ABW Ambassador
    This was written by an eBates lawyer in response to a BBB complaint:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>These complaints are founded in frustration at having a less-valuable offering to the consumer<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First I want to point out that extortionists have the exact same claim. Abu is upset at having to pay an extortionist because the extortionist decreases the value of his investment. Shop owners tend to hate shop lifters because shop lifters decrease the value of the shop.

No, what is getting people ticked off is not that eBates is competing. It is that eBates is using marketing materials by others to sell product and taking the commission. Let's say I spend a thousand dollars to research an area and make a site that sells widgets, eBates is essentially taking the sales generated from my research.

If they had a standard program that people loaded when they wanted to go shopping, then that is fine. Harvesting and selling the works of others is outright theft.

I was thinking one option to this browser modifiers is that there should be a standard way to identify a modified browser. If we had block all eBates modified browsers in HTACCESS, then I would send all the eBates customers who want to look at my work to the just deserves.

sound thinking

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    yintercept know that a huge number of BHO bundled and drive-by victims, as well as duped downloaders, uninstall the incnet programs. A huge number still don't know where those damn popups even come from let alone they get a reward or give to some charity or cause. Those are the BHO's slush fund for weathering out the consumer backlash storm.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

What is a BHO and COC?

Mary

Just Lurking
    BHO = Browser Helper Object
    COC = Code of Conduct as written be the Affiliate Networks.

ABW Ambassador
    I would love to have the opportunity to educate the public about BHOs, viruses, parasites and other nasty things that get installed on computers. Of course, con men know that an educated public reduces the value of their business model. For those who are wondering, there really isn't a whole bunch of gentlemen from Nigeria who are looking for illegitimate channels to transfer ill gotten money from Africa. Likewise, the reason your computer keeps crashing is because of that parasite applicate that got installed in your computer when you went to that coupon site.

Web sites that use ads to pay for content should be able to block access to computer users that use programs that nullify ads.

eBates should have a flag in the HTTP header that tells us if a computer is infected with their product. If installing a BHO means that a surfer can no longer access large segments of the Internet, then that is the end user's choice.

Of course, eBates is not a technology in any meaninful sense of the word. They just are a company that uses some of the hooks that Microsoft allows in the browser. If a few of the parasites using BHOs identified themselves, there would be a ton of followers using the same code and infecting computers without changing the header.

sound thinking

I've read that Microsoft isn't very happy about all the BHO's taking advantage of the default browser settings, which are creating support complaints, and that the next version of Windows will have the default BHO download settings disabled.

I've also read that Microsoft is considering changing the default on the current Windows version to "Off" in a future update.

So it might not hurt to send a message to Microsoft about the automatic downloads and the default settings...couldn't hurt.

Don't mess with Microsoft...

This could be very good news for affiliates!

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I've also read that Microsoft is considering changing the default on the current Windows version to "Off" in a future update.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but if there is an API to turn it on, it wont do much good. I haven't looked but it would surprise me if they don't provide one so don't get your hopes to fast just yet!

===============================
    PeePee merchants with PooPoo policies allow our earnings to be flushed down the crapper.

Why give parasites unlimited cookie durations and credit for sales where they divert our users and overwrite our cookies. PP merchants directly support what many consider unfair trade practices and thievery!
    ===============================

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Miscrosoft is probably rethinking their marketing strategy that allowed for their system and major add-on and ISP vendors to use browser OEM plug-ins to push their products via captive audience. (Dell-Gateway-Real Networks-Earthlink etc etc)

Made sense when MS was seeking to bury Netscape until the direct BHO marketers perverted the plug-in marketplace. Now all computer manufactures and MS are yelling that 42% of all support service costs are tied to buggy and competing browser BHO plugins.

They no longer need to establish marketshare and WILL dictate their complaining vendors can only download browser or windows based support tools if performed by a certified MS procedure, shaking out the MS Ad-whore parasites. The FTC and AG's have put them on notice that P2P and BHO applications leave gapping security holes allowing identity thieves to breed like rabbits.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

Well, I hope Microsoft does something about this. I'm sure they don't like the fact that their software is being corrupted in this manner.

There's little doubt that these apps cause slowdowns and conflicts, and that's gotta make Microsoft mad.

I'll cross my fingers and hope that something is done to address this, so that these downloaded software apps won't have such an easy time getting into someone's system.

Andy

ABW Ambassador
    Even though Micro$oft is at fault for leaving the hole, hopefully it will be publicized soon that many of the bugs we've seen can be, or have been, attributed to BHO parasites... Then, perhaps the pressure will be applied and M$ will take action against them, especially those claiming they have Micro$oft's blessing...
    But then, who's to say M$ won't take the parasite's place stealing our commissions?

Zimpy.com - Stuff with attitude!

Die Parasites Die!!

Even if MS fixes the holes in next release of IE it may take a very long time for us to begin to see improvement...

When I review my various site logs I still see users of Netscape 3 --- how long before users upgrade to the newest IE release???

char_paula

ABW Ambassador
    One problem is that there are some Browser Helper Objects that people think are good, and aren't that spammy yet, like Google and Alexa.

Micosoft is a big wild card, as there is very little to prevent them from adding their own little browser helper. I would not put it beyond them to start bundling ie with more money making opportunities. After all, shouldn't they receive some reward for offering the world a free browser. Their competition--like Opera includes ads! What's wrong with MS imposing a tiny tax on the internet to pay for its hard work. After all, they are the ones who brought you the Internet...

Having switches that can be changed by computers is really not that effective. Worst, by adding a software switch, the Gators of the world will be able to use the existence of a switch against law suits (not that any have been that successful). The fact that the consumer had to flip a switch further legitimizes the parasite model.

Finally, I think MS will have a hard time pulling off a take away from people who can claim that they are small businesses.

sound thinking

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread