Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Some dipstick has put an autodirect in this thread "Help-new cj merchant getting link complaints"

I got my parasiteware t-shirt
    <font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

No chit!

I thought it was me clicking on something!

and it wont take me back either when I click back!

that's not good!

------------------------------
    What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-) !

I think it was cinst posting the code as html and not as code but he edited his posts.

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Newbies.. You have to love them

Hey Haiko where are the new emotion icons?

I see how you are……… teasing us with neat stuff then get Alzheimer’s!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You have to love them <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Do we SandraR
    asks Gordon whilst putting his gun away

<font color=red size="1">All parasites are scumbags and should be treated as such....</font><font color=blue size="1">STAMP EM OUT!!!</font>
    Take care
    YouTrek.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SandraR:
    Hey Haiko where are the new emotion icons?

I see how you are……… teasing us with neat stuff then get Alzheimer’s!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was still waiting for more votes

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Gordon - put away that gun and giggle for a change. Or at the bareminimum become notehr butthead!

haiko I vote for the at times in this forum people get hit hard!

That's me - the dipstick . Actually Gordon you are 2 kind - I could think of more explicit terms.

I am having link problem at cj - their techs had no answer for - was answering a post from scott as how my html page read - and it created the redirect. I immediately posted for moderator help as I didn't know how to correct - but figured it out a few minutes later and edited the problem with < !-- --> Sorry for the inconvenience.

Toledo Swords - Collectible Heirloom Armory
    http://www.toledoswords.com

There, Gordon,

I hope you feel guilty now....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I hope you feel guilty now <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Yes I do. I am on my way to chastise myself right now.....

Done

Take care
    YouTrek.com

Guys don't be silly. Although I have been a ABW member since 10/2001 I haven't done a lot of postings. Lots of reading though. I wish there were 36 hours in a day so I could spend the extra 12 here.
    Still have to double check on doing a PM. Wish Haiko would put a page with complete instructions on all the features here for us newbies. Everytime I need something I have to search the forum for instructions. Or ask my administrator at ABW - but how do I ask & who is my administrator?

Even asked at the forums and emailed Haiko on starting a thread for affiliates - since everyone keeps asking for cj merchants to participate. Never got a response. Finally through reading the threads I figured out that in order for a merchant to have a thread needed to spend $2000.

Now don't get me wrong , I personally think it is the best $2000 investment around for any merchant. ( except that the rules are in legalese golbodigook ) I constantly badger my partners to approve the spending , but since we just joined cj this week and the first thing was non working links - a problem the techs say they never encountered b4 , I am taking enough abuse from them , since I was the one who suggested cj in the first place.

Also they have viewed ABW and all they see is people taking potshots at the merchants. And when they view my few threads , they think I must be a masochist since I am always being put down here. I personally don't care , because criticism is a way to learn and I have a tough skin.

So don't feel guilty. As we say in the islands , No problem mon

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Eh, by the way, if anyone hasn't taken a look at cinst's cj program, I think it looks pretty good! It strikes me as a potentially lucrative program.

- - - - - - - - -
    This is your affiliate network -
    This is your affiliate network on Parasites -

If you need any help on anything at ABW just post and somone will help you. Haiko is very busy some times so us other guys try to help when we can.
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Guys don't be silly <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> We (or should I say I) are always silly, but its in a fun way no offence is meant.

Take care
    YouTrek.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gordon:
    If you need any help on anything at ABW just post and somone will help you. Haiko is very busy some times so us other guys try to help when we can.

When I need help , I can usually find the answer somewhere in the forum.

For specific help I do post , and have always found members willing to help. And sometimes I actually get an answer. For example it took ABW members to , I believe , solve the link problem. Will let you know once Akiva , PM's me back and I run it pass cj tech tommorrow - oops I mean today in a few hours -

One question I have asked but not gotten - explicit help on ( remember I need step by step directions ) is a script to place the PID next to the 800 number on site , plus if possible , replace the SID in the few cj affiliate links on site with the PID so that affiliate gets credit , and even more of a wish to be able to track PayPal sales so that affiliates are credited. This should make the site 100% leakage free. Everyone in the forums complain of leakage , but no one gives specifics on how to stop the leaks for merchants willing to do so. ( I know - get a webmaster - my partners had one and he was worse than me. They have a new one now and I'm still waiting for a few simple things let alone something like a script. And the banners he designed - I am to embarrassed to post most of them at cj )

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Guys don't be silly <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> We (or should I say I) are always silly, but its in a fun way no offence is meant.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No offence taken - I live in the islands - "LaLa Land" according to my stateside family. We don't take ANYTHING seriously , except hurricanes and limin' of course.

BTW - I found the help pages under tools. Not bad only took me 2 years.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by elbowcreek:
    Eh, by the way, if anyone hasn't taken a look at cinst's cj program, I think it looks pretty good! It strikes me as a potentially lucrative program.
    QUOTE]

With help from ABW members and some time , I hope to turn the site into an affiliate friendly "standard" . You guys guide me , and I will do it.

Also the product line will be "giftisized" to increase sales. That is engraving , plaques , sword of the month , and a few ideas I am keeping under wraps. That is MY area of expertise - branding and line developement.

One thing no one here has caught yet - The LAYAWAY Program. It works and greatly helps the conversions.

Prior to my direct involvement with TS in July , I was promoting them at realcoolsavings.com , since last Dec. My conversion rates varied between 1/90 and 1/150 depending on time of year. Given the high tickets , yes it is very lucrative. ( why you think I came out of "retirement" and bought into the company ? )

The thing that has me really PO'ed ( is that allowed here ) is the link problems. It has cost me and the affiliates a lot of lost dollars. Not a great beginning. But hopefully it will be corrected ASAP.

cinst,

I think you will find an incredible amount of support here at ABW as well as criticism from time to time. It seems you have a very healthy viewpoint of criticism, so you will likely take what is offered and do something positive with it.

In the long run, that will be good for you, your program, and your affiliates.

Welcome to ABW.

Andy

Hi Andy ,

Actually I preceeded you at ABW by 6 days - 10/29/01 vs 11/05/01 . I just don't post a lot - like to read and learn instead.

I am well aware of the help here. It was ABW members that solved my link problem at cj. W/O their help I doubt whether the problem would have been solved so quickly.

As I said , I like criticism , that's how you learn. Sometimes though I have noticed memebers don't read the post carefully b4 they offer criticism. Also there is an underlying negativism toward merchants. ( which many merchants justly deserve - but some don't ) But don't worry , I have a thick skin , and will be here to stay.

All the Best,

Cliff

PS. Now I have to compensate our Toledo Swords affiliates for the revenues they might have lost due to the link problem. And the frustration they endured. Any suggestions ?

offer some bonus?

Well, I don't know if we are against merchants so much. You realize when there is no real personal interaction on a face to face level, it is much easier to not think of the other person as being "real" the same way you would if you were working in an office with them. It is to be expected that some merchants and affiliates would not have the same bad feelings about being "slick" or pulling a fast one when they don't know the other person when they don't have to face them, ever, when there is no risk that friends, family or anyone else will ever know.

Also, in some ways there is an adversarial relationship. We are here to get as much of your money as we can for the customers we send to you. You are here to get as many of our customers as you can paying us as little as possible for them. That's only good business. When you want to appear "generous" it is not because you think we are such deserving great guys. You don't even really know us. It is because you want to motivate us to send more customers that you feel you will ultimately profit from. I work on the assumption that most merchants are honest just as are most affiliates. But, the truth is we just don't know who always is and who is not. We do know that liars and cheats are in this business.

However, I certainly do trust the ones on ABW more. They, at least, do get to know us a little. And, they have a great deal to lose if they tarnish their reputation with double dealing.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

[This message was edited by SSanf on September 23, 2003 at 06:12 AM.]

@SSanf,

Awesome post!

this is totally the winner post!

Thank you! I am glad you enjoyed it.

Mr.Merchant, if you do business in any way what-so-ever with parasites, your products will not be sold on my sites!!

LISTEN! CJ don't give no whistles no more! I can hear the music of another piper!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nova - Mrs. Happypoon:
    offer some bonus?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about a 50% increase in commissions for the next month or so ? ( of course I should have cj foot some of the bill )

Cliff

Affiliate Manager
    ssanf! Nicely put.

Cinst, when we (collectiblestoday.com, come drop in!) launched our forum on ABW, a TON of issues came to the surface, which is to be expected. It takes time and diligence to find and tweak any issues in an affiliate program. I like knowing that if one of our affiliates has an issue, but doesn't want to talk to me directly, they can bring it up in the forum. I respect their right to privacy.

So sure, you gotta have thick skin and you gotta be strong, but it's worth it. Plus, when management starts realizing that all those issues are out there in the open for everyone to see, all the internal support you need starts coming outta the woodwork...

Carolyn Tang
    Affiliate Manager
    CollectiblesToday.com
    e: ctang@collectiblestoday.com
    p: (847) 581-8939
    f: (847)581-8922
    Yahoo IM: carolyn_collectiblestoday

SSanf, I agree...nicely put.

cinst,

you've been a member much longer than me, so you know the ropes. Merchant bashing? Yep, it happens. I work in IT support, and, we very rarely have customers ring in to say "I think your product is wonderful, and I'm very glad I purchased it..."
    I've seen plenty of posts where ABWers give merchants credit where credit is due but anyone throwing a casual glance here could easily go away with the impression we are a bunch of fanatics...to find the nuggets of gold (like SSanf's post) you need to come here often...
    I agree your site looks interesting, and I am interested, only,.... my 'to do' list is longer than....(tries to think of something clever to say but the brain refuses to co-operate....)...than, er....Don Giovanni's catalogue of conquests.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SSanf:
    Well, I don't know if we are against merchants so much. You realize when there is no real personal interaction on a face to face level, it is much easier to not think of the other person as being "real" the same way you would if you were working in an office with them. It is to be expected that some merchants and affiliates would not have the same bad feelings about being "slick" or pulling a fast one when they don't know the other person when they don't have to face them, ever, when there is no risk that friends, family or anyone else will ever know. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about an ABW convention where merchants and members get together face to face? Know a great place to meet. St. Thomas ( but I am of course prejudice )

Other than that , you can always call and talk over the phone , email , etc. A surprisingly good number of affiliates have already done that during our first week as a cj merchant.

I can't speak for other merchants and how they think , but I will explain my thinking process which might be a little different than the normal internet merchant. Since I never even used the internet till about 3 years ago , after I had retired from my manufacturing , wholesaling and retail operations , My thinking is that of an "old time" businessman who looks to build long term profitable companies , not short term flash in the pan companies.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    Also, in some ways there is an adversarial relationship. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Affiliates are an internet merchant's sales force. No sales , No business. So how can there be an adversarial relationship ? Only win-win partnerships grow a business. Adversarial relationships are lose-lose.

We are here to get as much of your money as we can for the customers we send to you.
    You are here to get as many of our customers as you can paying us as little as possible for them. That's only good business. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

2. Wrong that is BAD business thinking !
    Unless you are looking for a quick buck short term situation. It is better to have a business that makes profits year after year than to market your business for the large quick profit and resulting failure.( Barbie doll vs Cabbage patch doll )
    The lifeblood of a business is profit , no profit , inevitably no business. Profits = Revenue less variable costs less fixed costs.

So let's take the first half of your statement :
    We are here to get as much of your money as we can for the customers we send to you. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It SHOULD read - "we are entitled to a FAIR share of the revenue from the customers we send to you"

The idea "we want as much as we can get" is why most .com businesses die. They overpaid for the revenue , thinking lose money today , make it up tomorrow. Tomorrow only came for a few of those companies , most vanished along with their investor monies. And the affiliates ? Instead of a long term growing stream of income , received a short lived "windfall" and then had to waste their time and effort looking for the next pot of gold. As for the companies that made it ? Look at PayPal for example. They initially paid affiliates $5.00 per sign-up , then they attached conditions that almost made it impossible to ever get that $5.00 , then they eliminated the commission altogether. Meanwhile , affiliates built the business , got a few crumbs and PapPal sold out for megabucks. I never received my fair share of that transaction even though it would never have happened w/o me ( affiliates as a group )

Now the second part:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>You are here to get as many of our customers as you can paying us as little as possible for them. That's only good business. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The "variable costs" portion of the profit formula includes - % cost of revenue acquisition ie. sales commission. Compared to non-internet business , this cost factor is both a businessman's "dream" and "nightmare" on the internet. The businessman knows EXACTLY what the % is. No extra surprises. That's the "dream". Not like in the brick & mortar world. However that % compensation has to be fair AND competitive , or the businessman will not get quality sales people ( affiliates ) and results. That's the "nightmare". Because in order for the businessman to enlist TOP salespeople ( affiliates ) he/she has to compete with the whole world solely on bottom line resulting dollars into the salesperson's pocket. For an internet merchant to be successful for the long term , he better fairly compensate the affiliates for their time and efforts or they will simply put that time and effort elsewhere. In fact , it behooves a merchant to pay its affiliates as MUCH as profitably possible , not as little as possible. THAT'S GOOD BUSINESS !

When you want to appear "generous" it is not because you think we are such deserving great guys. You don't even really know us. It is because you want to motivate us to send more customers that you feel you will ultimately profit from.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are many reasons why a merchant is "generous". Here are two.

1. Being "generous" to motivate more sales is one. But again look at the profit formula. The more revenues the lower as a % of that revenue is the "fixed cost" factor. So what a merchant is doing is passing along that savings to you , in either whole or part , by being extra "generous". That's not being generous , that's being fair and a good businessman as the more you earn , the more competitive he is for your time and efforts. The more competitive he is , the more you promote , the more you BOTH earn. Remember , the success to business is a win-win scenario.

2. Being "generous" to compensate for an event that financially affected your sales staff through no fault of theirs. Example - we had link problems , sales were lost , by all. It was not the fault of our affiliates so they should be compensated. Or when we had a destructive hurricane and business was closed , my staff still had to eat. I was "generous" by still making payrolls as if we were open. Not generous , just fair and smart business.

A merchant might not personally know all its affiliates , but you ARE great guys. Because without you we have no business. I don't have to "know" someone to appreciate them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I work on the assumption that most merchants are honest just as are most affiliates. But, the truth is we just don't know who always is and who is not. We do know that liars and cheats are in this business. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree , I assume everyone is honest until they show otherwise. Unfortunately , I get disappointed a lot. But I am not going to change who I am , because of the actions of those with “tainted” souls.

However, I certainly do trust the ones on ABW more. They, at least, do get to know us a little. And, they have a great deal to lose if they tarnish their reputation with double dealing.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Again I agree. A person’s true colors eventually shine though. Cockroaches don’t like the light , and ABW members do have a habit of shining a bright light! But that doesn’t mean that if a merchant is not here they are bad. Some don’t know about ABW , some don’t have the time .

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast