Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    WordPress v2.6 Available
    Just noticed it this morning.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Are you serious? They really need to stop....

I'm all for improvements but the frequency is a bit heavy.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It was just released this morning :-)

Expect 2.6.1 in 3-4 weeks. Remember that some plugin writers will need a couple weeks to fix incompatibilities.

If you want a CMS that is slow to improve, try Joomla. They seem to take forever to release updates.

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Cool, but great, after I just finished doing a brand new/download install yesterday with 2.5.1 for soflavoice.org

So far looks good too. I still have 2.3.3 for jrami.com and another site and have had no issues with either.

What are the major differences for 2.6.1?

I saw it this morning too. I will wait before I update just in case the plugins I have will give me errors or go kaput.

I recently upgraded all of my blogs to 2.5.1 due to a large number of hacks being reported for older versions. I really like 2.5.1.

Ever new release tends to have a lot of bugs. I will also wait for 2.6.1.

2.6 is supposed to be super secure. It will be interesting to see how long it will take before it is hacked.
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Bug and security fixes. Ever since I started using Wordpress I've seen that about a month after version X.X is released there is a X.X.Y

Don't forget to use the Wordpress Automatic Upgrade plugin that I recommended way back when WordPress 2.5 was released.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge - JRami
    Cool, but great, after I just finished doing a brand new/download install yesterday with 2.5.1 for soflavoice.org

So far looks good too. I still have 2.3.3 for jrami.com and another site and have had no issues with either.

What are the major differences for 2.6.1?

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant

If you want a CMS that is slow to improve, try Joomla. They seem to take forever to release updates.
    I don't really like Joomla.

I'm still on 2.3 with some of my blogs because the plugins I need don't work with 2.5 so I just wish they'd give people a chance to catch up.

That's one reason the guy said he's stopping work on the SK2 plugin and making it GPL . Not as if he updated it frequently anyway but he did mention how annoying it can be to keep having to update.

Its retarded upgrade rate makes it nearly impossible to keep up, in turn making it a constant security threat on my servers. And each time I finally cave in and install one of those “mandatory security upgrade”, it also installs 600 Ko of other theme compatibility-breaking fluffy crap that I never asked for in the first place. Usually setting the ground for the next cycle of security-exploit-rushed-upgrade. To sum up, it’s become incredibly bloated and tedious to support. Replacing it on my own servers is very high on my list of things to do (which means somewhat in the first 1000 items).

Question... if I've got the auto upgrade tool (and I do), but my host installs Wordpress with a one-click installer, will it screw things up if I run the upgrade from the auto update tool? Has anyone tried that?
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

if you use the plugin, there is no reason to use the cpanel/fanstastico update.

Of course - but what I mean is, will my upgrade via the plugin be reported to the host's interface? What I'm envisioning is a problem down the road where the auto upgrade plugin stops working for some reason. If the host doesn't "know" that I've upgraded a bunch of times, if they still think I'm on 2.5 when I'm actually on 2.9, that will cause problems. If I stop using the host's upgrade tool and instead use the plugin, and the plugin stops working... what then? Will I have to do manual upgrades from that point forward?

I feel like I may not be explaining myself well. Do you follow?
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I don't think that plugin interacts with fantastico or other scripts, so I suppose that you need to consider that as a potential issue.

Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    Of course - but what I mean is, will my upgrade via the plugin be reported to the host's interface? What I'm envisioning is a problem down the road where the auto upgrade plugin stops working for some reason. If the host doesn't "know" that I've upgraded a bunch of times, if they still think I'm on 2.5 when I'm actually on 2.9, that will cause problems. If I stop using the host's upgrade tool and instead use the plugin, and the plugin stops working... what then? Will I have to do manual upgrades from that point forward?

I feel like I may not be explaining myself well. Do you follow?

Thanks, LD
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

I just found some pharm spam injected into some posts on my main WP site.

I upgraded to the newest version (at the time at least) about a month ago. But have no idea if the hack was from several versions ago or new.

Just starting to research this and came upon this article:

Wordpress Security Issues Lead To Mass Hacking. Is Your Blog Next?

Most of the the new sites I have put up in the last few years have been WP, but with all the hacking and constant version changes, I think I have to put a stop to them now.

Plus, with all the different themes and plug-ins out there, along with the built-in vulnerablilites...how is anybody supposed to believe their site is really secure?

you will have security issues on a website WordPress or not. Just keep up with the security patches.

If you are worried about plugins compromising your security, don't install them.

Also don't forget to set proper permissions on your server. I don't know what your comment has to do with the release of wordpress 2.6 though. The post you referred to is from June and 2.6 was JUST released.

I think the hack articles are important for awareness. It prompts people to update their blogs to the most current versions to fix the vulnerabilities.

The problem is that most of the hack articles never tell you how to determine if your blog has been compromised. I suspect it has to do with issues related to permissions. Personally, I would never consider setting permissions for any files or directories to 777, as is recommended by several plugins and sometimes by WordPress.

My blogs have never been compromised.

Here is a good article from WordPress about securing WordPress

Hardening WordPress
    There's good, fast and cheap. Pick any two.
    [url=http://www.topranksolutions.com]Phoenix SEO[/url] :: [url=http://www.tech-evangelist.com/category/affiliate-marketing/]Affiliate Marketing Tutorials[/url]

Outsourced Program Manager Jorge - SHOPiMAR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    setting permissions for any files or directories to 777, as is recommended by several plugins and sometimes by WordPress
    They actually do that, recommend that, crazy. That is why I do not trust all plugins and even auto fantastico setups, never know what's in them and opened to the world to hack away.

http and a telephoto
    Link to a plug in that can check and see if your blog has been hacked:

WordPress Exploit Scanner

Scans your WordPress site for possible exploits By Donncha O Caoimh.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Evangelist
    I have been actually going through that page recently and getting all my permissions firmed up. My host actually recommends 775 permissions.

My one problem unrelated to WP or security is that Google seem to be overzelous in indexing my /wp-content/ folder no matter what I do. I have the folder disallowed in my robots.txt and tried to do a remove url in my Google Webmaster Tools but it is still there with all the plugins folders indexed.

Any one have any ideas?

I decided to 'upgrade' last night....it broke my blog....have been basically spending 10 hours trying to repair it. Trying to revert to a previous backup produced database errors.

Finally found the problem online, 2.6 has a bug if you use index.php in your permalinks. I needed to use that structure starting years ago, don't really remember why now...

Anyway the fix seems pretty simple. If you have htaccess rules relating to index.php, might need to take a look at those too.

http://www.fscked.co.uk/index.php/20...my-permalinks/
    http://wordpress.org/support/topic/189058

I tried the WP-Security-Scan plugin available from wordpress.org
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-security-scan/
    and would recommend it.

It shows your file permissions at a glance (and which ones need to be changed), along with other simple things you need to do to increase security.

It recommends I change my table prefixes to something besides WP. Not that eager to jump into that right now tho.

http and a telephoto
    If it wants you to change the table prefixes, then like other install programs, it needs to make that an option when installing. I am pretty sure 99% of the people that install WordPress have *zero* clue how to change them without causing major breakage. Even with instructions...
    Deborah Carney

I have four major sites that are on Wordpress, and a dozen minor sites (i.e. sites I haven't put any content into or are still in progress). I upgraded all my minor sites really quickly because there's not much to them. Of my four major sites, I did the first last night.

It went off without a hitch. *whew*

Then I installed the security plugin that simcat mentioned - very, very cool plugin. It recommended that I change the admin username, which would involve going into phpMyAdmin and messing with the tables. Well, forget that, I thought - I'll just create another administrator and delete the "admin" account. In doing that, all the posts written by "admin" can be transferred to the new username. Simple, and it worked like a charm.

The other thing it mentioned was changing the table prefixes. That was a little more complicated. I'm comfortable just trying stuff out, so I figured out how to back up my sql, then followed the instructions for editing the backup file (after I backed up the backup ), dropping the tables, and importing the edited backup. Then I edited the config file to change the table prefix, and blamm-o: done. Worked perfectly. I'll be doing my other three major sites tonight.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Anybody else having trouble getting the automatic plugin update function to work with WordPress 2.6?

I have a couple of plugins that it simply would not complete the auto update on and I had to download the plugin, unzip it, upload it to my server, then activate it.

Got spoiled by that automatic plugin update function that started in 2.5. Hope it isn't an issue with 2.6, but some plugins it will update automatically, others it fails.

Or is it just a problem I'm having??
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    writerguy, I have a couple plugins that won't upgrade either and it ended up deleting them. This was in 2.5.1 before I do the upgrade to 2.6. The permalink issue has me a little concerned about upgrading quite yet.
    Deborah Carney

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast