ABW Ambassador
    Question Copy Coupon Code
    I would like to know how I can make a script so if someone copies a coupon I list on my site it will also open a new window and take the visitor to the link destination. I have seen this done on a few websites like Retailmenot.com etc.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

oh boy.

Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    oh boy.

There is a thread on the same kind of thing: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=94224
    Last edited by Trust; July 6th, 2008 at 01:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    There is a thread on the same kind of thing: http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=94224
    I remember it... hence the 'oh boy'. Isn't this what took us down the 'what is a click' path?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

ABW Ambassador
    I never seen it as issue, to me if someone is copying the coupon from your website then they intend to use it so why not open the next part for them. They can easily close it if that is a problem. Ah well, I guess I will give that idea a miss then.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    I never seen it as issue, to me if someone is copying the coupon from your website then they intend to use it so why not open the next part for them. They can easily close it if that is a problem. Ah well, I guess I will give that idea a miss then.
    It really depends on how the users arrived at the coupon page in the first place. If they went to the coupon site FIRST to search for coupons with the intention of visiting the appropriate merchant, then opening the merchant page on the code click would be valid and convenient for most shoppers.

However, the more likely scenario would be that the visitor is already at the merchant checkout page where the merchant has placed a box prompting for a coupon code which sends the visitor searching. They land on the coupon site, copy the code and return to the merchants site to complete their checkout. In order to use a new window they would have to abandon their cart, repopulate it and start the checkout process from the beginning. This process would at best be inconvenient for the shopper, whether it's a valid click or not is still open for debate.

The real problem here is that the MERCHANT has interrupted their checkout process to offer a discount that may not have been necessary.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Most carts hold their contents so it would be ready to checkout on the shoppers' return, no interruption. If the coupon sends them to the merchant they will be carrying a different cookie, or a new cookie if they had come to the merchant on their own.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread