Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 44
  1. #1
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Angry Link Builder Busted - Again
    Linkshare - you are making things sooo difficult. Everytime I log in to get some work done, there is something else that isn't working. Today it is the Link Builder... so... I guess I'll have to build my promotions using other merchants that aren't on LS.

    This isn't very fair to your merchants.

    And of course... the report feature isn't working properly... still..

    This isn't very fair to your affilates.

    You are a big company. It's time to get it together.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  2. #2
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    I often for TigerDirect, Overstock, Sierra Trading Post, Walmart, and other LS merchants create individual product showcases and place on my highest traffic pages. With the new LInkshare Publisher Dashboard I see no way to choose a merchant for links like TigerDirect ... then under link type choose individual product links. NO WHERE can I find the "LinkBuilder option" that would display where to place the product URL, some text for a text link and the Image URL. Then for years I just pushed the "generate code" button and paste into my web pages.

    Merchants like TigerDirect Walmart, Overstock do not update or purge their individual product database so OUT of STOCK messages bites the affiliate in the butt after all the linkj building work. I only trust going to the merchants web siote and finding in-stock items to showcase. It's bad enough the L:inkshare BHO partnerships will try to overwrite my return cookie if the shopper doesn't buy on first visit and return by direct type in or bookmark. I need to maximize my shoppers interest to buy upon first visit.

    Explain to me where I can generate customized individual product links under the new Linkshare link coding system. Without this feature I'm like LeeAnn.... looking for other merchants to showcase their individual best product buys.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

    "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

  3. #3
    Affiliate Manager afrayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    24
    Unhappy
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Linkshare - you are making things sooo difficult. Everytime I log in to get some work done, there is something else that isn't working. Today it is the Link Builder... so... I guess I'll have to build my promotions using other merchants that aren't on LS.

    This isn't very fair to your merchants.

    And of course... the report feature isn't working properly... still..

    This isn't very fair to your affilates.

    You are a big company. It's time to get it together.
    So, Leeann, why is it that your decision to promote a product is based on whether or not LinkBuilder works? Shouldn't you be promoting a product based on the merits of the product and the merchant's program, rather than choosing to promote a product simply because it is easy?

    I don't mean to pick on you, but as a merchant, I'd be concerned about working with publishers who are quick to give up on my products. I offer a variety of ways to link to my products; LinkBuilder is only one way. Individual Product Links is another, and is nearly as good at providing a link as LinkBuilder.

    I urge you, as a merchant, to think about the reasons you applied to the LinkShare merchants' programs and to give thought to how you can reach your goals with the tools you have, rather than changing your goals because one of your tools is temporarily broken.

  4. #4
    Affiliate Manager afrayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    24
    Red face
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Explain to me where I can generate customized individual product links under the new Linkshare link coding system. Without this feature I'm like LeeAnn.... looking for other merchants to showcase their individual best product buys.
    I would like to be able to help, but the few times I tried to use the new system, I found parts of it still unworkable. When I mentioned this to my rep, he showed me how to reach the traditional console, where the features I wanted to try still worked.

    So my generic advice is to stay away from the new console until something informs you they've got the bugs worked out.

    And, of course, I'd have to say this would be an excellent time to try the individual product links from some of your smaller, yet more reliable, competitors to Tiger Direct, Overstock, and the like.

  5. #5
    Analytics Dude Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    5,904
    I'd be concerned about working with publishers who are quick to give up on my products
    You're kind of missing the point. A busy as we all are, we need fast, efficient tools for us to build sites, ppc campaigns, and marketing pieces.

    I'd rather spend my time SELLING your product than dorking around with a broken interface.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

    Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

  6. #6
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    I don't mean to pick on you, but as a merchant, I'd be concerned about working with publishers who are quick to give up on my products.
    Err.. hmmm.. huh?
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  7. #7
    Affiliate Manager afrayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    24
    Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    You're kind of missing the point. A busy as we all are, we need fast, efficient tools for us to build sites, ppc campaigns, and marketing pieces.

    I'd rather spend my time SELLING your product than dorking around with a broken interface.
    Okay, Kevin, you got me there. I'd rather have you selling my product than dorking around with the tools, also.

  8. #8
    Affiliate Manager afrayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    24
    Question
    Quote Originally Posted by leeann
    Err.. hmmm.. huh?

    I guess if you were the only merchant I was working with your strategy would make sense. This is an aggressive business tho...
    I know what you're saying. I'm only asking you to look at it from both sides. Yes, us merchants are (perhaps literally) a dime a dozen. But to a fair extent, the same can be said of publishers. The good merchants try to give as many tools as they can to the publishers, but publishers that don't make an effort on the part of the merchants aren't going to be good publishers in the merchant's eyes. The result is that both publishers and merchants start treating each other as disposable.

    Wouldn't this be a good time for the publisher to reach out to the merchant for help, rather than simply throwing him/her away simply because the tool stopped working? If the merchant is worthwhile, wouldn't the merchant respond and try to help, recognizing this publisher might just be worth saving?

    Just asking...

  9. #9
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    NO WHERE can I find the "LinkBuilder option" that would display where to place the product URL, some text for a text link and the Image URL.
    It's still there on some merchants - TigerDirect for example, still has it. You have to scroll down a bit. It has a big circle by it (or something) with a link that says Link Builder...but it works only some of the time.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  10. #10
    Affiliate Manager HuckIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 17th, 2007
    Location
    'Zona Baby
    Posts
    26
    @ecomcity: the LinkBuilder is in the new interface, it's just really hard to find... Here's my best effort at explaining where it is:

    Once you're on the front page of your account, click on the links tab. When the list of merchants comes up, wave your mouse over one of them. See that window that pops up? Ignore it. Just click on the name of the merchant, and you'll come to the new version of the Create Links page. On the left, there are many link options, and if you scroll down you should see an wrench icon for the LinkBuilder, assuming the merchant has that feature enabled.

    This does not solve the problem of it not working at the moment. But at least you can find it.

  11. #11
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    Wouldn't this be a good time for the publisher to reach out to the merchant for help, rather than simply throwing him/her away simply because the tool stopped working? If the merchant is worthwhile, wouldn't the merchant respond and try to help, recognizing this publisher might just be worth saving?
    Just asking...
    Not really. Many times I don't know what I am going to promote until I shop the site, with a consumer-mind, not an affiliate's mind. Then I select the products I feel are worthy for my promotion, build the links, copy/paste them on my site and I'm finished. I'm not going to mess with a lot of emails back and forth - or many times - forth... and wait all day to get a response. It's LS responsibility to keep its tools working properly, which as of late, hasn't been happening. The tools are there because the process I described above works. Emailing back and forth does not work..at least not for me.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  12. #12
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,350
    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    I don't mean to pick on you, but as a merchant, I'd be concerned about working with publishers who are quick to give up on my products. I offer a variety of ways to link to my products; LinkBuilder is only one way. Individual Product Links is another, and is nearly as good at providing a link as LinkBuilder.

    I urge you, as a merchant, to think about the reasons you applied to the LinkShare merchants' programs and to give thought to how you can reach your goals with the tools you have, rather than changing your goals because one of your tools is temporarily broken.
    Well, I guess this is how LS gets away with it's lousy service and high price. This guy is blaming the affiliate not LS.

  13. #13
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by HuckIt
    wrench icon for the LinkBuilder, assuming the merchant has that feature enabled.
    That's a wrench? wow - you've got good eyes That popup (yellow deal) is such a PIA! It covers the linkbuilder and just lingers and lingers... (maybe they use a wrench because it's always broken)
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  14. #14
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    Smile
    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    So, Leeann, why is it that your decision to promote a product is based on whether or not LinkBuilder works? Shouldn't you be promoting a product based on the merits of the product and the merchant's program, rather than choosing to promote a product simply because it is easy?

    I don't mean to pick on you, but as a merchant, I'd be concerned about working with publishers who are quick to give up on my products. I offer a variety of ways to link to my products; LinkBuilder is only one way. Individual Product Links is another, and is nearly as good at providing a link as LinkBuilder.

    I urge you, as a merchant, to think about the reasons you applied to the LinkShare merchants' programs and to give thought to how you can reach your goals with the tools you have, rather than changing your goals because one of your tools is temporarily broken.
    Reality Check Mr. LS Merchant. You might have control of your Linkshare database and have only in-stock items there, accurate prices, super motivating pre-sell product text description and valid product images. MOST do not and certainly TigerDirect Walmark, Overstock, Sierra Trading Post and other major LS merchants have product databases fueling Linkshare that contain thousands of obsolete products, bad SKU's, and broken images... Try pre-selling that crap as an affiliate

    The only sure way to pick out products to showcase on any merchants site is to actually go there and find the ones I personally think are good buys or in-demand products. Hopefully when I test their availability and QTY on-hand by adding 99 to the merchants shopping cart... I'll take the time to place some on my highest traffic pages with great promo text and best product image to generate specific product traffic. The others can collect dust on the webshelves.

    Linkshare always had a good way to generate custom individual product links for their best product selling merchants. Now that "Linkbuilder" feature is missing in action and therefore I'm dead in the water on generating new showcase product promos with another great similar in-stock bargain. What am I do to as nowhere, while spending 30 minutes browsing the individual pages of products (PS many also Out of Stock or discontinued), do I find the bargain price and product I'm interested in sending buyers to that page.

    Without the individual product link code generater I'd be forced to shove coupons,,,, not products,,, at shoppers visiting my pages. Why would I want to join 10,000 other coupon spammers doing that. I'd rather just build, or buy, a BHO and shove incent popup up their butts for 5000 merchants then operate another me too coupon site buried in the SERPs.

    I can no longer get to the old Linkshare interface to build individual product links by hand. I can't find the "wrench Icon" or any reference to "linkbuilder" in the new interface. Keep this up and I'll finally be able to wean myself from any and all linkshare merchants aside from GoldenCan displays.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

    "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

  15. #15
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    Well, I guess this is how LS gets away with it's lousy service and high price. This guy is blaming the affiliate not LS.
    For real.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  16. #16
    2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Location
    St Clair Shores MI.
    Posts
    17,328
    Quote Originally Posted by HuckIt
    @ecomcity: the LinkBuilder is in the new interface, it's just really hard to find... Here's my best effort at explaining where it is:

    Once you're on the front page of your account, click on the links tab. When the list of merchants comes up, wave your mouse over one of them. See that window that pops up? Ignore it. Just click on the name of the merchant, and you'll come to the new version of the Create Links page. On the left, there are many link options, and if you scroll down you should see an wrench icon for the LinkBuilder, assuming the merchant has that feature enabled.

    This does not solve the problem of it not working at the moment. But at least you can find it.
    Found the Linkbuilder Icon. The merchant's site does come up in the right frame but the linkbuilder generator tool and URL fields are missing on the left. Guess it's in the repair shop. Would be logical to place that "linkbuilder" icon & link on the individual product link pages.
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

    "What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

  17. #17
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    I know what you're saying. I'm only asking you to look at it from both sides. Yes, us merchants are (perhaps literally) a dime a dozen. But to a fair extent, the same can be said of publishers. The good merchants try to give as many tools as they can to the publishers, but publishers that don't make an effort on the part of the merchants aren't going to be good publishers in the merchant's eyes. The result is that both publishers and merchants start treating each other as disposable.
    This is actually a great idea. Now let's take a look from the publishers side. Linkshare is a multi million dollar corporation with hundreds of employees and technical resources that we can only drool over. Most of us are either sole contributors or very small organizations with limited resources. If there were the occasion problem of Linkbuilder or the reports not working or not being able to log in, then perhaps this latest issue becomes more tolerable. However, there always seems to be an issue which prevents us from getting our work done.

    Linkshare makes money on network fees as well as an override on our commissions. We however only make money on commissions. So think about it, if you were in our shoes, would you waste time on an endeavor that doesn't maximize your profit potential or would you work with those networks, merchants or programs that work?

    I can't believe that as a merchant you're not up in arms about an interface that has so many issues that your affiliates can't promote your products as well as they should. I really can't believe that you'd "be concerned about working with publishers who are quick to give up on my products" as opposed to being concerned that you weren't getting your money's worth from LS.

    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  18. #18
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    The result is that both publishers and merchants start treating each other as disposable.

    Wouldn't this be a good time for the publisher to reach out to the merchant for help, rather than simply throwing him/her away simply because the tool stopped working?
    ...(hearing the song Kumbaya in the background)... Actually your outlook on all of this is how things should be, but it's not how it is. It reminds me of the time I didn't get a promotion I thought was deserved... my boss told me.. "Baby, this a'int no love affair --- it's bissnesssss"

    Afrayer, I just can't develop that close of a relationship with the 1200+ merchants I promote. It's all about who does it best, who sells it best and no one has all that much time to devote to a few products that can't get up on the site and selling asap. But... your outlook is very sweet. Wish things could be that way...but then we'd all still be on dialup.
    Last edited by leeann; July 8th, 2008 at 11:43 AM.
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  19. #19
    Full Member
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2005
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    224
    Not to hijack, but I tried putting an individual item up today from Eastbay and had to wade through pages and pages of links to find the one item. Is there a search somewhere I'm not seeing? I would have thought the Filter area would have one, but it doesn't.

  20. #20
    Affiliate Manager afrayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2008
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    I can't believe that as a merchant you're not up in arms about an interface that has so many issues that your affiliates can't promote your products as well as they should. I really can't believe that you'd "be concerned about working with publishers who are quick to give up on my products" as opposed to being concerned that you weren't getting your money's worth from LS.

    -rematt
    Thank you for being fair minded about my motivation. It was starting to look like I was posting in a den of cutthroats.

    The merchants have a different interface from the publishers. As far as I can tell, the merchant interface works, and the old publisher interface works. My beef with LS is that they opened the new interface to the "public" before it was ready. If I weren't here, I'd never know a problem existed in the publisher interface.

    If I wasn't truly here to learn something, I wouldn't be here long, because I would be run off by the hostile natives. I'm really hoping people will see where I'm coming from, and offer helpful suggestions, rather than sniping.

  21. #21
    Classic Rocker Mack's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 27th, 2007
    Location
    Lower Left Coast
    Posts
    1,167
    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    Wouldn't this be a good time for the publisher to reach out to the merchant for help, rather than simply throwing him/her away simply because the tool stopped working? If the merchant is worthwhile, wouldn't the merchant respond and try to help, recognizing this publisher might just be worth saving?

    Just asking...
    Please try this, it may give you an idea of who you're working with.

    Sign up to LS as an affiliate. Sign up to some programs. Try to sign up to a few LS managed programs and some smaller merchants who might pay attention. Now try to "reach out" to a few of those merchants. Ask a simple question. Try to make contact with LS support. Ask them about why this feature is not working and if they have any idea when it will work.

    You'll then discover why as an affiliate it's much quicker and easier to just move on rather than try to reach out. If you try to make contact with any Linkshare managed programs, you're attempt will fall on deaf ears. Those programs are on autopilot. You don't get replies. I don't understand why merchants think their programs are being "managed" by LS, they aren't.

    If you're lucky you may get a merchant like yourself who actually cares about the program and those promoting it. You may even get a response. From experience I can tell you that getting any response from LS is near impossible. I found it easier to just move on to other networks and dropped LS completely.

    For publishers, time is money. Trying to reach out to LS merchants or to the network itself, is usually a waste of time.

  22. #22
    The Seal of Aproval rematt's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 19th, 2006
    Location
    The Windy City
    Posts
    4,140
    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    The merchants have a different interface from the publishers. As far as I can tell, the merchant interface works, and the old publisher interface works.
    I think someone may have suggested this already, but you may want to apply as an affiliate to your own program so that you can see first hand what some of the issues are. However, as you've noticed, we're not shy, we have no problem telling you what's wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    If I wasn't truly here to learn something, I wouldn't be here long, because I would be run off by the hostile natives. I'm really hoping people will see where I'm coming from, and offer helpful suggestions, rather than sniping.
    Please don't let us run you off. Frankly any AM or merchant that's here and willing to listen and learn is someone that we want around. Don't be discouraged by our obvious passion, it really is that we're very passionate about what we do. Keep an open mind and try to see things from our viewpoint and we'll do likewise.

    -rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

  23. #23
    Moderator leeann's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    2,955
    Quote Originally Posted by afrayer
    If I wasn't truly here to learn something, I wouldn't be here long, because I would be run off by the hostile natives. I'm really hoping people will see where I'm coming from, and offer helpful suggestions, rather than sniping.
    I'm curious as to what you found hostile in the exchange?
    leeann


    Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

  24. #24
    ABW Ambassador
    Join Date
    January 18th, 2005
    Posts
    1,350
    Wow, afrayer you think this thread is hostile. It's affiliates trying to promote merchants through a broken interface. With no suppport or updates from LS. Wouldn't you be worried if we weren't upset.

    Are you really a merchant or are you from LS? My latest conspiracy theory

  25. #25
    I think I posted about this in another thread. I was told by LS customer service (in June) that the link builder won't be fixed until mid-July.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 28th, 2005, 03:40 PM
  2. Link-Builder linking requests.
    By gregdi in forum Search Engine Optimization
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 10th, 2003, 10:07 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •