Is Anyone Still Doing Direct Links To Affiliates?
    Hello Everyone,

Just seeing if you guys are still having success with direct links through PPC ads to affiliate ads.

I know Google said they were trying to make all ads go to the same url as the shown url but I have tried it and it seems to be working ok.

Let me know any thoughts or suggestions if you have them.

Thanks,
    Matt

is it so hard to make a landing page? I wouldn't do something they don't want you to do, or they may drop you....
    fyi: I don't to ppc, so I'm just speculating, but something has to be said for doing something the right way.

ABW Ambassador
    Not following. You mean direct to merchant? And are you saying, you have ads going to a different url than the display url when doing direct to merchant?

"I wouldn't do something they don't want you to do, or they may drop you.... "

They don't have a problem with direct to merchant, none of them do, Google, Yahoo, MSN.

Quote Originally Posted by newestuser
    is it so hard to make a landing page? I wouldn't do something they don't want you to do, or they may drop you....
    fyi: I don't to ppc, so I'm just speculating, but something has to be said for doing something the right way.
    Why is a landing page necessarily the "right" way? If a customer wants an acme printer at $399 w/free shipping -- why not bring them right to the acme printer sales page at acme computers rather than a landing page that restates the core selling proposition of the PPC ad along with some (usually) reworked copy & images for that printer from the manufacturer (aka thin affiliate sites)? Landing pages can be nice for affiliates because of the extra ways that are available for testing and tracking --and-- they can be preferable for merchants who don't want to compete for the single URL issue w/affiliates on PPC campaigns, but landing pages aren't the 'only' nor always the best or 'right' way to do PPC that is win-win for merchants & affiliates.

@Matt -- DTM PPC is still alive & well as Google counts the 'final' resting place of the clicker as the primary point of correlation b/t display and destination URL. Otherwise - all 3rd party tracking would be disallowed. For a variety of reasons (usually along the lines of overreaction to effectively managing undesired competition w/affiliates and/or trademark stuff) more and more merchants are disallowing DTM. Or, they disallow use of their display URL which is effectively the same thing.

I prefer sending direct to merchant unless I'm trying to push a selection of products to the user, in which case I create a landing page or landing sites. Eliminating as many clicks between the visitor and the checkout process is one of the best ways to increase conversion rates, but it all depends on the product - If the merchant's own page isn't sufficient, creating a sales page can actually help conversion rate. Bucking the trend, one of my recently successful campaigns had a pretty developed landing page and review rather than my normal direct to merchant attempt, and that campaign went pretty well in my opinion.

You don't have to "add value" to the click , other than putting the right ad in front of the right consumer.

Quote Originally Posted by mweidner2782
    I know Google said they were trying to make all ads go to the same url as the shown url but I have tried it and it seems to be working ok.
    Google just cares that the landing page domain is the same as the display URL domain...they don't care if you use redirects to get to the landing page. So it's fine if you have:
    display URL: merchant.com
    destination URL: shareasale.com/r.cfm?etc.
    Landing page: merchant.com/yadda/yadda.php

(By "landing page", I mean whatever page the user lands on after clicking the ad...i.e., Google's definition of it.)
    --

You don't have to "add value" to the click
    I know what you mean Joshua, but I feel creating an ad that is relevant to what the consumer is looking for, as well as well worded ( descriptive, etc) is a value add to the consumer.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    I know what you mean Joshua, but I feel creating an ad that is relevant to what the consumer is looking for, as well as well worded ( descriptive, etc) is a value add to the consumer.
    Yes, the "value" is helping them to easily find and buy what they are looking for. if a landing page can help with that or help the user feel good about their purchase (add confidence in their decision), then it could help with your sales.

For me, I haven't had much success finding good (high EPC & conversion) merchants (in CJ) that allowing affiliate direct linking to their landing page.

Even if some merchant do allow it, hardly any of them allow affiliates to use trademark in display URL (because google only allow one unique display URL), this means we can only do redirects to merchant site, which is against google adword policy.

Anyway, google has made it more difficult for PPC affiliates. I have yet to try YSM.

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    Google just cares that the landing page domain is the same as the display URL domain...they don't care if you use redirects to get to the landing page. So it's fine if you have:
    display URL: merchant.com
    destination URL: shareasale.com/r.cfm?etc.
    Landing page: merchant.com/yadda/yadda.php

(By "landing page", I mean whatever page the user lands on after clicking the ad...i.e., Google's definition of it.)

Actually Google do care if you use redirect, they don't allow it. It is in their affiliate policy.

Quote Originally Posted by affiliaterealm
    Actually Google do care if you use redirect, they don't allow it. It is in their affiliate policy.
    No, ghoti was completely correct on his explanation.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread