Ebay phasing out the 'little guy'?, brings in Buy.com listings.
    “Frankly, we are challenging some of the core assumptions that we have made about our business,” said Stephanie Tilenius, general manager of eBay North America. “Instead of focusing on being an auction business, we are looking at what it takes to create the best marketplace out there.”
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/14/te...gy/14ebay.html

If you are a little guy trying to sell the same stuff the big guys sell, going to get even harder to compete.

If you sell one of a kind, or oddball stuff, probably not much will change. But since ebay may become less branded for that kind of thing, maybe a chance for a new player to emerge?

To my way of thinking, this isn't a small change at all.

To me, it de-values what ebay should be, which is a c2c marketplace, and makes it even more advantageous for hacks and jerks to erode product value by selling things for next to no margin there.

When I'm talking to a manufacturer these days, I always ask: Do you allow your partners to sell on eBay? If the answer is yes, I move on.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    I don't know. When you look at their stores they have:

http://stores.ebay.com/_W0QQfeZ1QQtZ...788.m150.l1244

You see 25 stores a page, 1115 pages = over 27,000 stores and a lot of them are known brands I recognize, Outpost, Zazzle, Eforcity, Replacements ltd, Bookcloseouts, Rugs USA, just some I see in the first 14 pages of the 1115 pages they have. So they've always had merchants of all sizes, merchants with affiliate programs in there. Buy.com is a bigger merchant. But as a buyer, I've used Ebay for auction type stuff before and will in the future since they really have no competition at this point as far as that type of stuff. I do like to see it more Auction type stuff, what made them big. But as I go thru the store pages, there will be the smallest mom and pop stores and lots of names you'll recognize.

“Instead of focusing on being an auction business, we are looking at what it takes to create the best marketplace out there.”

Like I said, I like the focus on the auction business, so who knows.

Yeah, I said small, but should've included recent....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

I stopped using eBay years ago when it essentially stopped being a c2c auction site. In its purest form, eBay was created to be a middleman between two individuals. I post an auction, someone bids and wins, and eBay takes a small cut. That's IT. When they started having dropshippers flooding the listings and "stores", that was enough for me.

I'm not saying it's a bad business for those involved, but it's no longer really a c2c auction site, and hasn't been for several years.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

HecticDMC~

Just curious, what is your auction site of choice these days?

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I like the idea of including a wider range of products on Ebay. I don't like how they are giving beneficial terms to the big companies. I don't think that was a smart move.

I don't do online auctions currently. I'm not lacking for space in my house, so the few things that I might put up for auction... I'm just sitting on 'em until I decide to deal with them CD's, DVD's... basically any kind of media I want to get rid of, I'll take it to a local shop and make out better than I would if I were dealing with eBay.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

eBay is declining rapidly because they do know who their customer is. They are catering solely to the buyers, but it is the sellers who pay their fees. A lot of Power Sellers have given up on eBay during the past year. It looks like Buy.com was able to cut a favorable deal with them, which is going to put more sellers at a disadvantage.

I didn't sell anything on eBay for a while and just recently listed a few items. Here are the recent changes that I found:

1. The fees they charges have reached the point of being outrageous. I've sold thousands of items on eBay in the past and never had to pay the huge fees that they currently demand.

2. Sellers are no longer able to give buyers a neutral or negative feedback rating. However, buyers can give a seller any type of feedback. Some buyers are using that to strong arm sellers. I know for a fact that there are people who ignore all of the rules and give all sellers negative feedbacks. The only negative feedback that I ever received was from a buyer who claimed that a tape I sold him ruined two VCRs. I sold him an audio cassette.

I think eBay is getting desperate and is likely to do a lot of stupid things.

Since they took their affiliate program in-house, my commissions have been cut in half and although they registered tons of clicks this month, my commission thus far is zero.
    Last edited by Tech Evangelist; July 15th, 2008 at 10:40 AM.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    When I'm talking to a manufacturer these days, I always ask: Do you allow your partners to sell on eBay? If the answer is yes, I move on.
    Sound thinking Kevin. ;-)
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

That's funny, I have a very small site that I do some promotion for eBay on, and your post reminded me to check my stats. I made 7 bucks from them last week I'm rich! lol
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread