Affiliate Manager
    What can I do better?!?!
    So I have had my program up and running officially for about a month....I have 91 affiliates signed up....most of which seem to be coupon sites....I have had a total of 3 sales on 108 visitors for a total sales amount of $323.....

I am not sure what I can do to motivate coupon sites to put me in a better position.....and HOW in the world can I get affiliates that actually populate stores with products....I do not think I have any of those signed on yet...

I have been reading this forum for almost 2 months and have learned a ton and feel pretty good about the direction the program is going in...but with the holidays coming on us fast I want to get the exposure....

I am trying to be more active on the boards....but it takes time to "learn the lingo" to be able to participate!!!

Any tips on how to entice the store affiliates to offer my products/services?! I feel my commissions are pretty competitive and I have been trying to offer incentives....I am listed on as many affiliate directories as i think I can be....and did do a paid advertisement here...

Can anyone offer any insight for a newbie.....the store is growing...our conversions are consistently going up and with the holidays coming I know we can offer some great commissions....just need the chance!

Thanks everyone!

I'll upload your products data feed from SAS on my site .

Also I regularly upload SAS deal database, if your coupons are in that database they will be automatically added to my site.

Are you on PopShops or GoldenCan yet? They'll get you lots of new content affiliates if it isn't something about your program in general that's keeping folks away. Another help is to announce your program "officiallly" with a New Program Announcement Ad here on ABW (paid ad). That can spark interest from people who don't look up the new merchants list every day, and can start some back and forth buzz to help improve your program. Some verticals are just saturated and it can take months to get going.

Hi Jill,

I don't know if you've done this, but perhaps your affiliates (or others who aren't in your program) don't know all the different items that you offer. Perhaps send your affiliates tips on which of your products are hot sellers, which ones convert well etc. Do you have a daily deals page, free shipping, holiday deals, etc.?.... These are often things I've found affiliates are interested in. If you have great content and items, perhaps highlighting it will help affiliates know how/what to promote you.

It sounds like you have your own internal network and are not working with the networks out there, but if you are, ask you account manager about ways you can expose your site better.

Remember too that a month is still a short period and your affiliates may just not have had time to activate their links yet... patience is the key and make sure you're easily accessible when affiliates have questions (as I've learned from multiple people on this forum)

I hope that helps!
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks everyone.....I am listed here in the paid ad section....that was the first thing i did!

Contacting affiliates in my program is something i am unsure of. I have sent out a couple of newsletters with my new coupons and deals, but never though to outline hot products..that is a GREAT tip!!!!!! I will have to do that next time.

Another questions I guess would be how much is too much to email affiliates? I am ALWAYS available to them...and hope they know that....but I do not want to badger them with details either.....

...this has been such a great learning experience.....and I know I have a ton more to learn...so thank you for you input....

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    1. Being on popshops/golden can will help but I've mentioned that before.

2. Being patient will help too as not every affiliate is a PPC/high traffic coupon affiliate or has an immediate spot for your products. Like I've mentioned in other threads if I sign up today I might not promote you for 3-4 months because I have a schedule. Add in the fact that I do SEO only (and no PPC) you can expect to wait another 1-2 months after I finish to begin to get sales. That's about a 6 month wait for an affiliate like me unless I have an immediate opening on a high converting site.

Some merchants get impatient and want to start dropping affiliates like that- ok, it's their loss.

Please understand there are different affiliate models and this isn't a "quick sales" game in all cases. Besides, even if all 91 of your affiliates put up a link today that doesn't necessarily mean you'll get sales, there's more to it than that.

Besides, this is July; not November.

I tend only to email affiliates when I have something important to tell them -- when there's a deal going on, a promotion, new tools for them etc. It's very likely that they are getting tons of emails each day so you definitely don't want to bug them with irrelevant details.

On average I send about an email a month max. sometimes I don't send one out for a couple months. It all depends on what's going on in our program. I don't know if that's too much or too little, but I haven't received any angry email so far.

A lot of this will be experimenting what works for you, but it sounds like you're up for it.

Edited to include: ProWebAddict has some really good points there too.
    Heather Boulding
    Affiliate Manager, AbeBooks.com
    hboulding{at} abebooks.com
    [t] 250.412.3247
    [URL=http://www.abebooks.com/docs/AffiliateProgram]AbeBooks Affiliate Program[/URL]

Affiliate Manager
    :-)

That is what I needed....I am not clear on all the variety of affiliates out there, so I just needed to hear about the SEO side of things and the PPC.....I actually forgot to take into consideration that these things take time...

...I am not really being impatient and I don't want it to look that way I know this is a long term commitment....I just want to make sure I am maximizing my opportunities....and I would NEVER drop an affiliate for non performance...it is not hurting me by having them so I would not take that risk....

...Since I am not familiar with an affiliates side of things it is hard to know how ti works from YOUR end....it is nice to know that you have a whole plan in place and work at it accordingly....i bought a book online about being an affiliate marketer so I hope that will help me also...

Thanks ProWeb...your post helped....

i bought a book online about being an affiliate marketer so I hope that will help me also...
    I hope it was Geno's book

Certified Affiliate Manager sunshiner's Avatar
    Hi. I'm not familiar with your store yet, I need to look into it. We tend to really push our new merchants and invite them to participate in video blogs and our forum contests which are a big hit with our members. We especially like the smaller merchants as they want to work with us a lot better then the big names. Glad you are here, this is a good place to start.

Affiliate Manager
    I hope it was Geno's book
    You know it, now I just need to find the time to sit and absorb it!

Thanks for all the great responses....it makes me feel a lot better about the future.....

...one last questions though....would it be acceptable to actually contact an affiliate and introduce myself and my products/services? There are a few sites I would love to be a merchant on, but am not sure if it is politically correct to contact them directly?

Thanks so much!!!!

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread