NICE - Spam Call from a ASE08 Visitor
    OK I am going to name names because I am irritated - Kayne Anderson - Private Equity firm out of L.A. - - just called and their pitch starts -

Hi this is Kayne Anderson out of LA and we will be attending Affiliate Summit in Boston and want to make sure that we have the name of the president of (insert company name here) correct.....

I ask again who is this, and get Kayne Anderson

That is your name? No that is the company...

Where did you get my information?

We are attending Aff. Summ and wanted to make sure we had the presidents name correct....

Needless to say I appreciate the networking opportunities from all the social side of Aff Summ, but when will people learn that it is not ok to use the names of attendees like this?

Anyone else get a call from these guys?

Affiliate Summit Guy Shawn Collins's Avatar
    Hi Aunesty -

I just wanted to point out that we don't give email or phone to anybody.

Sponsors get snail mail addresses for attendees after the show.
    Affiliate Summit - Las Vegas on January 10-12, 2016

Thanks Shawn and I know there is no way you would ever contribute to this behavior - they went through the work of locating this information on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Collins
    Sponsors get snail mail addresses for attendees after the show.
    Shawn -- Can you explain the purpose of providing attendees' addresses to the sponsors and exhibitors? As you know, most affiliates use their home addresses and thinking these can be bought and sold anywhere on the internet is not a very comforting idea. Wouldn't it be a little safer to provide only email addresses if you must provide contact information?

Also, it doesn't seem to be 'industry standar' as you claim; SES, PubCon, BlogWord, SMX do not this:
    http://www.shoemoney.com/2008/07/22/...r-information/

Quote Originally Posted by KevinKnapp
    Shawn -- Can you explain the purpose of providing attendees' addresses to the sponsors and exhibitors?
    Sponsors and exhibitors are provided an address list for post-conference direct marketing.

As you know, most affiliates use their home addresses and thinking these can be bought and sold anywhere on the internet is not a very comforting idea. Wouldn't it be a little safer to provide only email addresses if you must provide contact information?
    If there are privacy concerns, I'd suggest getting P.O. Box. I did as an affiliate quite some time ago.

We do not make email available, so that attendees are not subjected to spam.

Also, it doesn't seem to be 'industry standar' as you claim; SES, PubCon, BlogWord, SMX do not this
    Those conferences were asked if they distribute private information. We don't distribute private information, either. We provide sponsors with the attendee names, companies, and business street addresses.

Personally, I don't mind my mailing address being made available because so far, it has not been abused. I have not been inundated with direct marketing materials. Having said that... I can definitely see how some would have a problem with it.

It's easy to say thanks for not sharing email addresses to cut down on spam - but I don't limit spam to email. Direct marketing that shows up in my snail mailbox is spam, too. So, there's that.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Hmmm let's see would I rather have my email address shared and possible sold or my home address shared and possible sold?

PO Boxes are great, I wouldn't be without one yet I still don't like the idea.

But then again it's probably ea$ier to get people to $pon$or if you promi$e them the added bonu$ of providing all of that information.

I know, people have a choice as to whether to provide their info or not and all that jazz.

Those conferences were asked if they distribute private information. We don't distribute private information, either. We provide sponsors with the attendee names, companies, and business street addresses.
    Don't you think home addresses are private information?

Also, PubCon's Brett clearly states that they never provide any attendee information.

"Brett Tabke (Webmasterworld PubCon Conferences):
    We have never given out so much as one name, email, or postal address to any one. We have no plans to do so in the future."

Don't you think home addresses are private information?
    We've never asked for home addresses. We're asking for a business address.

Also, PubCon's Brett clearly states that they never provide any attendee information.
    And the others? Have you registered and seen how they do it, or just taking his word?

And how about a conference Jeremy has attended, but neglected to include: ad:tech?

ABW Ambassador
    Oh Man, Shawn you're splitting hairs. You know very well for many affiliates our home address is our business address. Did you mention anywhere on the registration form that you would be giving out our private info? Google my name and my town and you have my street address, whether or not I use a POBox. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Lily
    Oh Man, Shawn you're splitting hairs. You know very well for many affiliates our home address is our business address. Did you mention anywhere on the registration form that you would be giving out our private info? Google my name and my town and you have my street address, whether or not I use a POBox. Wow.
    It's in the registration process and the privacy policy.

We've never asked for home addresses. We're asking for a business address.
    The registration form asks for "Personal Information", which implies home address. If it's really the business address you're asking for, perhaps you could change the form labels.
    --

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread