Received $5 bonus for -- nothing?
    I just received this email:

> "A message from one of your merchants: (name) // Hi Mark, // I hope that you are doing well. I just wanted to send you a courtesy note informing you that we have issued a $5 bonus to your account as a sign of our appreciation for your loyalty. We also hope this acts as incentive for you to continue and increase your promotion of (name)." < (emphasis added)

And there it is, a $5 bonus from this merchant, posted to my SAS account.

To the best of my knowledge, I have never generated any sales for this particular merchant, nor promoted nor posted any links for this merchant. My SAS stats inform me that I have generated only 1 click (all-time total) to this merchant, which almost certainly represents my own "test click."

This is certainly a first, for me.

I must admit, this does generate some "warm fuzzy" feelings, and a positive attitude toward the merchant. It led me to check out the merchant's site for a minute, and consider posting links to the merchant. I assume that this was the goal. (I normally ignore "bonus offer" emails that promise a nominal bonus of $5 to $20 for posting a link or generating a first sale, but this unconditional gift got my attention.) Maybe it's a good idea!

Has anyone else ever received an unsolicited bonus like this?

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    To the best of my knowledge, I have never generated any sales for this particular merchant, nor promoted nor posted any links for this merchant. My SAS stats inform me that I have generated only 1 click (all-time total) to this merchant, which almost certainly represents my own "test click"...
    Wow. I think this is quite unprecedented, Mark. Thank you for sharing. Most affiliate programs choose to terminate inactive affiliates, and not pay them bonuses.

Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    I must admit, this does generate some "warm fuzzy" feelings, and a positive attitude toward the merchant. It led me to check out the merchant's site for a minute, and consider posting links to the merchant. I assume that this was the goal... Maybe it's a good idea!
    Maybe it is. But have you gone beyond considering? [just wondering whether it worked for this merchant].

G.

"Money for nothing"? Is the affiliate program run by Mark Knopfler? [img]images/icons/icon12.gif[/img]
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    "Money for nothing"? Is the affiliate program run by Mark Knopfler? [img]images/icons/icon12.gif[/img]
    Beware of their next affiliate bonus, chicks for free! Don't know how the wives and girlfriends will take that one.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

That's pretty sound marketing. Did they elicit the thought that you now owe them? And they DID get you to look at maybe promoting them...

X

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    It's like the direct mail program, $1 for opening the letter.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Beware of their next affiliate bonus, chicks for free! Don't know how the wives and girlfriends will take that one.
    I thought you said clicks for free...
    Eathan Mertz

Black Cat Mining - Gold Prospecting & Rockhounding Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Eathan
    I thought you said clicks for free...
    Generate more fake news.

9. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread