A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    WWYD? Free linking....
    I have a quandry. An online acquaintance asked me if I would post a banner to her mama made boutique on my craft blog. I have monetized the blog, but really haven't put a ton of effort into it, but I am torn between giving her a freebie, and saying no. It doesn't really cost me anything to do, but her stuff sells for a nice chunk of change, and she lives off of this business quite well, so I feel like I should ask for something. My PR on the main blog page is only 3, but I just don't know.

What would you all suggest? If I charge her, what would be fair and friendly?

TIA!
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    I have a quandry. An online acquaintance asked me if I would post a banner to her mama made boutique on my craft blog. I have monetized the blog, but really haven't put a ton of effort into it, but I am torn between giving her a freebie, and saying no. It doesn't really cost me anything to do, but her stuff sells for a nice chunk of change, and she lives off of this business quite well, so I feel like I should ask for something. My PR on the main blog page is only 3, but I just don't know.

What would you all suggest? If I charge her, what would be fair and friendly?

TIA!
    At the very, very least, you should get a link back from her site. Your site is part of your livelihood too, so I don't see a problem in charging for advertising, but it's up to you. Perhaps ask her if she's interested in starting an affiliate program and giving you a percentage of sales made through your link.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Yeah - ask for a percent of her sales.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

If she is making money off of her site, she needs to either link back to you or pay you for the traffic. It would be one thing if she was just starting out and needed a little traffic bump or if her site didn't generate revenue. But it's completely different when you monetize your site and her site is making money. I would just respond "sure! I have two different options for links on my site...either exchanging links or a paid model. I'm not sure which you were looking for, but I'm sure we can work something out with one or the other." That way, you put it back in her court to make you an offer and let her know it is a quid pro quo deal.
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Does her linking back to you really help if you "haven't put a ton of effort into it"?

I like helpingmoms approach but mine would be (and actually my real life approach is) giving them the option of paying for a monthly link or a yearly one.

As for the price, that's something you'll have to decide.

Introduce them to the concept of affiliate marketing and show them how to increase sales. Offer to be the first affiliate.

A Real *and* Darn Cool Member! lstolze's Avatar
    Yeah, well, she wants it for free. LOL! I like your suggestion, helpingmoms. While I don't put a ton of effort into this site now, it is slated for more, so I don't know...
    ~Lisa - Brilliant Mastermind, or Nut? You decide!

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    This is an "online acquaintance" we're talking about, not a "friend" and I think you should absolutely charge for a link. At the very least, get a link back. I don't give free links to anyone who is making money off their site, other than free links to "content" that is relevant to my page and then it's a mutual exchange. Anyone with a commercial site needs to pay for links, even friends. Those links will be leading OUT of my site, which kills my potential income from that visitor so I don't see where there's a problem charging for a link.

Helpingmoms is much nicer about things than I am so I'll bow to her sweetness and agree with her approach. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

I like the idea of her getting an affiliate program and you putting an affiliate link on your site. However it is not cheap to develop your own affiliate program especially if it is not a digital product

At the end of the day, your site is a business and you need to have a professional approach to it.

If you give her free banner space, you really need to be clear with her that this is for a limited time only.

In my case, I would charge her on a pay per 1000 impressions basis
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by lstolze
    Yeah, well, she wants it for free. LOL! I like your suggestion, helpingmoms. While I don't put a ton of effort into this site now, it is slated for more, so I don't know...
    lstolze.

I like meadow muffins & helping moms approaces best.

Heres the deal. I think that a link back should be the very least. Also you should monetise it too.

The higher the volume you generate, the higher your rates should be.

Hope this helps.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Since she doesn't know how much money you make on your own site, you could put a spin on it... say that placing a banner means that you will lose revenue, so if she would like to pay, you would be happy...

I've been there myself & know it's a little awkward - your site real estate is about the only thing you have full control over

In my case, I designed a client site, they paid me a fee but it was a VERY good deal for them. When they asked for placement, I was apologetic & said I had some exclusive arrangements in place. They weren't the wiser..

In your case, definitely not for free...

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread