How can I advertise a contest for a site that has 0 members?
    I started a social site like myspace and the site has 0 members. I want to run some contests and say like "Were giving away $100 to one lucky member, register to enter" and I want it to go out everywhere.

Where can I advertise this? I'd do it on Adwords but a general thing like this is so expensive to promote. Is there a way I can get the word out without spending too much money?

ABW Ambassador
    You could try making flyers to hand out. Or see if a gaming store near you would display one.

You could try going around to gaming forums and mention your contest. Though that could come off as spamming.

You could take out a little add in the newspaper. Or look in to taking out an add in a gaming magazine.

And so on, lol.

Do a press release on something like PRweb.com
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    There are contest sites where you can submit your contest for people to join. I haven't used them in years, but they do exist all you have to do is look for them.
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

ABW Ambassador
    All of these are a good way to generate useless traffic that dies off and leaves you where you started, except you will be a little poorer.

Why not give people a reason to visit? Oh yeah... "your very own social network" is now the magic bullet...

Ask yourself why are you doing this, and then do that, don't build "your very own social network" just to build one and think that is the answer. If you have zero visitors, obviously starting "your very own social network" is a bad idea. Misfocusing your time and energy is the #1 affiliate killer - I did all this work and I got nothing... I deserve something because I did all this work... I lost 6 months of my life and all I got was "my very own social network"... maybe you should start selling those ts? I bet they will be in demand very soon.

Chet

These suggestions are excellent. Thank you guys so much!

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Ask yourself why are you doing this, and then do that, don't build "your very own social network" just to build one and think that is the answer.

Chet
    I agree with you and you make sense. But I have a very good domain name for 10 years and I never did anything with it. So i just put a social site script on it and will water and seed it a little, and hopefully as years goes by itll grow.

7. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread