Inaccurate Pricing in Datafeeds (Zero or $1)
    As others warned, I'm finding lots of problems in many of the datafeeds I'm working with, and this afternoon I've encountered a number of merchants who include items in their datafeeds with inaccurate pricing.

Just today, I discovered that the following merchants have items listed in their datafeeds with prices set to zero: JewelBasket.com; Elite Jewels Inc.; DiscountGoldandDiamonds.com; Only Natural Pet Store; Pierre Silber; Playful Plush Toys; and ThePaintStore.com.

One merchant (Jewel Basket) responded to my complaint by suggesting that I simply modify my script to remove zero-price products.

Another merchant, Dream of Jewelry, has items listed in the datafeed as $1 (apparently used for items that have been discontinued) and another product was listed at $4 when the actual price on their web site is hundreds of dollars higher.

I'm uncomfortable with the idea of just deleting zero-price items from my database, because I suspect that the inclusion of zero-price items is a strong signal that the merchant is likely to be either incompetent or unethical, and thus the entire datafeed is "suspect." I have a very different "zero solution," which is to flush the entire datafeed for each merchant that I identify as having inaccurate pricing in the datafeed.

ABW Ambassador
    I wasted so much time trying to work with some of those datafeeds. Some merchants are expecting us to work with useless data.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Yes, I know you are ranting but just in case...
    You can go to phpmyadmin and do a sql query to find your "free" product merchants.

Choose the database you are using then go to the sql tab.

SELECT * from tablename WHERE Price="0"
    that will give you a list of items with zero prices.

DELETE from tablename WHERE Price="0"
    that will delete the entries with empty "price".

(Replace tablename with the name of the database table. Replace Price with the name you used for your Price column.)

Check to see if the price is in the Retailprice column instead.

SELECT * from tablename WHERE Price="0"
    that will give you a list of items with zero prices.

DELETE from tablename WHERE Price="0"
    that will delete the entries with empty "price".
    I find it easier to just add the modifying code to the end of the importing script, just before the OPTIMIZE TABLE line, that way I can replace or delete any junk I find on the feed.

Example:

mysql_query ("DELETE from tablename WHERE Price Like '0'");

mysql_query("OPTIMIZE TABLE tablename") or die(mysql_error());

Btw, I have been using that DELETE code a lot lately, there is plenty of garbage on many datafeeds from many places.

Affiliate Manager
    As a merchant, I have a question. Becuase many of my products are priced by options, the base price is set to 0 and shows up in the datafeed that way. But when an affiliate sends a customer and they place an order for one of these $0 products, they are forced to choose an option which upon checkin out will accurately report to the affiliates account...

How should I set up my datafeed in this case? We left it at $0 thinking that would be the best option, but maybe not? Should we be including the lowest price option for those products?

Thanks for the help!!!

Jill

Also note that PetsWarehouse used to put $0.01 in feed for non-active items. Some of these fixes will end up being on a site by site basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jill8026
    Should we be including the lowest price option for those products?
    I do, just as you have it on your site, we would want there to be no zero dollar products - unless of course you have offers like vista print where it is possible to get a zero dollar item + shipping & handling + any add ons.

If you don't sell any products for $0.00, then that cannot possibly be the best option. Yes, a few affiliates may automatically substitute "check price" or something like that; a few others may delete all zero-price products; but you absolutely know that some (probably most) affiliates who use your datafeed are just going to publish your datafeed content "as is," including zero-price products, and that's going to make both you and the affiliate look unprofessional.

The better practice would usually be to provide the lowest price available for that product (the cheapest configuration that matches the description and image).

If the product description or image reflect a different configuration, then the price for that configuration should be used (e.g. don't show the price for the 2-door hatchback if you describe or picture a 4-door with sun roof, spoiler, leather seats, and custom paint; don't show the price for the 15-inch notebook computer while picturing the enhancd 17-inch version).

FYI, the folks at Dream of Jewelry have been scrambling to figure out why their feed includes the two items I mentioned (a discontinued item shown with a $1 price, and a $64 item included in the datafeed with a $4 price instead). When I investigated, I found that these appear to be the only two "absurd pricing" items in their datafeed.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I don't know how a price set to zero could be justified. I don't think a customer would accept that and it would probably encourage them to no longer visit the affiliate site for giving bad info (the visitor doesn't know it is the datafeed's fault)

I was doing some searches in phpmyadmin and I found "test" products and other problems like products supposedly sold for .01 or .02.

Now that this has been brought to my attention, I'm going to change my filter from Price='0' to Price < .4. Perhaps I should set it higher. What would be a good level to avoid these merchant "errors" ?

As a merchant, I have a question. Becuase many of my products are priced by options, the base price is set to 0 and shows up in the datafeed that way. But when an affiliate sends a customer and they place an order for one of these $0 products, they are forced to choose an option which upon checkin out will accurately report to the affiliates account...

How should I set up my datafeed in this case? We left it at $0 thinking that would be the best option, but maybe not? Should we be including the lowest price option for those products?

Thanks for the help!!!

Jill

I've been thinking about the 'minimum price' for a while today. I do generate some sales to scrapbookers, who may buy individual scrapbook pages (12x12 paper) for under $1 and sometimes even at 39 cents, so I was thinking < $0.35 as my threshhold. I might choose different minimums for different merchant groups ($5 for jewelry, $2 for clothing, $12 for furniture, etc.).

Should we be including the lowest price option for those products?

Thanks for the help!!!

Jill
    I personally would say yes. It would also be nice if an option range eg "from $60 to $75" or indication that it is the base price was added into the description.

I get round the problem of the $0 by displaying $TBA. This is especially true in the case of monthly contract cellphones where the actual price of the phone is indeed $0 if you sign the contract for the required period.

Bob

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks everyone! I will be updating my feed today to ensure all products have the minimum purchase price based on the image shown in the datafeed!

I am a newbie to this and doing my best to learn the ins and outs and since I have never used datafeeds before it is sometimes hard to grasp the best way of doing things-so I appreciate the help!

Jill

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    FYI, the folks at Dream of Jewelry have been scrambling to figure out why their feed includes the two items I mentioned (a discontinued item shown with a $1 price, and a $64 item included in the datafeed with a $4 price instead). When I investigated, I found that these appear to be the only two "absurd pricing" items in their datafeed.

Mark, thanks again for alerting us to the two items that were skewed. We do try our best to avoid being "absurd." LOL

As you know, we were in contact with you several times on this yesterday afternoon and evening while Zach investigated the cause of the two items in question.

Per our last advisement to you last night at approximately 9:12 MDST, one of the item errors was a result of a piece of code that grabbed all prices instead of the active price. As soon as he figured out the cause, the code was modified and the problem was corrected. That leaves one to go! The other item issue is a problem from Share A Sale's end and as he advised, Zach will be in touch with SaS this morning.

The code that we uploaded to the SaS feed on this item is uploaded from our end as "CANCELLED" and yet the SaS feed continues to show it as "in stock." I'm confident that Zach and SaS will get it resolved.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention. I will be offline for a few days while I take care of some personal business, but feel free to call or email Zach if you have any further questions or concerns.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

http and a telephoto
    Jill, I have the same set up as you, the products are $0 and the attributes (sizes) add on the price. When creating the datafeed I use the lowest attribute price. I also encourage affiliates NOT to show prices. I have always been an advocate of "click to see price and availability" in my own affiliate endeavors and for affiliates showing my merchants feeds. Price is volatile in many cases and at least one of my merchants has quick inventory turn over, so encouraging click for availability sets up the shopper for the possibility it may be out of stock, but there will be alternatives available.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Affiliate Manager felipe.cortelezzi's Avatar
    As a merchant, I have one question:

My products (calling cards) do not have a flat price, the price depends on: from where/to which countries you want to call.

So, in this case I was thinking in adding to the price field the historical amount avg per order (which is $15.00+/-, and to clarify I can add in the "Description" field how many minutes you got with $15.00.

Is this correct? any advice/suggestion/commentary is always welcome.

Thanks!

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread