View Poll Results: Should Merchant Correspondence Be in HTML or Text?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer HTML

14 46.67%
  • I prefer Text

7 23.33%
  • Either one is fine

9 30.00%
    Question Should Merchant Correspondence Be in HTML or Text?
    This question might've been asked in the past, but I couldn't find any threads on it.

I'm sending out my approval e-mails and newsletters in HTML, regular correspondence in text, but some affiliates may have particular objections or preferences. Hence, this poll.

Many thanks in advance, affiliates.

G.

I can't say as I really notice the difference between the 2. The only thing I prefer not to get is an email which is built up from images alone. I don't think I've received any affiliate ones like that but I do get some newsletters from online shops with no text at all ... then I have to display the images if I want to actually read the thing ... normally I don't

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Not sure if it's the same elsewhere, but in our network you can't embed campaigns (banners or text ads) for Affiliates to grab in text-based emails, and I've had Affiliates tell me that if a merchant sends an email about a promotion, and the campaign is not embedded in the email, they just delete it. ...rather than logging into the network, finding the merchant campaign the email was about, etc.

Just a thought..

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I would think TXT emails.

Unless you have a system that is able to send out dual emails based on the recipient’s client email viewer, I would be on the cautionary side. If they have a TXT only viewer, it would be tough to decode the HTML email.
    Then, it goes to the trash.

http and a telephoto
    Text. And CJ and SAS both allow embedded banner codes in text emails.

Reminder to re-read the thread about people in dialup, plus other reasons that affiliates might want their email to be "lite".
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

ABW Ambassador
    I voted html. Just finishing up going thru email now and just grabbed code for a banner I liked in the email, also grab regular text links from the email. I like to see it and have the code available in the email. Saves some time from having to login to the network to go get it.

I never send any html emails anymore
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

I am a Plain Text guy but have adapted to the fact that not everybody is so I checked either.

Just about all of the merchant newsletters I receive are HTML. Links and other things get mangled in text newsletters.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    We only send HTML for a program blast but I use Text for personal emails.

THOUGHTS:

(1) I've also read somewhere that HTML e-mails run a greater risk of landing in the recepient's spam folder than plain text e-mails.

(2) Among other things (some of which may be outdated) Herschell G. Lewis (2002) wrote:

...Macintosh users have trouble decoding HTML as created on PCs. But that percentage is tiny, and most Mac users are adroit enough to have pre-solved the problem.
    I know that many affiliates to use Macs. Would appreciate some feedback from them.

(3) Alan G. Isaac (2006) writes:

HTML email can impose costs on the recipient. Therefore HTML mail should be an act between consenting parties. Unless you know that you are writing to someone who does not mind HTML email, send plain text...
    and
    HTML mail can be useful in specific settings. Groups of people can reasonably agree to use HTML for their email communications. However HTML email can impose costs in lost readability and accessibility, reduced convenience, higher bandwidth use, and reduced security. Therefore the use of HTML should be restricted to consenting parties, where it is understood that consent can be given implicitly as discussed above.
    Affiliates are not your regular (or average) online users, and while there is a lot of validity in what he is saying, it is interesting to see how the votes in this poll spread so far. Out of those who have already voted 75% don't mind seeing merchant's/affiliate manager's correspondence in HTML.

(4) It may all come down to testing (and when does it not?)

G.

Today* I can read either, but prefer text. I also use a mobile device for email viewing when I am not at a computer, such as waiting outside a store while Mrs. Beachy shops - and I tend to overlook emails that do not display easily on these ol' tired eyes.

* There was a time, not too long ago, that one of my email readers (I forget which client, but it was on a Mac) could not interpret HTML - those emails simply got deleted. I can't imagine the number of "deals" I missed for those couple of years. Oh, the price of naiveté.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    BOTH should be an option in the poll. Unless it is something special though, we usually do plain text with a link to the HTML version.

The other way is to let the affiliate choose (which we will be doing soon)
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

http and a telephoto
    Also a reminder that any email created in MS Word ends up mangled and has characters that don't come across correctly in text OR html.
    Deborah Carney

ABW Ambassador
    I haven't noticed the difference between the two yet. However, either one you use, I do like to have the ability to grab the codes from the email if the message has links, banners, coupons in it.

One way you can test it out is to send two sets of test emails and let the affiliates vote after they see the result.

For now, I vote for "either one is fine"

And CJ and SAS both allow embedded banner codes in text emails.
    I realize that's possible with text emails (to embed code). But with text-based emails, the banner can't be displayed and there can't be a "Get HTML" link that displays the code when clicked on, authenticated for the specific Affiliate.

Since there is a bit of a broad mix of preference, why don't networks let affiliates opt for text, html or either, and managers set them up both ways, so it satisfies the greater mass .. ? Just a thought.

I believe CJ works in a capacity simular to this.
    KK

Yeah that's the way it works with us as well. A merchant can populate both text and html-based emails.

Whatever configuration the Affiliate uses on their mail client will determine which email they receive.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    I realize that's possible with text emails (to embed code). But with text-based emails, the banner can't be displayed and there can't be a "Get HTML" link that displays the code when clicked on, authenticated for the specific Affiliate.
    I guess I don't understand this Gary, yes the banner code is displayed with the affiliate code embedded in it in Shareasale and a Get Html Link in CJ. It is that way in CJ for either text or html emails.
    Deborah Carney

Maybe I'm misunderstanding as well, but you can't have a "Get HTML" hyperlink in an email that's text-based. Even if the email just includes text, if it has a clickable hyperlink in the message than it's an html-based email

Oh well. Either way, we offer both.

if there are affiliate link codes attached , better in html format

22. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread