Timber ....
    With a few exceptions the EPC of merchants playing in the CJ game is dropping like it was being sucked into a black whole.

I wonder why?

My take is people have been concentrating on content and not on sales.
    A zillion impressions and a tiny number of click thrus .... let's here it for
    content ...

We seem to have reached the end of the line where you can't even give away stuff for free with CJ merchants.

How long until Google dies the infamous death ... killed by Hubris.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Content sucks eggs for selling stuff IMO, but...impressions don't count into EPC, so the total waste of a gajillion page views just to get a click unfortunately can't be what's wrecking that figure. So even though I don't like c*ntent, I think this is one thing it's not guilty of. The up to millions of wasted pageviews show up as a low clickthrough rate, not in the EPC.

I actually suspect that CJ is counting "clicks" that really aren't clicks. I know that WordPress pings are being counted as clicks...if it's the same for all the blogging platforms, that's a lot of robotic "clicks" that are being counted.
    Last edited by Leader; July 7th, 2008 at 12:07 AM.

Please Send Us Traffic ...
    Anyone getting a bunch of commission upgrades from merchants?

My inbox is awash with higher commissions and all sorts of bonus offers.

Can't say many are worth the effort ... seems the merchants can't figure out that traffic costs money and they that the math of ZERO times 50% is not
    still Zero.

I just saw a TV spot for a merchant that wants FREE traffic from his affiliates but he is paying over $100 per 30 second spot on a cable channel that has been running reruns of some reality show for a week.

How do I know what he is paying ... DUH ... I have the rate card.

Better start fattening up the fat lady ... she will be singing the 3 Penny Opera for CPA soon.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I think it's the shakeout I expected to happen about 2-3 years ago. It came late, but as I think I've said on occasion, "late" does not mean "never."

Good.

The Gravy Train runs best when there aren't a lot of passengers (competition) weighing it down. And it's been too darned crowded for too long now.

I just saw a TV spot for a merchant that wants FREE traffic from his affiliates but he is paying over $100 per 30 second spot on a cable channel that has been running reruns of some reality show for a week.
    That program will probably close soon...I had a merchant cut commissions and blatantly say it was because "TV ads are expensive," next thing I knew, he was in the Deactivated List.
    Last edited by Leader; July 8th, 2008 at 11:09 AM.
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

I'm also part of the "club" that sees the "origi-not content" inflation Google is encouraging. Many sites, out there, know how to "feed" Google's algorithms to get better ranking...thus all this not very exciting "original content".

For the lower EPC, we are probably seeing the "double whammy" of the slow summer + slumping economy. More people are just looking and not buying. That also might explain the commission increases (trying to keep their affiliates motivated).

Also not sure of how much of a factor this is playing, but some new "security" tools are now "preemptively" following links from search engines:
    ".../...
    All links on search results pages in Google, Yahoo, and MSN are analyzed and their current threat level is reported in real time before you click on the link and visit the site.
    .../..."
    See full specs for AVG Internet Security:
    http://free.avg.com/ww.download-avg-internet-security

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread