No Longer Banned!
    <h1> Tags...
    I added several <h> tags to a page for seo purposes recently.

My site name is stevesapparel as 1 word and fairly recently it has started to show op as steve's apparel and steves apparel too and I was wondering if adding the variations on my name in h tags will help us get found more easily in SE's W/O BUYING ANOTHER DOMAIN.

The logic is simple here. I want to show up under multiple variations of my name in multiple ways. Not just via domain purchases etc.

Please advise.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

The <hx> tags are headings and should be used as such. The search engines are wise to the little tricks that used to work in the past, like putting irrelevant text or keyword stuffing your <hx> tags. If you stick to using them as headings (well written headings), you'll see greater benefits. If you want to use the misspellings or alternate spellings in your page, go for it... but don't wrap them in <hx> tags simply for the sake of trying to get them noticed.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Don't waste your Hx real estate on your name, which you'll rank well for anyhow. Use those Hx tags for prime keywords you're targeting in the SERPs.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    It's also a good idea to only have one H1 tag per page. You can have multiple H3 tags on the same page. That's what I have heard from an SEO perspective.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveWilliams
    I want to show up under multiple variations of my name in multiple ways. Not just via domain purchases etc.
    Within your site's navigation / links, use the varieties you seek, it won't take much to rank well on vars of your own name. Somewhere on some pages within your site, make the different vars into hyperlinks. That anchor text will grab you the seo spots, for your name, that you're seeking. If there's nobody else competing well for them, it'll come easily for you.

The reason to buy other domain names is more to prevent squatters from imitating you once your site has gained a following.

And seriously, focus the Hx's on something other than your name. Think carefully about the math behind these things.

Yeah, like the others have said, don't worry about ranking for your site name.

First things first - keyword research. Compile a list of keywords that would work for you and slowly narrow it down to keywords you think you can rank for, to the ones you specifically want to target.

Then target specifically per page and site.
    [url=http://www.drastictactics.com/]Drastic Tactics[/url] - Performance Marketing Since 1998

Why would you think that anyone would even be searching for your name??

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drastic
    Yeah, like the others have said, don't worry about ranking for your site name.

First things first - keyword research. Compile a list of keywords that would work for you and slowly narrow it down to keywords you think you can rank for, to the ones you specifically want to target.

Then target specifically per page and site.
    I have over 20,000 keywords ken. Ouch.

Steve
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

No Longer Banned!
    Solidifying Stevesapparel Brand In The Market Place.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Why would you think that anyone would even be searching for your name??
    BB

Basically I'm doing 2 things. Some jerk off in tenn went and spoofed my name with a .net then went broke after 2 years and STILL shows up under me in the SE's {more on that in a different thread} and 2} most people don't realise that you cant be steve's apparel so strictly as a PR issue when the guy wants to check you out {To see if you at least look like you are for real ?} online, it is tough to explain away why you don't show up in the SE's for a word that they misspelled in the first place.

It also is meant to solidify my brand.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; July 24th, 2008 at 02:34 AM. Reason: Texas Spelling Spree....

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by SeymourButts
    It's also a good idea to only have one H1 tag per page. You can have multiple H3 tags on the same page. That's what I have heard from an SEO perspective.
    Semour

This is priceless. I will change this IMMEDIATELY !

thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

Steve

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    Within your site's navigation / links, use the varieties you seek, it won't take much to rank well on vars of your own name. Somewhere on some pages within your site, make the different vars into hyperlinks. That anchor text will grab you the seo spots, for your name, that you're seeking. If there's nobody else competing well for them, it'll come easily for you.

The reason to buy other domain names is more to prevent squatters from imitating you once your site has gained a following.

And seriously, focus the Hx's on something other than your name. Think carefully about the math behind these things.
    Donuts.

I some times just cant believe my ears when I hear you man. You are a very smart man. You helped me a lot bro.

Thanks. I will NEVER EVER forget it.

Steve

No Longer Banned!
    Quote Originally Posted by HecticDMC
    The <hx> tags are headings and should be used as such. The search engines are wise to the little tricks that used to work in the past, like putting irrelevant text or keyword stuffing your <hx> tags. If you stick to using them as headings (well written headings), you'll see greater benefits. If you want to use the misspellings or alternate spellings in your page, go for it... but don't wrap them in <hx> tags simply for the sake of trying to get them noticed.
    Dan

Thanks for replying to my post man. Very cool of you.

I will not wrap the words for that sake as you suggested I shouldn't and While I have not, I did use legit titles with my name mispelled.

Like for example Steve's Apparel widgets or Steves Apparel Favourite widgets etc.

Strictly legit I hope.

Steve

I just put in <h> tags yesterday, thanks for the heads up.
    1stopshopping4moms.com
    Tired of browsing the net for what you are looking for?
    Hundreds of stores in one place with the best prices

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread