Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    OK Everyone, Cancel The Nachos!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Sheesh! So now it's bland nachos for the next month...

Reminds me of an old joke, "They're nacho jalapeños!"

X

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    "Salmonella found in a Mexican-grown jalapeño"

I would think jalapeños would kill just about any bacteria lurking.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I wonder how many are grown outside of Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    Our youngest son gave Ellen a planter pot with a basil plant and Jalapeno plant in it for her Birthday. It is growing nicely on our front deck, so I figure we'll have a corner on the CO Jalapeno market soon. Then it's easy street for us!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    watch out folks....Hot Pepper coming through
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    Buy locally. Peppers are probably getting close around the country, so go to your local farmer's market for your Jalapenos (and all other fresh veggies) and everything will be just fine

I curious as to why I'm not hearing of thousands of sick Mexicans during this whole thing. Jalapeños, and other chiles are eaten regularly in salsa or added sliced to food. Others are ground or put in a blender and cooked with other ingredients.

Influencer Marketing GravityFed's Avatar
    I don't know details of where the sickness is coming from, but I'm sure it's a pretty massive operation growing and exporting their peppers far and wide..

Chances are the locals, no matter where this is originating from, aren't eating what's being exported.

Smart of them to not eat what's being produced on a massive scale

Quote Originally Posted by Gary-AvantLink
    Buy locally. Peppers are probably getting close around the country, so go to your local farmer's market for your Jalapenos (and all other fresh veggies) and everything will be just fine
    Thanks Gary!! What are you trying to do here? Undermine my hostile takeover of the Jalapeno market? Our plant on the deck should produce the marketable product by next month and I'm already in touch with several produce distributors about contracting for my crop. Who knows, if this works out good, next year we may expand to two plants instead of one!!

"I'm livin the American dream baby"!!!

Lucky for us we have a huge crop growing in the garden along with other types of peppers, onions and huge tomatoes. Think salsa. This year I'll probably have enough salsa to last through the winter. My salsa recipe is a huge hit during the holidays. We wrap them up for Christmas gifts for friends and family.
    ~Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    Lucky for us we have a huge crop growing in the garden along with other types of peppers, onions and huge tomatoes. Think salsa. This year I'll probably have enough salsa to last through the winter. My salsa recipe is a huge hit during the holidays. We wrap them up for Christmas gifts for friends and family.
    Ern, if we add your crop to my single plant on the deck, we could make a move to take control of the Salmonella-Free Jalapeno market. I'm seeing some big numbers here. Let's talk co-op!!

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    I curious as to why I'm not hearing of thousands of sick Mexicans during this whole thing. Jalapeños, and other chiles are eaten regularly in salsa or added sliced to food. Others are ground or put in a blender and cooked with other ingredients.
    Spicy food is not really as popular in Mexico as you might think. Its kind of a more recent thing and if you go in grocery stores a lot of it is imported from ummm America.

But most Mexicans are used to less clean conditions. The water treatment plants are the big culprit. You grow up drinking that water and you wont get sick from it.

You come there from America and drink it you will get sick.

I am not sure if it has some salmonella to build up resistance but most Mexicans dont get sick drinking the water.

Um hello, I live in Mexico, so I know exactly how much spicy (well, not spicy, but HOT) food people eat. Chile has and is a normal food added in slices or cooked in dishes. My main dish for lunch yesterday had one kind of hot pepper.

As for the water that is another mistake. We DON'T drink the tap water (as it is) either. tap water is for bathing, watering the plants and brushing our teeth.

We either buy bottled water in big 20 liter containers for use at home, boil the tap water for several minutes, or we add purifying drops. The same drops in fact that we add to lettuce and strawberries (in water) for about 15 or so minutes before eating them. anyway, most of us don't drink the water like you would in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by andbeyond
    Spicy food is not really as popular in Mexico as you might think. Its kind of a more recent thing and if you go in grocery stores a lot of it is imported from ummm America.

But most Mexicans are used to less clean conditions. The water treatment plants are the big culprit. You grow up drinking that water and you wont get sick from it.

You come there from America and drink it you will get sick.

I am not sure if it has some salmonella to build up resistance but most Mexicans dont get sick drinking the water.

When we take our occasional trips to Mexico, I also avoid brushing my teeth with tap water as putting a toothbrush into my mouth with this water on it could also introduce potential problem causing bacteria into my body. My favorite alternative is to skip the bottled water and use Cervesa as my liquids supply!!

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread