ABW Ambassador
    Anyone have any thoughts on the types of internet users that would not even bother to download any free file sharing software or cash back type bar on their systems ?

I would like to think (or hope) that there is still a large percentage of upper middle class and wealthier users that couldn't be bothered .

Just wondering, if any affiliates out there selling luxury products has noticed the same "drop" in sales due to scumware since last year , or if they were not too badly affected .

Lisa I'm tempted to agree but there are other factors to consider.

Such as How long will it be before you go to bestbuy and buy a new pc already with scumware installed in the o.s?

Also you mentioned middle class don't bother with it types but you didn't consider these people have teenage children who also use the pc or friends who tell them by trusted word of mouth that they should get such and such.

ABW Ambassador
    Excellent question Lisa....

What I have seen lately however is that some of my friends - those who fit into the category mentioned - have sons and daughters who definitely want to download those programs so that they can get the music and other files that appeal to their generation.

Further, they have no clue as to what else is being loaded onto their systems.

Obstinatedon

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Mahatma Gandhi

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Also you mentioned middle class don't bother with it types but you didn't consider these people have teenage children who also use the pc or friends who tell them by trusted word of mouth that they should get such and such. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, you're right . It did cross my mind, but i'm thinking ... bored rich housewives with infants to toddlers ... what do they search for online while the nanny is busy with the kids ???

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> bored rich housewives with infants to toddlers ... what do they search for online while the nanny is busy with the kids ??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    Untethered males~! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Around 40% of regular internet home users has p2p installed. [added: the majority of workplaces has blocked p2p]

70%-80% of those p2p appz has spyware - that leaves us with 28%-32% users with dangerous appz

25% of users removes the spyware or uses an alternative like KazaaLite - that leaves us with 21%-24% users with dangerous appz

Remove: outdated or blocked spyware clients

Add: other parasiteware, like surf&win software

-- Less is more --

[This message was edited by Cellophane on October 15, 2002 at 09:29 PM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Lisa:
    I would like to think (or hope) that there is still a large percentage of upper middle class and wealthier users that couldn't be bothered .
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So what we po' folk do doesn't matter?

No, I guess not.

ABW Ambassador
    jaybat - No, not at all . I was just trying to gain a perspective on the "big picture" with scumware ,and for a change , look at who is NOT affected , as opposed to who is .

I was attempting to gain some insight to see if affiliates active in sales of luxury products are not noticing the same drop in sales (with regular traffic patterns ) since scumware came along onto the scene, as so many others are noticing .

As far as the "po' folk " as you call them go, of course they matter , and that really is the most important group, because they do makeup the general online population . I'm guessing that by "po' folk" , you mean the average working class family with varying income brackets and not "poverty level" users .

If no one volunteers a reply to the question , I think I might just have my answer .

another year has gone by....

how much have YOU lost?

two years and counting.... nothing much has changed... commissions stolen daily... billions of impressions served...

ABW Ambassador
    I think all affiliates should have a place on their site for their visitors to get their computer clean, as a service, like a car wash. Getting unwanted pop-ups? Just click here to get your computer clean.
    I'm ready to put that on my site when and if something like that ever comes about. Theres got to be an affiliate out there that knows some programming or something and then distribute it out to everybody.

And BigTop i agree with you on the technology fighting technology. I'll all for that.

"The successful man is the average man, focused."

thanks

we are almost done with the program.

the only issues we are dealing with is the distribution.

we intend to offer it for free, with NO ads, but we are concerned that this will be abused!

if anyone knows how we can get around that....

two years and counting.... nothing much has changed... commissions stolen daily... billions of impressions served...

ABW Ambassador
    We should get a new thread started and brainstorm this. Sending screenshots and videos to Networks aint doing the trick. Networks will never drop affiliates that drive sales. All the shopping ap affilates could start today overwriting everything and nothing will happen. Have to brainstorm new ideas. Right now i frame my affiliate links, so i'm not getting popped off of but i'm always looking for something new. Start the thread Monday tho, i'm going outside to get some fresh air, grill something and go roll around in the leaves. One of the benefits of affil marketing is the freedom but it seems most of us don't take advantage of it.

[This message was edited by BigTop on September 27, 2003 at 05:24 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think all affiliates should have a place on their site for their visitors to get their computer clean, as a service, like a car wash. Getting unwanted pop-ups? Just click here to get your computer clean.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I use a link to doxdesk on one of my sites and adding as I update the site. I have yet to hear from anyone saying anything or thanking me for warning them about this problem.
    The java script he provides can cause some problems in page load times on occasion so I moved away from that to the warning sentance on the top fold of site instead.
    I use almost the exact wording.
    I am stumped on best wording to have a one or two short sentance notice on my site without it looking like just another ad or as a method used by some to generate clicks rather than my attempts to have their computers scanned or cleaned of spyware.

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>thanks

we are almost done with the program.

the only issues we are dealing with is the distribution.

we intend to offer it for free, with NO ads, but we are concerned that this will be abused!

if anyone knows how we can get around that....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm getting more confused by the minute with your posts.

One minute "who cares about users infected with parasites", the next "you love your coustomers but you don't deal with parasitic merchants at all", and now you're wondering how to distribute a program that is evidently a parisite cleaning service and wanting to know how to get around abuses? Whats Next? Let me guess - You're going to DisneyWorld?

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by happypoon:
    One minute "who cares about users infected with parasites", the next "you love your coustomers but you don't deal with parasitic merchants at all", and now you're wondering how to distribute a program that is evidently a parisite cleaning service and wanting to know how to get around abuses? Whats Next? Let me guess - You're going to DisneyWorld?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. YOU were the one who said you wouldnt block infected customers. i said who cares.

2. I do not have ANY parasites at all on my sites, i do not use linkshare nor cj and only ONE befree merchant (ebay)

3. I doubt you haev ANY idea what my program really does, but as far as the distribution vs abuse issue, i can see a bunch of idiots trying to capitalize off it and likely either attempting to bundle it with crap, require ppl to co-reg to get the download or just outright trying to SELL it! THATS the kind of abuse IM concerned about.

4. sorry that it caused you such a great deal of confusion. i can understand completely...

5. NO it isnt a "parasite cleaning service" doesnt the world have enough of those already? sheesh!

6. YOU trying to pretend that IM the enemy is pretty generous of you. ill keep that in mind

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>6. YOU trying to pretend that IM the enemy is pretty generous of you. ill keep that in mind<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL - I've never called you the enemy. I see some posts where you have very valid complaints and then I see you you take a 180 in your stance and then I've also seen you just try and be a complete spoiler "who makes absolutely no sense" and pretend to not even speak english.

I'm just trying to figure out where you really stand but your posts and interactions here have me at a complete loss on really being able to tell. This confuses me and I sure don't mind telling you.

If you want me to take you seriously then you might think this point over.

PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>or just outright trying to SELL it! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, you make like selling stuff is bad!

It is a beautiful thing, to do nothing, and then rest afterwards.~Spanish Proverb

While it's a good question, trying target people with clean computers should never be our defense against parasiteware.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by happypoon:
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>6. YOU trying to pretend that IM the enemy is pretty generous of you. ill keep that in mind<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL - I've never called you the enemy. I see some posts where you have very valid complaints and then I see you you take a 180 in your stance and then I've also seen you just try and be a complete spoiler "who makes absolutely no sense" and pretend to not even speak english.

I'm just trying to figure out where you really stand but your posts and interactions here have me at a complete loss on really being able to tell. This confuses me and I sure don't mind telling you.

If you want me to take you seriously then you might think this point over.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ya know, i was going to post something long and drawn out, but i changed my mind...

let me just wrap this up by asking you... are you still using cj? are you still part of their network? because if so, you and i have nothing to argue about.

clearly im not here to "impress" you or keep you from being confused. that would be too difficult, apparently.

ps if there is ANYONE here who doesnt know where ive stood for the past several years, well, i dont know what to tell you.

21. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread