CJ vendor cancels past 6wks orders
    I've been with this CJ vendor since 2004. I have two sites built for them and use a combo of datafeeds and banner/text links built around original-content pages. This is one of my best vendor.
    Today I rec'd the followin message from the vendor's aff. mgr:

> Thank you for your efforts as an affiliate of [vendor] through Commission Junction.
    >
    > We recently changed our servers and didn't block our new internal IP addresses from CJ. Somehow, all our orders placed internally have been assigned to you in CJ. We have canceled all those orders from June. There were some in April and May, which we will not be able to cancel.
    >
    > Sorry for the confusion. I just wanted you to know why we canceled the orders.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > [AM]

Not sure what the AM meant by "all our orders": clearly it could not really have been *ALL* their orders, as this would have triggered a flag (or someone would've noticed) months ago. In any case, the AM's message sounds fishy (or, at the very least, confusingly written/worded).

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    Who is the merchant?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Tax Paying Member
    Does this have anything to do with the NY sales tax that became live about June 1?????

There is a possibility that a merchant is cleaning his/her books back to the June 1 date.
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

it just seems like someone inside the company clicked your link and got your cookie, then placed customer orders or something... Probably a legitimate mistake, but you can always ask for more clarification.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We have had a similar issue with an in-house set of programs where they got an affiliate cookie associated with test orders. It took a while to get it verified and stopped. The merchant was embarrassed and had us invoice them a bonus for the two effected affiliates.

I had something similar happen to me a couple of years ago (different network). My issue was probably a little easier to take since I was partially responsible for the problem. In my case I asked an AM for a test of some of my links that had suddenly stopped converting. Apparently the links were tested from a customer service reps system that also took telephone orders. Since my cookie was set on the system I received credit for all of the phone orders until they discovered the problem (which was just a few hours). I was disappointed when over $900 in orders were reversed, but the AM was very proactive (and embarrassed) about notifying me of the issue and apologizing profusely.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

It sounds like an unethical merchant to me. There's a bunch of them out there.
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    So why haven't you identified the merchant?

Hollowman, as you mentioned in your first post, you have a 4 year track record with this merchant and you've also said that they are among your best converting. Since you do have a pretty long history with them it should be relatively simple to compare your earning from June to previous June's and other months preceding their "hiccup". While not exactly scientific and probably not very accurate it should give you an idea of any lost business. If your numbers aren't where you think they should be for the period in question then you should reach out to the AM and provide them with your numbers and see if they will make good on any shortcomings.

Again because of your long relationship with this merchant, it makes sense to try to work things out. Also, they should see the value in you as an affiliate and it would behoove them to work things out also.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread