ABW Ambassador
    Lil' Admin Rant
    I own/admin several sites w/ forums & I think I've seen it all...

I get emails fairly often from people claiming there is an "Error on the forum" when the "error" is that they've simply forgotten their password. Let's get this straight. You register. You don't know what you typed when you registered. You then email me and tell me that there's an error on the forum. Where did this take a wrong turn and your poor memory suddenly becomes my fault?? ugh...

I'll gladly help you. I'd be even more glad if people could take credit for their mistakes instead of blaming everyone else under the sun. Not only that, but there's a handy function where you can request your password. Pretty much every membership-based site has it. It's not new. It's not hiding. We're not playing a joke on you. And it sure as hell isn't my fault, or the forum's, so stop blaming anyone but yourself.

/rant

Hi, I'm a signature.

Just treat everyone as a customer , just like how the CSRs get yelled at every day , but still they do whatever it takes to retain their customers.

A good forum tries to retain all of its members, a bad forum doesn't .

ABW Ambassador
    Like I said, I'll gladly help them.

I don't tell them that when they email me claiming there's an "error on the forum", my heart gets pumping, I drop everything & go into crisis mode thinking the site's gone down or been hacked, only to find they simply forgot their username and/or password.
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Celicaphile
    Like I said, I'll gladly help them.

I don't tell them that when they email me claiming there's an "error on the forum", my heart gets pumping, I drop everything & go into crisis mode thinking the site's gone down or been hacked, only to find they simply forgot their username and/or password.
    Aww you care for them too much, that's nice of you, it's just that they don't get it.

my heart gets pumping, I drop everything & go into crisis mode thinking the site's gone down or been hacked, only to find they simply forgot their username and/or password.
    I know the feeling.

I received an angry letter from a customer the other day who was having horrible issues with a product he ordered. I rushed home from the post office in crisis mode to look up the order and phone the customer.

A forgotten password is a silly enough reason to complain to a site owner, but imagine having to call an angry customer to try to explain that their order didn't include the problem item, nor was it a brand you even sell...

It's happened a few times. I just try to be good natured about it and the customers and I usually end up laughing once we finally figure out what happened.
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by 25trees
    A good forum tries to retain all of its members, a bad forum doesn't .
    Believe me, after running forums for over 10 years there are some members you don't want to keep around. That said, I do my best to be diplomatic and help out any of the non-troublemaking members, even if it is sometimes a pain.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I get emails fairly often from people claiming there is an "Error on the forum"
    When I had my forum up, I found out after several "error on the forum" emails that the (&^ forum software itself (Invision-something) automatically puts that subject line in when someone clicks the link to email the admin!

As for people clicking that link instead of going for the password reset...IF the resetter works right (sometimes they don't), then they probably belong on Jaywalking...

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    I would suggest employing an auto responder with comment problems, issues. At the bottom of the response email state that once they have tried the above suggestions to contact you at another email address.

I'll gladly help you. I'd be even more glad if people could take credit for their mistakes instead of blaming everyone else under the sun. Not only that, but there's a handy function where you can request your password. Pretty much every membership-based site has it. It's not new. It's not hiding. We're not playing a joke on you. And it sure as hell isn't my fault, or the forum's, so stop blaming anyone but yourself.
    I hear you. Sometimes it just makes you want to scream. My daughter used to be a CSR for a MAJOR corporation and they were trained to imagine themselves pounding on a big red button marked "too stupid to live", smiling all the while.....

We have a family forum - fabulous for keeping up with each other all across the country - instant pictures and all. My dear S-I-L has spent the last 5 years "diligently trying to get into the family website", but it NEVER LETS HER IN!

Once on a visit, Mom insisted that I go with S-I-L to her computer and figure out what was keeping her "locked out all the time". So we popped right in, did a whole new registration, etc. I got back to our hotel and had a message from the admin mail. The registration email had bounced - she typed in the wrong email address. Still insists that she didn't - we just don't want her in the website for some reason.

Her loss.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Leader
    When I had my forum up, I found out after several "error on the forum" emails that the (&^ forum software itself (Invision-something) automatically puts that subject line in when someone clicks the link to email the admin!

As for people clicking that link instead of going for the password reset...IF the resetter works right (sometimes they don't), then they probably belong on Jaywalking...
    On the particular forum that sparked this rant, I run Invision... and it took some digging to find the link that they must click to contact me and it does, in fact, open up an email w/ the subject, "Error on the forum" which is right below a link to request password... so that explains maybe 50% of the stupid emails I get. Thanks Leader!

I also use SMF on a couple sites and have gotten some similar emails from those sites and various contact forms...
    Hi, I'm a signature.

ABW Ambassador
    Here's a gem from today: a member wants all 9000+ of his posts removed because a few come up in Google if you search for his company's name. Are you kidding me? I guess he didn't understand that pages get indexed by search engines, y'know, those things you use to find pages that get indexed....
    Hi, I'm a signature.

Here's a gem from today: a member wants all 9000+ of his posts removed because a few come up in Google if you search for his company's name. Are you kidding me? I guess he didn't understand that pages get indexed by search engines, y'know, those things you use to find pages that get indexed....
    That is such a pain.

Couldn't you just remove the company name with search and replace in the database? You could compromise with the member and tell him that his company name will be removed but not his posts.

Goes to show ya, there's more than one reason to watch your tongue...uh keyboard...

X

I am an admin on a few different levels. When I create tutorials for new procedures I include illustrations and very detailed directions. But I still get calls asking me how to do this or that.

When I install software updates I forward all information regarding changes to every user. Do they read it... nope! Lets call Doug.

Most users errors can be classified into to types ID10T or PEBKAC.
    Thanks,
    Doug

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread