ABW Ambassador
    Social Network creation, quite fun! Anyone got experience with it?
    And by fun, I mean it feels like my head is going to explode.

I'm not a programmer, which certainly doesn't help in this quest. Does anyone here have any experience, recommendations?

I have seen the Ning thread. I played with it for a bit, didn't really like it, and I'd rather have the social site on my own hosting that I control.

I've come across phpFox, SocialEngine, and DZOIC Handshakes. They all sound like they could be what I'm looking for, although phpFox and DZOIC Handshakes have had some really bad things said about them on other forums. It could be people from other companies trying to trash them, but it really gives me pause. DZOIC Handshakes would put me out 349 dollars, so if it doesn't work out.. that hurts. phpFox at least can be paid for monthly at 39 dollars, so would be less risk involved.

Anyone have experience or know the truth about either one?

For SocialEngine, sounds good, but pretty much all the features are add-ons you need to pay for, making it even more expensive. (and yes, I know, gotta spend money to make money, but gotta spend money wisely too lol)

Or I could try to build my own with Drupal. I know Joomla could be used to, but I soured on Joomla after trying to build something with it. The only problems with Drupal are, I would need to find maybe 10, 15 or more modules and hope they all work together. Here is where the not being a programmer part comes in.

At the moment, I'm thinking of risking a month of phpFox or trying to make a functioning site with Drupal. Anyone else got another idea for software, platform, etc.. I should take a look at?

Thanks in advance.

ABW Ambassador
    Why? Why do you want a "social network"? How much traffic do you have to feed into it right now?

ABW Ambassador
    Why? Because I have found a great concept for one, in a niche that seems to be fairly untapped, and another idea in a niche that doesn't seem to have much competition in it either.

I saw your post in the other thread, and I don't want to build a "social network" just to be all, "Oh, I have a social network." I think the site will have reasons for people to come and join. It could turn out to be wasted time and blow up in my face, but I don't think it will. My problem is figuring out how to created it, hence the thread.

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread