Hi All,

My cousin uses Road Runner and has been unable to get to the internet. She had a RR guy come over and reinstall it but still can't connect. I guess he only spent about 10 minutes at her house. Anyways. I told her to drop it off and I would take a look at it. I also told her most likely I probably couldn't get it working but have some buddys online that might be able to help or offer ideas.

Anyways, when I connected it up at my house I was expecting it to boot right up and then I could go look to see what all her setting are and so on. The way she sounded was that it booted up ok, but when she got to IE it just wouldn't connect to the internet. I'm not sure if someone tried to do something in the mean time.

When I turn it on it starts to boot up and goes past the NV Ram OK. Then it stops and has an error msg that says

"CMOS Checksumbad".
    Press F1 to runsetup
    Press F2 to load default vallues & continue.

Right now my keyboard isn't compatible so I can't go any further until she drops off her keyboard but I was curious as to which I should press to get it to boot, F1 or F2??

Also, any info or direction as to what I should look for as to the internet conection problem would be deeply appreciated. Thanks all

Merchant Coincidences, One of the Wonders of the World

Coincidence Me baby!

It's possible that something has corrupted the CMOS settings.
    I would recommend F2 to reset the CMOS to default first.
    Some computers have a jumper on the motherboard you can set to clear the CMOS and reset the defaults, but it might be hard to find without the documentation.

Radegast,
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I would recommend F2 to reset the CMOS to default first <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Thanks, I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to wipe out the whole operating system when I clicked on one of them I'm really pretty much clueless about computers but every now and then I get luck and can find a problem. Thanks again and I'll see what happens.

If that doesn't work is it safe to hit the F1.

Coincidence Me baby!

You're welcome.
    The CMOS has nothing to do with the OS - it's a chip on the motherboard that enables the computer to interact with the hardware while it's booting - the OS gets loaded later in the process.
    You can configure the CMOS chip by going into setup (F1) - here you tell it things like whether to boot from the floppy or CD or hard drive first, things like that. Because this information is configurable but needs to be remembered when the computer is switched off, (there is a battery to power it), it is volatile and can also become corrupted. That's where resetting the default comes in. If you have any more problems let me know, (but I'm on the other side of the pond and my bedtime is fast approaching...)

Thanks again and get some sleep . I'll go try it now with an old keyboard if it's compatible. So if it boots, I'll probably be gone for awhile. Jeesh, sleep sounds good right now to me too

Coincidence Me baby!

Sorry, to answer your question - it's perfectly safe to hit F1 - won't cause any problems. It'll give you a thousand configuration options, which is where it gets more complicated - you can cause problems by setting the wrong things here (nothing that can't be fixed by going back into 'setup' and selecting the right options.) You can also exit 'setup' without saving any changes you make - everything is explained on screen....

tee hee

let's back-track here....

if your keyboard is incompatible, that could be what is causing the CMOS error message in the first place...

It also sounds like the CMOS battery might be dead. It's usually a 3V button type battery that you can buy almost anywhere that sells batteries.. You'll find it inside the computer and somewhere on the motherboard. Should be a little less than an inch in diameter.

Erik Scott,

Affiliate Manager
    TigerDirect.com

E: affiliates@tigerdirect.com
    P: 305-415-2313

Continuing to be Parasite free in 2003!

Just Lurking
    About six month ago I was trying to help someone with RR get on the internet. I had her go throught everything I could think of and then some. Checked every setting. Nothing out of place. I asked her to go down under her desk and unplug the modem and check the cable connection at the wall. She came back and told me she unplugged the modem but the cable wasn't connected to the wall. Yeah, that was the problem.

She must have raised ten shades of hell with the cable company because she emailed me a thank you two days later.

But, it sounds like a battery problem here, like the other said.

Hey, thanks all for the great feedback. I found an old keyboard of mine and did what Radegast said with the F2 and that did take care of that problem

Then once it booted up I went looking to see how the setting were all set to connect to theinternet and they all looked good. After looking and trying a couple of things I still kept getting "illegal operation" and the error msg was;

IE invalid page fault in module WININET.DLL

I decided to take a look in the Recycle Bin and found some folders that I sent back to were they came from. Low and behold I was able to get the computer to connect to the internet. Ummm, I probably should of just shut the computer down and left it alone I did a couple of restarts and it seemed ok but when I did a Shut Down and started it up again I ran the scandisk because it kept coming up with a currupted file and let it fix whatever errors were on the computer. Then I defraged it.

Now it will boot up until it starts to load Windows 98 and then it stops with the error msg:

"shell32.dll linked to missing export shlwapi.dll shreg getusvalue a"

Jeeesh, should of left well enough alone. What I am thinking is to have her bring over her Windows 98 disk this weekend and try a reinstall. Should that take care of the problem? It seems to be an IE Explorer problem. Anymore feed back is still greatly appreciated and once again thanks for the help

Coincidence Me baby!

Just Lurking

You could try restoring the shlwapi.dll when you get her system disks. Probably belongs in /windows/system/

In Windows 98 you can repair/replace system files by putting the 98 CD in place and running the command "SFC" (system file check) in the Run box off the start menu.

Instructions appear.

Might help.

Herb/MCSE

_____
    I earned something? Who screwed up?

Thanks Buddha and Herb,

I'll give it a try when I get the CD before trying to do the whole re-install

Coincidence Me baby!

Make sure it's Windows 98 Second Edition, because I think the SFC in the first edition had a habit of restoring the wrong version of system files. It's years since I worked with Windows 98, there are some built-in tools to restore the system which can be very useful.
    In the long term it may be better to start from scratch and put a clean system on (I get the impression the machine is a few years old, so it probably has loads of junk in the registry.)
    Of course, if you reformat, all data on the hard drive will be wiped.
    Apart from the Windows 98 disc, you would also need the system disc containing the drivers - you might still end up pulling your hair out trying to get the graphics, audio, modem etc drivers installed. (I used to talk people through this whole process on behalf of a VERY famous computer manufacturer, and, believe me, half the time they shipped the wrong drivers on the system discs...)
    Good luck DaPackster!

Also try taking out the network card/modem. Sounds like this might have been the problem in the first place,bad network card/modem or driver failure.

Have you Screened your
    advertisers lately? For shortened cookie durations , Parasites,
    Location of 1-800 numbers, cookie overwriting pop ups, cookie overwriting emails...Traffic leaks on their own web pages. Have you done any test purchases lately? and more...are your web pages being framed?

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread