help with urlencoded product names
    I written a php script that creates and saves an HTML page. To make it SEO friendly I decided to use the urlencoded product name as the filename. So the relevant part of my script is:

Everything works well except for brackets.

A product "American Crew Moisturising Shampoo (250ml)" when urlencoded produces :"American+Crew+Moisturising+Shampoo+%28250ml%29.htm" however when I click the link I get the error "/American+Crew+Moisturising+Shampoo+(250ml).htm was not found on this server."

It's no problem to correct for the brackets but does anyone know if other characters are affected in this way?

It would depend on the server OS and web server, I think - but the safest practice (and most portable) is to remove ALL non-alphanumeric characters except hyphens (replacing the other characters with hyphens and merging multiple hyphens into one).

Houston, TX
    Agreed - I would remove all non-alpha-numerics from the title. Spaces, braces, parentheses, ampersands, number signs... all kinds of things can mess up a url.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Thanks for your suggestions Mark and Hectic here is the code I have come up with:

PHP Code:
    $product_name=ereg_replace("[^0-9a-zA-Z \.]" ,"-",$product_name);
    First get rid of the html entities or you get things like "-amp-" in the url. Next replace any characters you don't want with "-", remove duplicate "-" and finally remove the "-" if it is the first or last character.

I'm sure it's not the perfect solution but it works for now.

Regards Bob

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread