I just got an email Demanding a Link Exchange since He so graciously linked to my site. He also requested to be added to a page with a Page Rank of 4 or better.

When I checked his site out, my link was on a 0 page rank page And, the link page was not even connected to his lowly 2 page ranked index page.

I deleted his email.

People, please when requesting a link:
    -- don't demand
    -- put the link to the other site up first, then request a link
    -- don't say I'll put up a link to your site if you'll put one up first
    -- don't send 10 different urls to link to and so on.

Anyone else care to add to Link Exchange etiquette?

By your thoughts you are daily, even hourly, building your life.
    You are carving your destiny.
    ~Ruth Barrick Golden

ABW Ambassador
    Normally, I send a request to exchange links, first. The if the other half is agreeable, then I place a link on my site. To me, it is presumptious to add a sites link, then request an exchange.

-----------------------------
    Big Chuck
    Why do some affiliate networks continue to enable parasitic technology providers to STEAL my hard earned revenue?

I got a rude reply from a guy requests link exchange when i let him submit to my linkpage himself, and his site is host by free web host. Just don't know what those people thinking...

I should have written ...

-- put the link to the other site up first, then request a link if that is what is requested on their link page.

On each of my "link" pages I request people to first add my link, then send me an email telling me where the link is placed, and if approved, I will then add their link and send them a confirmation email.

Many, many people Do Not check my link exchange requirements.

The only time I add a link "without permission" is when the link exchange directions request it.

~Ruth Barrick Golden

ABW Ambassador
    I got this email today... Given the fact that it was a simple mistake on my part because the page had gone through many changes & his link got lost in the mix, I think this was kinda rude:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>A while ago we exchanged links. Well I was just checking some of the return links. It looks like you decided to remove our link from your website. As a return favor, I have removed your link from our website. If you feel this is in error, contact me and I will fix it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he needs to look up the definition of "favor" ...jerk...

So, my addition to the rules:
    -inquire first about a removed link, rather than send a condescending email

CarSites.us - Free promotion for your automotive-related sites!

Die Parasites Die!!

Some people are the same sending E-mail as they are behind the wheel of a car:

RUDE!

Most would never act like that to your face, but they sure don't mind being a pig otherwise.

Andy

today, i've got an email from a guy asking to trade link. he has added my PR 0 site to his 200+ sites and wants me to add all of his 200+ websites into my site. why would he want to swap link with my PR 0 site ? do you think it worth a shot to go ahead swap link with him ?

200+ sites? i will approve it right away. did you check the pr?

Redsand: were they travel/hotel sites? I got the same email request I believe. They all seem to have a PR4 on index pages and grey bar on link pages though....not sure if its worth the exchange.

You would think that if a webmaster is asking for a link exchange they would at least have a few manners.

Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by stangel:
    200+ sites? i will approve it right away. did you check the pr?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the index page is PR4. the linking page is still unranked i believe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lola:
    Redsand: were they travel/hotel sites? I got the same email request I believe. They all seem to have a PR4 on index pages and grey bar on link pages though....not sure if its worth the exchange.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lola, yes they were travel/hotel sites. I have added all of his sites but I will put google adsense on the page.

I'm going to add him too... I can't seem to find anything spammy or nasty with them

"A while ago we exchanged links. Well I was just checking some of the return links. It looks like you decided to remove our link from your website. As a return favor, I have removed your link from our website. If you feel this is in error, contact me and I will fix it."

I really wouldn't have taken offense to this email. It's really hard to write this sort of thing and NOT sound condescending or pushy.

My partner and I were just writing up letters that we plan to send out for link exchanges and such. We run a content site and we plan to showcase different sites. Then we'll let those sites know and see if they want to link to their Showcase.

Sounding nice and professional is a lot harder than it seems. It's easy to sound pushy.

SJohnson@NO_Spam_ClickMagazine.Net
    www.ClickMagazine.Net

I usually ignore people who requested link exchange. Especially the ones without personalized email (since they just SPAM the whole world requesting link exchange). Most of the requests usually have PR0/PR1 max.

This will trigger my delete button:
    - My site is not mentioned on the email
    - Their site is not mentioned on the email
    - Begin with this phrase: "I saw your site on Google(/Yahoo/Search Engine) and ...

Regards,

=xo=

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SJohnson:
    I really wouldn't have taken offense to this email. It's really hard to write this sort of thing and NOT sound condescending or pushy.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

aww, c'mon, it's easy to not sound pushy...at least as pushy as he was.. a simple "hey, I see our link's not on your site anymore...if that's a mistake, let me know..." would have been great, but to be sarcastic and call what he did a favor is just plain rude. When I emailed him back, I explained that it was a mistake and I got a good chuckle out of that comment... My link's back on his site, which I appreciate because it is a big company and delivers good traffic to several of my sites in that niche.

CarSites.us - Free promotion for your automotive-related sites!

Die Parasites Die!!

I get about 5-10 e-mails per day requesting link exchanges. Most of them spammy so I ignore them right away. For the ones that look legit, I check where my links is located, and if it's equal or better, I exchange. My link pages has PR4, so I exchange links very rarely.

Well I'm glad to read I'm not the only one who hits Delete when it's a Spammy link exchange request.

In fact I was just updating my links page and had collected about 30 requests -- 5 of them got posted.

Sometimes I'll check out the site and it's dreadful -- and I hit Delete and feel sort of guilty for not emailing back with a "sorry your site doesn't cut it"

But I do have posted that links are not guaranteed and are based on final approval.

~Ruth Barrick Golden

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Mine are all PR5 and I have client sites PR 5 & 6. I delete all link requests unless I know the person from ABW or their a recognized domain or brand merchant. The rest get trashed without looking.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

You guys have to keep in mind that googles toolbar can not be trusted lately. If the main site has pr then so will the links pages as long as they are not blocked by a robots.txt or in the header. I never go by the page links pr as it could be new and can takes month's to show up properly on the toolbar... you could be missing out on a good deal

I get these requests all the time. First I was upset, then I just laughed at them, now I send them all to the big trash can in the sky.

Ron - 7 Days A Week Marketing

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread