Parallel Printer --- Wireless Print Server vs Wired Router XP Printer Sharing
    AARRGH!

I have finally become annoyed enough to attempt to solve this problem:

I normally work from my laptop which is on a ethernet connection. (Sorry, I don't do wireless internet unless I have no other choice.) I have a workhorse HP laser printer upstairs in my office which I have printed MANY reams of stuff over the years. (Yes, one of my 3 printers, but this is Mr. Reliable and it sure beats an inkjet.) It only has a parallel connection. Up until a couple of weeks ago, it had a parallel to USB cable on it and I would send via a .pdf (using PDF redirect) of whatever I was going to print to my gmail addy and then go upstairs, open it, and print. I know, not the most efficient...but it got the job done. Of course, if I was on the system upstairs, it was just a simple print job of whatever I had on the screen.

Well, now apparently the cheap parallel to USB cable has outlived its time and it decided to die on me. Yes, I checked the drivers...I guess XP has built in parallel to USB support. The cable was a 99 cent + hefty shipping purchase via eBay anyhow, so I can understand how it might not last long. I plug it in and it shows as an unrecognized device. Possibly I tripped over it one day too...hmmm. I have confirmed that the parallel is still working on the printer via my laptop's parallel port (thanks HP.)

Anyway, I know that I can use printer sharing via XP (if I decided to go out and buy another parallel to USB cable.) I have read about it before, just never decided to try it. Though there might be some security concerns there. Or, I can buy a wireless parallel print server and access it from both my desktop and laptop with their built-in wireless. I (for the most part) wouldn't be printing any confidential information. If anyone has any advice out there, I'm all ears.

-sfcom

Get the HP C8180

I know you don't want a new printer but I love that printer it's fast and it's near laser quaity in black and white and color

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/pro...L2526A%2523ABA

Also note the pretty award it has

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    Get the HP C8180

I know you don't want a new printer but I love that printer it's fast and it's near laser quaity in black and white and color

http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/pro...L2526A%2523ABA

Also note the pretty award it has
    Better yet, how about HardwareGeeks comps me one with the HG logo on top that I will show off on YouTube? Sounds like a win/win to me.

-sfcom

Do you have a wireless router, or are you planning to use Ad-Hoc mode?
    --

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti
    Do you have a wireless router, or are you planning to use Ad-Hoc mode?
    No wireless router at present. I have a wired router that I run Vonage through. So I guess this might add some additional difficulty using Ad-Hoc? I don't know much about it.

-sfcom

I wish I could comp ya one, but HP didn't even comp me on mine :'( lol

No problem Mike. FYI, I have an HP Pavilion laptop and the laser is an old HP LJ 4.

I should add that this is the wireless print server I was considering:

D-Link DP-311P Wireless Parallel Print Server 802.11B, about $50 shipped. Supports Ad-Hoc. I have never purchased anything D-Link before...

-sfcom

I've found HP JetDirect network printer interfaces to be reliable and handy. You can probably find a variety of them on eBay. Some models have multiple parallel ports so you can connect more than one printer to them. There's a configuration program that helps you set the printer up on the network and then on your laptop.

X

I'm going with Boomers' suggestion. I have a spare ethernet jack on my router and it is lonely. This will fill it up. Plus, knowing that HP designed this for use in many business and educational environments helps me feel this is the correct solution and it will probably last a long time.

-sfcom

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread