ABW Ambassador
    Merchants that Send Weird Links
    I don't like the way a few affiliate managers send their links. One thing I really like about CJ is how they keep the links clean, short and compliant with the w3. But there is always some merchants who decide they can do thinks better and start messing with the links and add extra tags and annoying characters to the link probably for their own spam database or something that marketers use. Here is an example:

Code:
    http://www.************/click-mypidhere-10561871?cm_mmc=CJ-_--1-_-%3cpid%3e-_-Geeks.com_FREE_shipping_ends_7-21-08
    Now if I just delete all the bits at the end and use this:

Code:
    http://www.************/click-mypidhere-10561871
    edit: the forum messes with the url but the stars * just replace something like "whatever.net"

Will I still get my commission tracked?

--
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

If any links look the least bit odd or fishy to me, I go get them from the network.

CJ is not too bad, LS is just hopeless though, almost none of their email links ever work for me, even though they put the link in a [form] which shouldn't alter the link.

ABW Ambassador
    Yes LS links can get broken up in emails, they are very poorly designed and I have had various issues in the past.

With the example above, does anyone know if I delete all the extra characters at the end to look like this
    Code:
    http://www.************/click-mypidhere-10561871
    then will that still be tracked?
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

The cm_mmc=CJ-_--1-_-%3cpid%3e-_-Geeks.com_FREE_shipping_ends_7-21-08

in the URL is just an internal tracking, I guess they are trying to see what is working for them.

Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    I don't like the way a few affiliate managers send their links. One thing I really like about CJ is how they keep the links clean, short and compliant with the w3. But there is always some merchants who decide they can do thinks better and start messing with the links and add extra tags and annoying characters to the link probably for their own spam database or something that marketers use.
    How is the second example not compliant with standards? It URL encoded symbols that it passes on, which is correct. Why do you think that these characters are "annoying" and "probably for their own spam database"? Sounds like you're a bit worked up about a simple tracking link.

We can't answer whether this will track properly or not. You'll have to contact the merchant. This could be something related to setting an additional coupon or offer cookie for the user on the advertiser's site, so I'm not sure what will happen.

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread