Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    Tattoo anyone?
    Just curious if anyone here has experience getting tattoos?

I have been planning one forever and found out that it is going to take three trips and about 9 hours!!! Here is the preview I designed to the best of my ability

It's a Celtic cross with Irish and Scottish themes, an homage to my late father's heritage. Someone please tell me it won't hurt that bad!

Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

3 trips!!!!!! 9 hours!!!!!!!

how big is it going to be? are you covering your entire back?

Something around that same size should only take a max of 2 hours...

I see a Boston Tat session in our future!!! I need to finish my sleeve...
    Jason Rubacky - CEO/SEO Nerd at PassTheSEO
    jason at passtheseo dot com
    @jasonrubacky

It will be about twice that size. Covering my entire right upper arm.

I was told that in order to be done right, I would go in once for the outline, let it heal, then have the color, then the shading if I want it, which at that point...why not?

A Red Sox logo? I don't know...maybe Papelbon's face OK maybe not. haha
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Affiliate Network Rep Kim Salvino's Avatar
    Good luck with that, Matt.

I have a tattoo on my back. It isn't huge or anything. I also gave birth 100% drug free.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would much rather give birth again without drugs than ever get another tattoo.

You'll have to post pics if you do decide to go through with it.
    Kim Salvino, Client Services Director, Performance Horizon Group
    Reach me at kim.salvino(at)performancehorizon.com or on (443) 617-4036

double that size.... 2 sessions max! The shading and color should be done at the same time.... 3-4 hours total...

I once sat for 5 hours to finish one piece so I wouldn't have to wait.... Ouch!!!

not sure on the child birth thing, but I've passed a few kidney stones and I would much rather get some art work done...
    @jasonrubacky

ABW Ambassador
    My brother has something like that on his upper back, small one, celtic cross. It's about that size.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Yes, it hurts and I have a high tolerance for pain.

However I believe it was the "coloring in" that hurt the most.

Well that is comforting. HAHA

Since I know so much about the pains of childbirth and all , I guess I will have to use my imagination...OW!
    Matt McWilliams

you'll be ok Matt....

it could be worse...
    @jasonrubacky

Outsourced Program Manager e-Gazer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    Yes, it hurts and I have a high tolerance for pain.

However I believe it was the "coloring in" that hurt the most.
    That's what I hear - the shading and coloring in is the worst part - starts to feel raw. But you'll live! That design doesn't look like it has a lot of coloring in - so you'll be ok. I only lived through a 14 gauge needle put through me when I had my navel pierced, at age 20 myself. It was quick and relatively painless. But no tats.

If you're going to get any tattoo choosing a design that means something (such as a homage to your late dad's heritage) is a good choice. Not like my younger brother who got the bright idea to tattoo the words "Li'l E" on his left forearm at the age of 15 while going through his wannabe rapper stage. LOL...... he'll be 45 one day shaking his head and wondering what he was thinking.

Or how's this for amusing: A guy I knew as a teenager who wasn't all that bright told everyone he was tattooing his initials on himself - his name was Gaston and his last name began with a G. When he showed us his tattoo it said "GT" so we (neigbourhood kids) questioned why he chose that when his initials were GG. He said "You know, GAS-TON!" I always laugh remembering that. There's no room for "oops" in tattooing.

Better yet, one of my best friends allowed someone to tattoo her boyfriend's initial (B) on her ankle when we were 15. When they broke up she finally revealed to her mom that she had done this, and begged her mom to help her get rid of it. Laser was $1000 and cutting it out was $400 so mom went for the bargain deal. The doctor was brilliant and cut the tattoo out exactly around the outline of the tattoo itself so for $400 she now has a scar in the shape of a B instead of a tattoo. Thank gawd for socks.

Good luck w/ the tattoo Matt! Make sure you get a good tattoo artist and ask to see photos of his work before he/she begins. Let us know how it goes!

My niece got a tattoo this weekend.....

She cried.....

She got it on the top of her foot.... 3 stars... different colors....

I talked her outta getting one on her stomach.... I told her to never get a tat in an area that will be prone to sagging in later years.... she's cute and perky now.... after childbirth though, some of those things are nothing but stretched out blobs of ink....

cute now.... not so cute when you're 50 and your belly tat knocks against your knees....

OK, here goes...
    It is going to hurt.
    It's going to hurt REAL bad.
    It's going to hurt while you are getting it, but your body is going to be producing some many endorphins because of the stress, that you won't think it really hurts.
    Afterwards, it's going to hurt and feel sore. Real sore, like a bad scraped knee (or arm in your case).
    Keep it clean.
    Make sure you eat something before you go, or else you could pass out.
    And the most important thing...make sure the tattoo artist's idea of a sterile needle doesn't mean he licks it clean after each tattoo.

Quote Originally Posted by guinness618
    Afterwards, it's going to hurt and feel sore. Real sore, like a bad scraped knee (or arm in your case).
    or a really bad sunburn!!!!

oh yeah.. and make sure you tip...
    @jasonrubacky

Wow! I am surprised to hear so many people say it hurts so bad. Normally I see a pretty good mixed of yeah, it hurts, and eh, not so bad.

I have 6 tattoos, in order, lower back, shoulder blade, left upper arm, left ankle and foot (vine), spine, and right entire top of foot.

Feet are by far the worse. Don't get one unless you can really tolerate pain. There are a lot of tattoo artists that will charge double for feet because they are so sensitive. Lower back, was rough, especially at the sides and spine.

Basically, the fattier the area, or bonier (I know sounds strange), the worse it will hurt. Bonier, because when they are right over a bone, the bone will vibrate and send some fairly painful sensations through that entire area.

Upper arm, and my shoulder blade were the easiest. My shoulder blade actually felt really good, like a deep tissue massage. Upper arm was like "owe, oh well." It took about 4 hours (a Pheonix that covers about half of my upper arm).

I think the outline is much much much worse than the shading, but the absolute worst pain is when you have a smoking tattoo artist that needs to take a break in the middle, and the tattoo area starts to relax, and then he comes back and drills in it again. It feels like it's digging at an old wound.

Matt, you will be fine, upper arm is a safe place to start!!
    KK

Ride It Like You Stole It CowgirlUp's Avatar
    Kristin you rock! I think we have about the same amount of ink I have a cover up on my arm, 3 on my shoulder blade, one going from my hip almost to my knee and and ankle band with a big tribal sun on it. All of them are tribals.

Matt, for me, the worst part is the outline because the needle is so small. The more needles, (like for color and shading) the less it hurt. At least for me anyway. Because the one on my hip was so long and had so much fill in to be done, the artist whipped out a little creation called an 11 flat spread. It was 6 needles in a line directly below a line of 5 needles. Honestly, it didn't hurt, it just felt like pressure. Unfortunately, after about 4 hours of shooting my endorphins depleted and I started to go into ink shock so we had to do it in two sessions.

Yup, always feels like a bad sunburn to me. Then as it heals, don't scratch!!! Smack it, but don't scratch it....lol Good luck and post pics!!
    Last edited by CowgirlUp; July 9th, 2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: spelling
    Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Gandhi

I just got a portrait of Jimi Hendrix on my upper arm, in two 5 hour sessions. I found the pain to be completely manageable until about hour 3.5, after which it started to hurt quite a bit.

The above descriptions are completely accurate...if you're doing long sessions you may also want to bring a sugary drink or snack in case you start to feel woozy. Don't drink any alcohol first.

Afterward, keep it REALLY clean. Always have either a sleeve or sunblock on it. Protect those colors for years to come!!!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly, LLC 702.407.0707 joe.lilly at partnerweekly.com
    PartnerWeekly

Wow everyone! Thanks for the tips.

Joe, I can't wait to see the tat of Jimi

It will be fall before I start but I am excited about it. Been thinking of it for SO long that I am just ready to do it now.

I want to wait until fall since I won't be in the sun as much. I would hate to have to wear sleeves when it's 99 degrees.
    Matt McWilliams

Affiliate Manager Howard Gottlieb's Avatar
    I might be nuts but if it hurts so much why would anyone want one?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God and die
    to find out there isn't, than live my life as if there
    isn't and die to find out there is.

Because the pain goes away after a week but the coolness of a tattoo lasts forever.
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by visitourmall
    I might be nuts but if it hurts so much why would anyone want one?
    For me, I like them a lot. I already have a few in mind that I want to get. I know all the reasons NOT to, but haha

Also, it's kind of a personal thing with my father. I know that sounds corny, but that is a big reason for this one.
    Matt McWilliams

Matt,

Perhaps this will sound...a little simplistic or even ignorant, but have you considered starting with a temporary tattoo? That way you can have the "cool" look you want without committing to the permanence or pain.

If you really love having it, and find yourself reapplying the temp tat weekly, then you'll feel more confident if you decide to make the leap towards a permanent marking.

As for me; I'd say don't do it. Most of my childhood friends are pushing 40 now, and those of them with tattoos aren't exactly in love with them anymore...

WM

I'm with you Matt...go for it!
    Joseph Lilly
    PartnerWeekly

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lilly
    I'm with you Matt...go for it!
    Agreed!... I'll even go with you and get some more work done!
    @jasonrubacky

Absolute best stuff that I have ever used and just found on my last tattoo (which was my foot) .. tattoogoo/./com. It really did do the best job at minimize color bleed, and is my mst vibrant tattoo after healing
    KK

Good Luck,

I have only a small one in the back and it hurts !

9hours for your fist one, you're going really hard on yourself !

post the results, and even the process

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast