Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Need Help With Comcast Net and Router
    I need help because this is going to drive me nuts!

I have gone through just about every google listing I can find to help me with a solution but nothing holds; it only works for a little while.

Basically I am now stuck with Comcast internet and I've been having a heck of a time getting the router to work AND stay that way.

If I follow the basic instructions for getting it to work it does; but only for a little while.

I'm finding that each day I have to reset the router and go through all the steps again in order to get it to work.

From my searches I can see that many people have this problem with Comcast yet I have yet to find a solution. Comcast doesn't really help with these issues so I'm left scratching my head.

I know it's something on their end and it has to be something I can do to make it stick, but I don't know what settings to change.

Does anyone else use Comcast with a router?

ABW Ambassador
    Hi

I've used Comcast and added a Lynksys Wireless G Router several years ago. I followed the instructions that came with the router and had no problems installing and no problems with loss of settings to this day. The instructions you followed bear little resemblance to those in the installation manual, though that might make sense if you have a different type of router.

You shouldn't have to do the iprelease and renew ever, since the router should pick up an ip when you turn it on connected to the system. The router, in turn will take care of the workstation's ip.

Ken

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Establish the connection without hooking up the router... just the cable modem. Run ipconfig to verify broadband connection settings and also look at details under the control panel "network" settings. If everything is stable then hook up through the external router after hitting the reset button on the router on power up. The router should pick up the windows IP settings and disburse/broadcast them to anything connecting to the external router,
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by ecomcity
    Establish the connection without hooking up the router... just the cable modem. Run ipconfig to verify broadband connection settings and also look at details under the control panel "network" settings. If everything is stable then hook up through the external router after hitting the reset button on the router on power up. The router should pick up the windows IP settings and disburse/broadcast them to anything connecting to the external router,
    Thanks this is what I eventually started doing...but the thing is the settings don't stay.

Eventually the net stops working on the wired and wireless computers and I have to do it all over again. I'm talking 2 or 3 times per day...

And @ wyvern I didn't think all of that was necessary but similar directions were on the linksys website for getting it to work with Comcast. I don't get it.

I've had lots of connection problems with Comcast too, but it might be related to the router. The connection will be find on my laptop, but repeatedly drop on my desktop - both wireless connections.

I tied changing the channel in my router settings, and that seemed to improve it drastically, so give that a shot. Keep tying until you get the right one because some channels will interfere with other devices (cell phones, etc.)

Well I kind of got it to where it doesn't need to be reset several times per day, but it's still more than I'd like (maybe once a day).

However it doesn't work with one of my computers but I figured out if I disable the security then it does. That is a problem with the router because I see others have that same issue if I google it.

So it's confusing and I'll be getting FIOS when it comes to the area....I think.

Tracking202
    I hope you have problem with what you are dealing about.And my suggestion is if your in an idea in promoting the website,i heard the tracking202.com works well.

Anybody have a translation for the above post? All I can figure out is is blah blah blah spam blah blah.

ProWeb, what kind of settings do you have to enter? Most setups simply use DHCP, and the network is auto-configured. I've never used Comcast though.

You may have a bum router. When they start to go, needing power-cycling daily is a common symptom.
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Drastic
    Anybody have a translation for the above post? All I can figure out is is blah blah blah spam blah blah.
    Translation: visit my site that I'm not supposed to post (so I made it unlinked text only). Reported...

X

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread