Vitamins for your DNA
    What do you guys think of the idea of vitamins personalized for your body through dna test? They test your dna for 177,000 possible ingredient combinations, put what your body needs, and sends it to you. I personally thought it was the coolest thing i have heard in a while. You?

Nobody is going to test my DNA and get that info for resale to sell me some pills I can get at GNC. That's just asinine!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

But they send you a list of what your lacking so you know what you need for around the same price as what people pay who take vitamins. Most people take what they dont need or too much which is bad for you. As a personal trainer and nutritionist I think its a great idea.

I'm not a scientist, but I thought dna was hereditary, CSI stuff.

So if I am lacking a certain vitamin, say due to bad diet, smoking, medications, not getting enough sun, how is my dna going to show that?

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    Posted by simcat:
    So if I am lacking a certain vitamin, say due to bad diet, smoking, medications, not getting enough sun, how is my dna going to show that?
    It won't! The whole thing sounds like a scam. Might as well be offering new age crystals solutions or whatever.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

I have the Brooklyn Bridge for sale.

Anyone here that wants to buy it let me know.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Quote Originally Posted by simcat
    I'm not a scientist, but I thought dna was hereditary, CSI stuff.

I am also not a scientist.
    I think the gist of this is that we can look at ones dna and see if someone is more likely to have a specific medical issue. Then the person could make changes to their diet including taking specific vitamins to help avoid whatever specific illness.

IMHO the problem is we don't know enough about dna yet for this to really work. Within 50 years? maybe. At some point down the road (not in this human's lifetime) I can see dna profiling becoming the norm. But there is a whole lot of privacy issues that will need to be flushed out before it happens, if ever.

DM

Exactly you are not scientists..if i could post the companys site without being banned i would..they have been on all the major news channels in the last couple of months and the studys come from well respected doctors and university's. Ill give it a try for the same price i take all this other shit.

Easy Jay and DM ... I get an itchy finger every time I pass by this thread.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

No Longer Banned!
    Wink DNA Testing Hit The Wall ?....
    Quote Originally Posted by JayRed816
    What do you guys think of the idea of vitamins personalized for your body through dna test? They test your dna for 177,000 possible ingredient combinations, put what your body needs, and sends it to you. I personally thought it was the coolest thing i have heard in a while. You?
    Jay

The application has rather enormous potential indeed. It is still in its infancy and will someday have the potential to be big biz.

DNA profiling will be just around the corner. It is inevitable. Every time you get a blood test or have a tooth worked on, people can collect your DNA w/o you even knowing it. There is literally nothing stopping a government or some crack pot from collecting it. Laws have never been a barrier to anything. When you spit, you donate DNA rather freely I might add. Thats a legal issue.

DNA while hereditary, is affected by the things you do, your diet etc. You in turn pass this on to your kids. This works exactly the same as your behaviour.

While I am not in any way sceptical of the application, it has enormous control issues that will in fact be a part of every day life at some point.

While Haiko can in fact get these vitamins at GNC, there is no way in hell he can really ever know what is missing with out a test. Its like programming a web site w/o a screen. So this is only partially correct.

Here's the thing though that he may not have thought of: Once you let your DNA out of your immediate control, what happens to it. If these guys split it up and sold it, how would anyone{Haiko included} ever really know ?. There are so many apps for DNA that are invisible, like growing new limbs etc. that would never be known to the donor.

DNA is a lot like spam. If you think about it, a person like Haiko can innocently send a mail to a legitimate source, and the guy sells it and before you know it you are getting 2500 spams per week from 35 different sources. None of whom you know and all the while the process is completely invisible and uncontrollable by the the donor.

Haiko is unwittingly doing the right thing it seems by protecting his property ~ His DNA. In the next 20 years DNA will become the next giant leap forward in Identity Theft. He is right in treating his DNA like a Domain Name...

Good call Haiko !

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; August 4th, 2008 at 10:11 AM. Reason: Texas Syntax Error. ~ So a SynTEX Error then ?.....Wheres Beachy At ?...
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread