Skype Questions for Users
    Skype keeps coming up in threads indicating a pretty wide user group here at ABW. I just got it Friday and bought the $3.00 monthly plan so that I could use it to replace my home phone for long distance. You could put our phone book in your hip pocket it's so small and every body is long distance.

For anyone way behind like me the Skype to Skype calls are free with the software. The quality is great. I picked up on that when someone mentioned that loxly and NYfalcon where on Skype when they made their A/B Testing podcast.

Some recommendations on a headset with mike would be good. I have been making a few pod casts and need a better mike anyway but don't have a clue.

How about the web cams they sell? I was thinking of trying to use a web cam so that my 92 year old mother could see her great grand children. Anybody used a web cam with Skype?

You mean people use that software from that company that ebay over payed for? The one that constantly has call quality problems during peak times.

I rather use MSN or Yahoo for webcam chats.

No Longer Banned!
    Is Skype Ripe For Linux ?....
    BumPaw

Say man. I ain't much help here with your questions, but in case you wanna expand your knowledge bro, the Phillips Phone doesn't work on Linux at all and the 2008 lineup includes models that do not need a computer anymore.

I am a skype client but I don't use it much and I have bought the hardware only to have to return it to the store.

I think you might try the 9.95 head set to start with just to try it out. If you don't like it, it was just ten bucks right ?

Let me know.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; July 13th, 2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: texas spelling spreeeeee......
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

http and a telephoto
    I use it for web calls all the time and rarely have connection problems. For voice to voice it's great. It's only as good as your computer and your isp though, so if you have connection issues, you will have Skype call issues.

You can conference call with up to 10 people now I think, you can definitely call people Skype to Skype free. It's nice to be able to chat and share links during a conversation. You can audio record, or audio and video record (haven't tried that!). My laptop has a built in web cam that I use for video calls. I use a usb headset that has noise cancelling for recording podcasts. For normal calls I just use the built in laptop mic and speakers. That way I can wander while I talk

For the podcast recording I asked around and most people were using Skype and Pamela, so I have Pamela. NYFalcon has the free version and I have the paid one. The paid one is supposed to let you record unlimted length calls, the free version goes to 15 minutes. My paid version isn't working with Vista, his free version is working with Vista perfectly. Doing research we found that 15 minutes is about the limit that people want to listen to at one time anyway and it works for us You can find Pamela under Tools, Do More, Get Extras. I recommend setting it to NOT load when you open Skype and to open it manually when you need it so it doesn't hog memory.

I see you added me, feel free to start a chat and we can test a call. First setting you should change actually is the option to start a chat or a call by default, set it to start a chat. I always start a chat before I start a call Calls can disrupt other things you are doing if you aren't expecting them.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    I see you added me, feel free to start a chat and we can test a call. First setting you should change actually is the option to start a chat or a call by default, set it to start a chat. I always start a chat before I start a call Calls can disrupt other things you are doing if you aren't expecting them.
    Thanks for that tip. I'll try a test.

I live overseas and use Skype frequently to call my family and friends. It works great for me, I've never had a problem. I just have a regular $10 headset with mic, it's not even skype certified and it works fine.

Even when I call computer to phone or computer to cell it works great. The rates are very affordable. $10 Skype credit lasts a long time.

I'm a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwareGeek
    The one that constantly has call quality problems during peak times.
    I'm wondering how long it's been since you tried it. This "Skype for Interviews - A How To Video" indicates that it's come a long way. The video was made December 2007.

8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread