of opportunity as well.

Perhaps the consultant was telling your boss what they thought he/she wanted to hear...

Andy

I'm not an affiliate, but I'll throw in an opinion. The affiliate industry is changing, not shrinking. The opportunities today are much different than they were 2 or 3 years ago and will be much different in 2 or 3 years. We won't be doing business in the same exact way, but that doesn't mean we won't be doing business.

You're right - the base of affiliates is becoming more and more savvy and as someone here has said, the cream rises to the top. The partnership aspect won't be going anywhere soon - it's just a matter of what we classify it as and how we react to it.

I heard the e-commerce consultant industry's future is limited.

-patrice

Yes, and word of mouth advertising is also dying. Certainly I wouldn't want an army of relatively low-commission salespeople out there pushing my product to an ever-expanding market, would I? Geez, that might lead to exponential revenue growth.

[/end sarcastic ]

Karl Smith
    phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware!
    [What is Parasiteware? click here to learn more]

ABW Ambassador
    I also disagree with fewer new entrants and that little affiliates will be squashed and all that nonsense. The people that say that are big brand, network people. That might happen, big brands focusing more on only working with affiliates that drive sales. But too many people think affiliate marketing is only big brands and networks. So i think there is plenty of room for all types of affiliates, big and small, there's still a lot of affiliate programs out there still untapped.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

ABW Ambassador
    I am seeing incredible growth here.

www.cjshoppingnetwork.com

There is no doubt that the affiliate marketing landscape is changing - for the better! Affiliate marketing is maturing and only those that are savvy marketers will prosper. Online shopping is getting more and more popular and affiliate marketing willl grow with it. Many ecommerce consultants think that AM is still part of the 'dot-com bubble' - but it isn't. To put it in a few words: Any affiliate marketer that does not visit ABW, will not prosper in the long term.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

There will always be a place for the small time or beginner affilaite as long as there are new companies looking to sell their products.

Just Lurking
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heyder:
    There will always be a place for the small time or beginner affilaite as long as there are new companies looking to sell their products.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whew! Glad to hear that!

ABW Ambassador
    My dad doesn't have an ATM card and my mother doesn't use a computer at all.

Todays generation is hooked into computers for chat and music downloads like you would not believe. These "youngsters" are turning 18 everyday, getting creidt cards, jobs and will be buying products online in the future.

I can't believe any reputable "e-commerce consultant" would ever suggest that online sales will shrink in the near future.

The parasites are currently getting a larger share of the pie but I expect the affiliate industry will change quickly and online shopping as people know it will change.

Regardless of the implementation of online shopping in the future, online sales and the growth will only rise for the foreseeable future.

Affiliate and incentive based offerings from this industry will rise substantially along with the sales and most likely "even faster" than online sales outside the affiliate arena.

If merchants continue to adopt the approach of allowing rebates to be offered by "outside parties" on their offerings - it makes sense this segment of the industry will grow faster.

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

Though to put it in perspective, if you want a more objective opinion, you're probably asking the wrong people.

Have you asked the consultant what she bases her opinion on?

-patrice

Here's another take: Perhaps the consultant is looking for more business from your company ($$$). While criticizing the affiliate system, I wonder if he spoke of other "things" your company should pursue. And I'm sure he could "assist" you with those things.

So, how much is your boss paying for this bullsh@t?

ABW Ambassador
    Personally, I think it is just another fad (like email). Before you know it everyone will get tired of all this money and go back to work at the factories.

oh yeah ecommrce is dad no one buys anything online anymore bull!
    Just like happy moon says the kids are turning 18 everyday soon we will have a boom like never seen before. this generation grew up with scams on the internet and most see right through them and are more trusting to buy something over the internet and wouldnt think twice about it. just look at the stats for (not gonna mention name) the largest auction website they get 100,00 people sign up and have 8 mlion new auctions a day yeah that guy knows what he is talking about. i would print this whole forum and show it to your boss..
    vinny

------------------------------
    Build a Page A Day And Keep the Bill makers away

Hi,

I can attest that the affiliate business changing.

The company I do work for is trying to do something different and good for the industry.

RealtyTrac is offering a residual revenue program, where affiliates can make money as long as a customer they send stays with the service. So there is an incentive for the affiliate in our program.

What other incentives can affiliate managers offer besides $$$ to pull in affiliates?

I have a question regarding cookies, I know most of the affiliate networks require a 30-60day cookie, has anyone experience trouble with this? Where customers don't allow cookies and that reduces sales.

Regards,
    Victor

Victor Caballero
    victor@realtytrac.com
    Residual Revenue Affiliate Program: www.realtytrac.com/affiliates

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    Carolyn,

The consultant may have had his own agenda. From where I sit this industry is booming.
    I have so many companies coming to me wanting to start or expand their affiliate programs, I can't even see straight!

HUGE Fortune 500 companies like the one that contacted me today, don't invest in shrinking markets. This company knows the power of affiliate marketing or they wouldn't want me to help them grow their affiliate channel. They would be investing money in SEO or something else.

I do think AM has evolved a lot and it doesn't have a lot of the sizzle and media exposure it had when it was a newer industry. Now it's more of an accepted business channel and maybe somewhat taken for granted, but certainly not shrinking.

(Hey Victor - how's the program coming a long?)

Linda Buquet :: 714.754.1280 :: AM Consultant :: Catalyst eMarketing.com
    5 Star Affiliate Programs :: Top Paying/High-Integrity Merchants :: Visit 5 Star Forum
    <FONT size="1">ChatDollars :: ConsciousOne :: EveryTicket :: Organize-Everything :: Irv's Luggage :: zZounds
    DentalPlans :: Executive Essentials :: IntelliContactPro :: Roadloans :: More Programs Coming Soon!
    </font>

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the reassurance, it's also good to hear from other AMs!

I think my boss (to his credit) takes all consultants with a grain of salt. After I made my comment, the boss smoothly transitioned the conversation to other topics...

Another tidbit, the consultant was convinced that search marketing was going to be the hot spot...again, I am of the belief that affiliates are in some part driving growth in that segment as well. I can barely keep up with you all!

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    e: ctang@collectiblestoday.com
    p: (847) 581-8939
    f: (847)581-8922
    Yahoo IM: carolyn_collectiblestoday

Just my 2 cents
    This biz is growing because serious affiliates work hard to find new ways to drive sales to good companys. ABW is a perfect example of the research people are doing to make themselvs and "Good Companys" (not parisite codlers) make more money. No company is going to walk away from potential customers if they know there competors will get the extra trafic from the affiliate industry.
    Growing all the time here and looking forward to the holiday season.

"I did'nt get where I'm at today by worrying about how I'm going to feel tomorrow."

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    It's about time we all roll up our sleeves and collectively build-out a test bed ABW CyberMall. Without some access for all to see the conversion stats of incorporating pre-sell creatives showcasing the ABW "best practices" this industry will no longer serve the small value add affiliate.

The short term benefits and days of datafeeds to spamm the SE's with doorway pages is coming to a quick end. All the tricks for clicks affiliates and gorilla marketers are seeing technology tools designed to curtail their crap with the blessing of the web surfer and ultimate consumer. The powers originating and controlling the destination landing page of 90% of web shoppers are preparing their final battle plan. Only the affiliates who learn to address the real needs and wishes of shoppers and add some value to the decision buying process can survive this onslaught with bookmarkable pages.

Forget incent marketing it either belongs to the BHO's and Dupers or should be taken in-house and controlled 100% by the actual merchant. We'd all best learn how to add some value to the buying process by focusing on and learning how to showcase high conversion merchants. Basically distance ourselves from the advertising mindset and concentrate on becoming an outside sales force to AM's wearing a sales management cap.

I clearly see what path the networks, powerful traffic aggregrators and major brand and budget merchants are going to take. Those seeking ever changing tricks for clicks will flounder and get eaten by the commission sharks. Merchants run by Ad whore AM's will jump on SEO/SEM plans and fill Froogle -Yahoo and soon MSN with datafeeds and Adword type campaigns. Those who won't or can't learn to build sites that add real value to a shoppers purchasing decision will just become cannon fodder in the great Eyeball War.

Read between the story lines below with the above truths in mind. Then pray for and support more AM's like Andy, Akiva, Linda, Chris, who go out of their way to concentrate on conversion ratios, to come to ABW and help build out a best practices ABW testbed CyberMall.

Tue September 23, 2003 03:02 AM ET
    By Ben Berkowitz
    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Internet media company Yahoo Inc. YAHOO.O , broadening its efforts in the red-hot search services market, on Tuesday rolled out a new search platform that lets users find products, compare prices and buy from different merchants.
    More ...

Did I mention Microsoft's MSN has a mirrored plan to Froogle and Yahoo. The only thing they all lack is automating mass merchandising will never be able to completely run the small merchant and his value add sales force out of business. It's the Malls and Walmarts verses the small shop owners continuing saga. Once the big internet shopping engine is fine tuned and populated, and effective SEO/SEM is embraced in the boardrooms, the profit sucking BHO's and their AM recruiters will be kicked to the curb.

Come back and read this post next year when planning for the 2004 Holiday shopping season.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

[edited (C) infringement ]

[This message was edited by Haiko on September 24, 2003 at 12:44 PM.]

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    I guess it deserves a Yawn!

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Well, Mike, I'm yawning but not because you bored me but because I was up most of the night designing a new web site.

You're right. The big guys are at it. The parasites are at it. The networks are at it. Everyone is out for their grab of the web and think nothing of trampling the little guy in the process.

Well, I have flexibility and I have low overhead and I have technologies they haven't caught up with yet so I'm not ready to roll over and die yet.

ABW Ambassador
    I bet the consultant has a side deal with a parasite company/technology provider and is probably trying to convince people to use these services instead of us honest, hard working types. Well... may be not working too hard!

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread