Affiliate Manager
    Csv To Rss Feeds
    Has anyone used the software from datafeedtorss {dotcom}??? It is a software that takes affiliate data feeds and makes them into RSS 2.0. Has anyone used it and Is this a useful thing to use?? I don't want to get it and it be a pile of junk.

Hi I've written a PHP script that you can have.

If you can email me the format of your csv file I can send you a link to download the script.

Regards Bob

Csv To Rss Feeds
    Hi,

I read your post on the csv to php script. I was hoping you might be kind enough to email it to me?

I am new to php. Thanks!

Mike@FineDesignz.com

I am surprised they dont make the RSS feeds better on affiliate sites to be honest. SO many of us use them. Whatever site I am on though, they dont utilise this growing use properly so I have to get datafeeds that are pretty useless for my type of site. RSS feeds on the other hand would save a ton of time and mean I can get more done.

Affiliate Manager
    How specifically would you use RSS feeds on your site?

I would have added CSV-to-RSS capabilities to WebMerge years ago, but I haven't been able to find anyone who can explain the benefit of turning a 10,000-product feed into an RSS file.

Looking forward to learning....
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld

I would have added CSV-to-RSS capabilities to WebMerge years ago, but I haven't been able to find anyone who can explain the benefit of turning a 10,000-product feed into an RSS file.

Years ago?

Well................... Since you ask!

I don't know for sure if back then, I would have been able to use that feature, but now I wish it was available back then, at least I know I may have tried and maybe I could be a litte happier now, or maybe not...

Let me explain what I mean...

Back on 03' when I was new to datafeeds, WebMerge was my first and only datafeed tool for this business, so I was forced to learn how to use it, and to be able use it my way...

A couple of years later, even while still using WebMerge for most of my datafeeds, I started learning about PHP and MySQL. Once I get the hang of it, I started making new sites with PHP, instead of with WebMerge, not because I don't use WebMerge, because I still like and use WebMerge, but when it comes to updating thousands of products on the server, I rather do it in seconds instead of minutes or hours, because with WebMerge we can't update soo many pages that fast and have them live as quick as with PHP and MySQL.

About the "who can explain the benefit of turning a 10,000-product feed into an RSS file", I may not be able to explain exactly what I think would be just one benefit, but I would try my best to do so...

Example:

On SAS, a couple of coupons feed, comes as an .xml file, and some people use an RSS reader, to get those coupons for their websites, also there can be over one thousand product deals on that feed.

On SAS, the product datafeeds come as a PIPE delimited CSV file, so people that are already using an RSS reader to get the coupon links, maybe they also want to get the products links from a merchant datafeed with an RSS reader, if they were able to convert a CSV-to-RSS,too. And btw, there are many merchant datafeeds with much less than one thousand products on it, so the size of the feed may not be that big of a deal with neither.

Disclaimer: I don't even know how I was able to try to explain that benefit, so if anyone get more confused than me, reading that example I just wrote, ask those that need that feature to explain it better.

http and a telephoto

With all the plugins that can turn RSS into posts people using wordpress blogs would be able to create posts from listings that include product data that are managed through their wordpress templates, which would have infinitely better navigation and easier customization if they had RSS instead of CSV files available. RSS has come a long way in the past few years and there are many ways that it can be used by even non-techie affiliates now, when even a year ago they wouldn't have thought about it.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It is easy to take RSS and turn entries into posts and articles or use RSS entries like "banner" ads formatting their content to the banner space, etc. You're only limited by creativity. I think we even exchanged PMs a few months ago when I was looking for a CSV to RSS tool.

Avantlink and Popshops have started making RSS tools but they limit you to about 100 items per feed at least it was like that the last time I checked.

Thankfully it isn't too hard to make a database to RSS PHP script and then call that (assuming that the CSV was imported to mysql)

I really am hampered by a lack of coding knowledge and I use RSS whenever I can. To havbe an RSS feed would be the answer to my prayers. I run an RSS feed FROM one of my sites (well most of them actually but this one for the purpose I am about to explain) and I can set the amount of releases per update. So if I was a store, I could set it for 50 at a time. That way the affilaite gets 50 new products on their site at a time only.

Also being the affiliate, it means that, especially on a Wordpress settup, I can have new posts daily with new products on them... AWESOME! Gimme someone PLEASE!

Affiliate Manager
    Of the CS sources you'd like turned into RSS, how much variance is there with the field names and/or corresponding column positions?

And what is the number of items you want to output?
    If not the whole feed, how do you select which items you want included in the RSS file?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

http and a telephoto
    Of the CS sources you'd like turned into RSS, how much variance is there with the field names and/or corresponding column positions?
    It depends. Flexibility is key, just like it is with WebMerge.
    And what is the number of items you want to output?
    If not the whole feed, how do you select which items you want included in the RSS file?
    That is the million dollar question. It is one of the reasons PopShops and WishAds exist, they allow searching feeds by keywords to pull out what you want displayed.

Some kind of search that allows narrowing by category, keywords or other specific columns is necessary. Or some system of flagging what you want to include. Obviously one way to manage this is by manipulating the feed itself, but I think we would like more automation than that.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Personally I would like an image, title, description and price. Thats all I need and all most people would need for a Wordpress type scenario. Obviously there may be people that require more for a different setup.

A couple of places I use do great RSS feeds for my own art... when I put on a piece, it makes a post on my site. THATS what I would like from my affiliate programme, I pop in a category and it gives me a feed with so many posts a time.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread