Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    No Longer Banned!
    Links To Your Site: Relevant Links.....
    Hi

I have a little notification screen that says something like :

Links to Your Site
    Relevant links can boost your search engine rankings.

Links to your site (view):

Why does this number go up and then down ?

Also can anyone explain what this means in a clearer fashion ?

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

Where are you seeing this, and what part do you needed clearer - the relevant part?
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

No Longer Banned!
    416 links is Pretty Drastic Don't you think ?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Drastic
    Where are you seeing this, and what part do you needed clearer - the relevant part?
    Say D

Its on my hosting control Panel.

You can view a screen shot at This Place

Basically, I am trying to figure out why the are up one week and down a hundered or so the next. I just gained 100+ of tyhem back ~ Plus anther like 60. Is this something I'm doing wrong ? Can I control this ?

I'm looking for insight on this. Also while you are there, will you leave me a message ? I see you can read my PM's yet.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; July 21st, 2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Requested a Pretty Drastic PM....
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

My guess (without looking) is that it's probably just counting inbound referring URLs detected in your log files, and if it uses a "rolling window" of time (such as "past week" or "past 90 days" then the number could certainly go up or down, independent of the addition or removal of any new links.

If you've engaged in some "link analysis" activity, exploring sites that link to yours, you've likely inflated the count provided by clicking on some external links to your site.

It looks like Yahoo Web Hosting uses Yahoo site explorer results for backlinks, but I don't know if it uses live data or updates periodically.

Your backlinks will change according to pages with your link being indexed (or not.) You may have some sitewide somewhere like a forum that get discounted, dropped or found and counted from the index at some point. You may also be looking during a time when the engine is updating and results aren't stable.

Some of these backlinks don't count for much, some of them are golden. If you want to pm the url in question I'll take a look.

I can PM, I'm evidently grandfathered in since I was a member before the 250 post minimum.
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

No Longer Banned!
    Roller Coaster Links. My Links Stink ?...
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    My guess (without looking) is that it's probably just counting inbound referring URLs detected in your log files, and if it uses a "rolling window" of time (such as "past week" or "past 90 days" then the number could certainly go up or down, independent of the addition or removal of any new links.

If you've engaged in some "link analysis" activity, exploring sites that link to yours, you've likely inflated the count provided by clicking on some external links to your site.
    Mark

Thanks man. That was a really big deal bro. I have only gone to their sites from Google/ Yahoo search pages and not on the server my site is hosted on. {If it Matters}.

The number oft hovers at 417 on a rolling mo to mo basis but I noticed that it has dropped to like 370 in recent mos and 327 for like a few mos. more too, then it went back up to like nearly 500 {460 I think it is now} and I rarely ever look at them. I hate ite cuz I have to sift through to see the thing and it eats up my time. So hence my question dude.

When I search the SE's search pages via SEO For Fire Fox I can see that Stevesapparel is holding under 150 Forum links and screen shots I host. Most of them are the City Of Dallas Texas, Yahoo ! Listings several small sites like me and some of my published work.

How does Yahoo ! know if the site I click on is linked to me or not ?

I had a few .edu links but they are no longer visible.

Please scope my screen shot when u get time...

Steve

No Longer Banned!
    It looks like Yahoo Web Hosting uses Yahoo site explorer results for backlinks, but I don't know if it uses live data or updates periodically.

Your backlinks will change according to pages with your link being indexed (or not.) You may have some sitewide somewhere like a forum that get discounted, dropped or found and counted from the index at some point. You may also be looking during a time when the engine is updating and results aren't stable.

Some of these backlinks don't count for much, some of them are golden. If you want to pm the url in question I'll take a look.

I can PM, I'm evidently grandfathered in since I was a member before the 250 post minimum.
    Drastic

K. I thought that over a while and It seems that for that you could type in stevesapparel.come SEO For Fire fox and then when you click Y! Links you can see what I see. I hope this is the right thing to say anyway. Esp. since this will have all the links I see show up for me. {??}

On the PM, I had a few off topic q's if you don't mind.

Steve

This doesn't have anything to do with log files, the results come from Yahoo Site Explorer.

Go to yahoo and search from link:mydomain.com. You have 447 backlinks. Now check link:www.mydomain.com and you have 756 backlinks. The tool inside Yahoo hosting uses this data.

As I suspected, most of your links are from forums and blogs, so this number fluctuates a good bit due to how many pages are indexed on those forums and blogs. The indexed pages changes with them more than other websites due to the transitional nature of their pages.

Blog posts fall off the first page and go into archives, duplicate pages get dropped, forum posts fall off into oblivion after a while, etc.

No Longer Banned!
    This doesn't have anything to do with log files, the results come from Yahoo Site Explorer.

Go to yahoo and search from link:mydomain.com. You have 447 backlinks. Now check link:www.mydomain.com and you have 756 backlinks. The tool inside Yahoo hosting uses this data.

As I suspected, most of your links are from forums and blogs, so this number fluctuates a good bit due to how many pages are indexed on those forums and blogs. The indexed pages changes with them more than other websites due to the transitional nature of their pages.

Blog posts fall off the first page and go into archives, duplicate pages get dropped, forum posts fall off into oblivion after a while, etc.

Drastic

Its now up to like 490. I have posted 1 single screen shot in 90 days. Yet it has gone up 50% at least.

NOTE: It says RELEVANT links on that screen shot I posted above. Strange that a screen shot would be counted as a RELEVANT link to my site.

Hmmm....

Steve

It has nothing to do with screenshots, it's links. Like the ones in your sig. You post more at abw = more backlinks. The more you post here the more abw backlinks you have.

The message on that SS is that RELEVANT links help you, it doesn't know if those links are relevant or not.

No Longer Banned!
    It has nothing to do with screenshots, it's links. Like the ones in your sig. You post more at abw = more backlinks. The more you post here the more abw backlinks you have.

The message on that SS is that RELEVANT links help you, it doesn't know if those links are relevant or not.
    Drastic

If you counted all my links put together, I'd have over 2000 total. Under 3000 so far.

Interesting how the SS says 490.

Steve

Links don't count unless they're on a page that is indexed by the search engine.

No Longer Banned!
    Links don't count unless they're on a page that is indexed by the search engine.
    I might have 200 tops that aren't if that matters.

Very interesting how this works indeed.

Steve .

No Longer Banned!
    Relevant Links Makes me Scream YAHOOO ! ?....
    Drastic

I found this link. I guess the 491 links {It went up one today w/0 me doing a thing} are what YAHOO ! considers legitimate as opposed to just junk then ?

Perhaps my 1700 other links are considered non relevant ? To be honest I simply want to expand my understanding of this subject.

Anyway here's what I found:

Why do I care how many sites link to mine?

In the simplest terms, search engines view a link to your web site like a vote: If another site links to yours, it must think your site is valuable. Each link to your site contributes a little bit of value in the search engine's algorithm, which can help boost your site's ranking in search results.

Now, they may be robots, but search engines do know the difference between real links and links created simply to make another site look good. (In other words, it does not pay to ask your friend to fill his web page with dozens of links to your site.) Search engines also keep a virtual eye on the relevance of the links: Does the linking site have a common theme with yours? Is it a popular site itself? Quality links make a difference.

Legitimate links to your site can also help boost traffic, for the simple reason that more potential customers are exposed to your site.

So how can you get more links to your site? See tips for getting linked, or visit the Get Linked section of your Promote tab for details.

You can see how many sites are linking to yours in the Links to Your Site module on the Home tab of your Web Hosting Control Panel. To review which sites are linking to yours, click the view link.

Hope this helps

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; July 26th, 2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Texas Spelling Spree....

The link count is links the SE has indexed. Relevancy should help your rankings if SEO is done properly.

You have more links indexed than that, check link:www.yourdomain.com at yahoo. Be sure to add www.

A link is a link is a link, as far as backlinks in general. Good solid links that are RELEVANT are better for seo.

No Longer Banned!
    The link count is links the SE has indexed. Relevancy should help your rankings if SEO is done properly.

You have more links indexed than that, check link:www.yourdomain.com at yahoo. Be sure to add www.

A link is a link is a link, as far as backlinks in general. Good solid links that are RELEVANT are better for seo.
    Drastic

Man that may be, but it don't help My Traffic at all. I could have a few thousand backlinks and it would not help traffic I don't think. It,s sure sposed to though.

Now the links went up to 500 even then back down to like 498.

My desire is to better understand how this works. What affcts this has. How to control it.

Is there anything regarding this that will hurt the rankings ? Or affect the relevancy ?

I wish to deepen my knowledge.

Steve

ABW Ambassador
    Steve, I already explained all of this to you in another thread. If you were a search engine would you give much weight to links from a sig? No. The whole idea about search engines and links are they're supposed to be sort of a vote, somebody linking to your site because it was worthy to link to. Links in your sig is just you putting a link in your sig. If it was that easy, all anybody would have to do is sign up for all kinds of forums and put their site in the sig and shoot up the SERPS. It doesn't work that way. And you know it's not working because you posted your stats on this. You said 1 sale in the last year and you said you're getting about 0 hits a day. So it's not working obviously.

First, work on your site so it's worth linking to.

Then get real links in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trust

Then get real links in.
    I agree.

The looks of you site is why you're getting no sales Steve.

Not meant to be mean Steve. Just stating the facts.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

No Longer Banned!
    If I Got Shot By The Majic Bullet, Would I fall Backward Or Just Stand Still ??....
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    Steve, I already explained all of this to you in another thread. If you were a search engine would you give much weight to links from a sig? No. The whole idea about search engines and links are they're supposed to be sort of a vote, somebody linking to your site because it was worthy to link to. Links in your sig is just you putting a link in your sig. If it was that easy, all anybody would have to do is sign up for all kinds of forums and put their site in the sig and shoot up the SERPS. It doesn't work that way. And you know it's not working because you posted your stats on this. You said 1 sale in the last year and you said you're getting about 0 hits a day. So it's not working obviously.

Then get real links in.

Trust.

The post you refer to is totally unrelated to this question here.

I will repeat the question again; WHY DOES THE TOTAL NUMBER OF RELEVANT LINKS GO WAY UP ONE DAY AND WAY DOWN THE NEXT ?? on my yahoo dash board ......

The question I asked in a different thread is: IS THERE ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP OR HARM A SITES REPUTATION IN TERMS OF LINKS ???

Thi is NOT a sig question. It is a related links/ link back question.
    If it were a sig question, or if the sigs were counted at all, I'd have roughly 3000 links showing up on my dash board not 500.

technical answers only please

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; August 1st, 2008 at 10:59 PM. Reason: typpo

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    I agree.

The looks of you site is why you're getting no sales Steve.

Not meant to be mean Steve. Just stating the facts.

BB

tnx man.

Steve

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    Trust.

The post you refer to is totally unrelated to this question here.

I will repeat the question again; WHY DOES THE TOTAL NUMBER OF RELEVANT LINKS GO WAY UP ONE DAY AND WAY DOWN THE NEXT ?? on my yahoo dash board ......

The question I asked in a different thread is: IS THERE ANYTHING THAT WILL HELP OR HARM A SITES REPUTATION IN TERMS OF LINKS ???

Thi is NOT a sig question. It is a related links/ link back question.
    If it were a sig question, or if the sigs were counted at all, I'd have roughly 3000 links showing up on my dash board not 500.

technical answers only please

Steve
    Ask yahoo.

Seriously, they have some internal stupid system they use to generate a stupid number, you are taking it to mean something. No one else can tell you what that stupid number means past yahoo. And it means nothing because it doesn't relate to sales.

Here is a number, 6. That is the number of months before you fade away and stop doing this because you care about everything but selling.

Quote Originally Posted by chetf
    Here is a number, 6. That is the number of months before you fade away and stop doing this because you care about everything but selling.
    Steve, I agree with chetf.

Forget about "relevant links", cryptic yahoo numbers, stats, "P.O.S." windows, "cloaked meta tags", Yahoo email spam, sig images, offline promotion, "Y! Links", "Traffic Consultants", "no follow tags", "skydiving from space", "sponsored search", "SEO tools", "E-mail marketing", and everything else that diverts you from completing your website.

Steve, reality check here! Your website IS your product, not the products you list for sale on your website. Right now your site is no more than an "ad farm", a phrase you mentioned in a recent post. There is nothing else there, no substance. Myself and others have posted this before, yet your website is still about the same as the first time I saw it. It's not worth promoting through SEs, offline, or any other method.

Don't waste your time on anything else! Develop a website with substance, pertinent information, and original content that attracts visitors. You constantly put the cart before the horse. Before worrying about SEO OR stats, you need to create a website that is worthy of SEO and gets enough TARGETED traffic to provide stats that mean something.

And don't PM me or phish for my phone number to ask me for help. It's all here...

X

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomers
    Steve, I agree with chetf.

Forget about "relevant links", cryptic yahoo numbers, stats, "P.O.S." windows, "cloaked meta tags", Yahoo email spam, sig images, offline promotion, "Y! Links", "Traffic Consultants", "no follow tags", "skydiving from space", "sponsored search", "SEO tools", "E-mail marketing", and everything else that diverts you from completing your website.

Steve, reality check here! Your website IS your product, not the products you list for sale on your website. Right now your site is no more than an "ad farm", a phrase you mentioned in a recent post. There is nothing else there, no substance. Myself and others have posted this before, yet your website is still about the same as the first time I saw it. It's not worth promoting through SEs, offline, or any other method.

Don't waste your time on anything else! Develop a website with substance, pertinent information, and original content that attracts visitors. You constantly put the cart before the horse. Before worrying about SEO OR stats, you need to create a website that is worthy of SEO and gets enough TARGETED traffic to provide stats that mean something.

And don't PM me or phish for my phone number to ask me for help. It's all here...

Boomers

Thanks for telling me this, however this does not help me to deepen my knowledge.

Steve

Steve - I think that at one time you said that you had someone building your site for you. If that's right you need to get rid of them. They don't know what the hell they are doing. I have a 7 year old grandaugther that could do better than that.

You need to learn how to build your own sites or pay someone here to build it for you that does know how to build a site.

I think you said that you had paid them thousands of dollars. That's sad. What a waste of your money. They are just taking you to the cleaners and taking advantage of you.

Go to google and do a search for the items that you sell. Look at the sites that you see on the first page of the search results. Does your site look like those sites do? Until it does you will never have any customers or sales.

We all keep telling you that your site doesn't make the grade and you need to start all over again and re-design it - but you won't listen. You just keep asking about things that don't matter instead of re-building your site.

You want to know what's the matter with your site.

1. The colors you have suck - especially the pink.

2. You have to scroll to the right for about a mile to see all of the page and then it is blank.

3. The dark blue you have on the top and left seems to have images and links in it but it is so blurry that their is no way to know what it says.

4. You need to get rid of the links at the bottom of the page that go no-where - Mission Statement, Events ( you have an event for May - This is August Steve) and the Next link on it goes to a 404 page -cannot be displayed, Favorite Links has nothing there (goes to home page), Sales (goes to home page), Search (goes to home page), Site Map (you don't have one), Investors (goes to home page - you will not have investors - you don't need that page), Supplers (goes to home page), FAQ (goes to home page), Privacy (goes to home page).

Those are the things that you need to work on right now and you don't need to keep asking us questions about other things until you take care of the things wrong with your site listed above. When you do all of the above THEN start asking questions about other things.

Steve - do you ever shop on the internet?

If you do and you were looking for NFL items and you had the choice of shopping on a site that looks like yours or shopping here http://www.footballfanatics.com/ which site would you shop at?

Do you think that site looks a lot better than yours? Until you listen to the people here and completely re-do your site so it looks more like the merchant's sites you are wasting your time asking about all of the other stuff you ask about all of the time.

The people here have tried to help you. We've all told you that you need to work on making your site look better but it just seems to go right past you and you don't listen to us.

That's why most of us are getting tired of trying to help you. You don't listen to us.
    Last edited by BurgerBoy; August 2nd, 2008 at 10:48 PM.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Ok Steve, take the comments above as tough love (with lack of a better term) intended to motivate, not to flame. Motivated yet? Maybe not, but until you are, you will not succeed in aff marketing.

X

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast