ABW Ambassador
    VCLK Tanks
    VCLK stock plunged under $10. The company's market value is under a billion. As I recall the current value of VCLK is substantially lower than the initial investments and IPOs sunk in the various companies that comprise VCLK.

The last news release is about a new product called Precision BT. The product uses a technique called Predictive Behavioral Targeting. Apparently, Precision BT mines all of the data generated by clicks and impressions tracked by CJ analysizes the data to create strategies for transferring sales from lesser affiliates and merchants to the important affiliates and merchants.

I doubt the news is the reason for the price drop in the stock. The stock market generally applauds underhanded marketing techniques.

I think the primary reason for the stock's slide is that the management VCLK has consistently undermined the pearl in its portfolio -- CJ -- Imagine what affiliate marketing would be if a group like the founders of Google owned CJ. The company could use a motto like "Do No Evil."

I think it will go as low as 6 but think I'll buy at 8 (end of the month - mid Aug).

Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Is precision bt really LMI in disguise?

Wouldnt take the stock for free
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

ABW Ambassador
    I think this product was the justification for LMI. Javascript lets VCLK capture more information on user behavior than tracking bits.

I just wish a miracle occurred and the management of VCLK woke up one morning and realized why they've failed as a company.

The strategy of VCLK from the start was to buy the leading affiliate network, then to harvest data from the network in an deliberate effort to undermine the merchants and affiliates using the network.

The method fails because all the crap they pull (parasiteware, spam, Precision BT, LMI and outright contempt for its customers) erodes their market share. Imagine that Precision BT manages to transfer another 30% of affiliate earnings from the affiliates to PriceRunner ... all that will happen is the affiliates will give up on CJ and move their traffic to honest companies like Google, SaS or direct deals with merchants. Any success that Precision BT has will be short lived as the product destroys the information base behind the product.

Quote Originally Posted by yintercept
    Apparently, Precision BT mines all of the data generated by clicks and impressions tracked by CJ analysizes the data to create strategies for transferring sales from lesser affiliates and merchants to the important affiliates and merchants.
    Um... What? Where do you see that? To me this just looks like a re-brand of Valueclick's existing behavioral targeting, with some more targeted options available to advertisers. I can't find any mention of this combined with CJ.

How exactly will behavioral targeting technologies transfer sales from "lesser affiliates and merchants" to "important affiliates and merchants"?

ABW Ambassador
    Joshua,

from the press release:

“What makes Precision Profiles™ unique is our access to a critical mass of anonymous consumer online experiences and the way our technology dynamically categorizes and transforms them into hundreds of interest segments,” said Matthew Boyd, senior vice president, ValueClick Media.
    They restate:

Several key features set Precision Profiles™ [...] Access to a wider spectrum of anonymous consumer online behavior (including web browsing, ad interaction, search and shopping behavior)
    And they emphasize: "ValueClick brands include Commission Junction, ..."

The press release seems to be quite clearly stating that what makes their product unique is access to the vast amount of data generated by their affiliate market.

I base my claim to VCLK having preferred publisher based on the fact that they own affiliate sites (pricerunner, smarter .com). The also include Behavior Tracking as key features of both ValueClick Media and in MediaPlex MOJO.

I base statements about VCLK and spam on the fact that the FTC slapped VCLK with a a record $2.9M fine earlier this year.

Valueclick, BeFree, CJ and other divisions of this company have a long history of trying to pull tricks to leverage their massive database, only to end up undermining the affiliate channel, which is the crown jewel of the company.

I am convinced that if they had taken the route of supporting affiliate marketing first, they would be a ten billion dollar firm today.

One of the analysts made the following comment:

He rates the company at "Neutral," but notes that it could be in a "prolonged if not permanent downward spiral."

Yikes. I know they have issues but this seems too much to me...
    Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -- Homer Simpson

ABW Ambassador
    There has been insider trading this week.
    http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...uying-now.aspx

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Ripe for the buying.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread