ABW Ambassador
    Question $1200 iPhones???
    Stuck on hold, Russians and Chinese prize unlocked iPhones as status symbols

MOSCOW (AP) -- In the Soviet days, Russians asked their American friends to bring blue jeans, rock records and other Western goods into the country. Today Russians can buy almost anything they want here -- but they are still begging for one item: Apple Inc.'s slick iPhone.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080718/black...t_iphones.html

M., I posted on this two months ago, and no one seemed to notice. It can be turned into a good business!! Not only Russians are desperately looking for them. The Germans, the French, and other Europeans do too.

G.

Russian Web sites were offering the new 3G iPhone for about $1,200, six times the $199 base price in the U.S...
    What could one expect from a country where people "demand" Maybachs and Porsche Cayennes for taxis [source; picture attached]?

Geno
    Attached Images Attached Images

If eBay had this policy in place already, I imagine that there would be a lot more international sales of iPhones and other items.

-sfcom

Monday, August 25, 2008; 7:35 AM

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Apple (AAPL.O) expects to sell 3.5 million iPhones in Russia in the next two years, according to market sources familiar with new deals being struck by Russian carriers...

Carriers are expected to buy the iPhone from Apple for $399 and sell for 24,000 roubles ($990), Murtazin said, well below the price at which the gadget is currently offered by unauthorized dealers, but above a minimum price at which the iPhone can be bought abroad.
    [source: Washington Post, bold font mine]

Outsourced Program Manager Ronald Marva - SEOP's Avatar
    Scheduling of iPhone distribution as per country specifics had opened the door for black market. Last month, I was in Cambodia and there went a lot of iPhones on sale which I took for granted. Then, I went to Philippines and Malaysia - I was surprised with the demand there for iPhone and how much persons are willing to pay.

If only I read this thread sooner, I could have made some easy bucks.

Its not a bad business...but the margins aren't exactly what ya think We pay 199 in the US but only with a two year contract to AT&T....to get out of this contract you pay another $150 in cancellation fees plus you pay for the first month of service which i think is a minimum of $60....so that brings you up to $410 for the 8gb and $510 for 16gb

Still can make some money with it...but its a pain to sign up and cancel..

They need to be GSM unlocked too, Big D.

G.

Yep, but thats the easy part...doesn't cost a penny

Looks like you don't have to go through the signing-and-terminating contracts, but can just buy them unlocked in the 500-650 price range.

Geno

Thats true...you could do it that way i guess

The problem (for Russians) is that none of these merchants will ship to Russia. That's why they are happy to overpay.

G.

silly merchants

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    silly merchants
    As a former owner of RussianLegacy.com I disagree. It is often not worth the headache... The best option would be to have a stock in Russia, and a Russia-based online store (in Russian e-commerce many still practice COD as a payment method) undercutting the market prices.

Geno

It may be better to have stock in Russia, but its certainly not a headache to ship stuff to Russia via FedEx. If it really costs almost 1k in Russia, they can easily overcharge $100 in shipping and still undercut the market price in Russia. The bigger headache would be to establish a warehouse in Russia and online site catering to Russia...

The headache is not about shipping to Russia, but about processing Russian-bank-issued credit cards (no AVS checks available, international legislation differences, etc).

Geno

Ah i see, i was assuming they would use Paypal...is that not accepted in Russia???

Quote Originally Posted by Big D
    Ah i see, i was assuming they would use Paypal...is that not accepted in Russia???
    I think PayPal does accept Russian residents. So technically, it is possible. In reality e-commerce in Russia is at such a stage where not only merchants prefer cash-on-delivery, but so do customers (generally mistrusting any online money processing).

Geno

ah i see....well hopefully customers will see paypal as a great alternative to COD

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread