A Real Hit to the Ego
    You know that you are a low, low man on the totem pole when you get an email from a merchant that they are giving out bonuses to people who generate starting at $20,000 in sales in a month and you can't remember the last time that you had $20,000 with ANY merchant in a month...or probably even 10 merchants put together.

Just when you think you are getting somewhere in affiliate marketing, you are acutely reminded that others are making WAY more money than you. LOL!
    --Tricia Meyer-- I love being the exception to the rule.

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Yup, Sure ... now let me check ... Cagles Mill's Avatar
    On the other hand, I've had merchants tell me I was among their top 25 producers and/or top 10% and I was only generating maybe $300 or $400 commision with them in a month (so I was generating maybe 2k to 5k in actual sales dollars).

Not every merchant does millions in online sales each month.
    Rick M.
    I would rather have a bottle in front of me, than have a frontal lobotomy!
    Does your bubblegum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?

Quote Originally Posted by Cagles Mill
    On the other hand, I've had merchants tell me I was among their top 25 producers and/or top 10% and I was only generating maybe $300 or $400 commision with them in a month (so I was generating maybe 2k to 5k in actual sales dollars).
    Now THAT is the kind of email that would be a boost to the ego!!

Tricia Meyer | Helping Moms Connect | Wine Club Reviews and Ratings | Hunger Games Fan

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I don't suffer from comparisonitis as it's counterproductive.

I can compete without worrying about what other$ are doing in compari$on to myself.

I've received e-mails from merchants like
    'as one of our top performers we'd like to...blah...blah'

when I'd never made a sale from that merchant.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    I don't suffer from comparisonitis as it's counterproductive.

I can compete without worrying about what other$ are doing in compari$on to myself.
    Personally, I think a little competition is healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by helpingmoms
    So do I but there's a difference between competing and comparisons which is why I said I CAN compete without comparing myself.

If I compete, I strive to do better. If I compare, I am forever depressed because where does it end?

Let's say I make $5,000 a month and I am so happy. Weeee I make more than my idiot neighbor at his day job. Whoops then all that comes crashing down when I see affiliate x makes $10k a month.

My high has hit bottom but I still keep working. Then I make $10K a month. Yes, yes, yes, I made it! Oh wait, no I didn't because affiliate y makes $25K a month.

Crap, I'm a loser. I only make $10K a month. Forget that I've reached all my personal goals, have the scheduled I desired, and money to pay my bills. My ego is shot because I only make $10K a month....

I move up to $25K. Then I am on top. Wait, wait, wait there are circles where you'll get laughed at for making ONLY $25K a month. I'm still a loser. I suck. I suck. I suck.

And on and on and on. Where does it end? It doesn't with a true case of comparisonitis which is why I'll never have it and the only earnings comparisons I'll make are between myself and myself.

ABW Ambassador
    You know that you are a low, low man on the totem pole when you get an email from a merchant that they are giving out bonuses to people who generate starting at $20,000 in sales in a month and you can't remember the last time that you had $20,000 with ANY merchant in a month...or probably even 10 merchants put together.

Just when you think you are getting somewhere in affiliate marketing, you are acutely reminded that others are making WAY more money than you. LOL!
    You are still lucky that they didn't drop or threat to drop your commission rate if you don't hit $20,000/month.

I had a merchant send me email the other day saying that my commission rate with them will be dropped 40% less on certain day. In order to earn a higher commission rate(where I am with them right now) I will need to generate $50,000 in revenue a month.

That's nothing to feel bad about. If you've got a site that promotes dozens or even hundreds of merchants, it is unlikely that any one is going to be a huge producer. You're spreading it around. That's just the way it is.

Effective goals must be attainable. Putting a single goal on the entire program is just foolish. Some affs might do multiples of that amount month without even trying, others may be so far off that they won't even try.

This is the affiliate manager's failure, not yours.

A little competition really is healthy. But I ignore contests or incentives that reward on total production because they favor PPC affiliates - and I don't work in that arena.

Keep in mind that the $20,000+ in sales may NOT represent a healthy profit. Many (most?) of those heavy hitters spend a bundle on PPC advertising.

Also, consider that some of the affiliates making those BIG BUCKS are companies - not individuals. Ever wonder what the commission checks look like for eBates or uPromise?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Quote Originally Posted by sjangro
    That's nothing to feel bad about. If you've got a site that promotes dozens or even hundreds of merchants, it is unlikely that any one is going to be a huge producer. You're spreading it around. That's just the way it is.
    I like the way you put that. "Spreading it around." One of our site mottos is "sharing the Sunshine" (I know...cheesy...). I should look at it like that.

You make a really good point about the affiliate manager/program. You have to wonder how effective it is for a program to only incent the affiliates that are already producing at an extremely high level. Wonder what might happen to their sales if they tried motivating the people who are not already sending them a lot of sales but have the potential to if given a realistic incentive?

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ProWebAddict
    So do I but there's a difference between competing and comparisons which is why I said I CAN compete without comparing myself.

If I compete, I strive to do better. If I compare, I am forever depressed because where does it end?

(Snip)

It doesn't with a true case of comparisonitis which is why I'll never have it and the only earnings comparisons I'll make are between myself and myself.
    I like the competition factor (including some comparing). I don't get discouraged to find that so-and-so is making 10x more than me. It's a target to beat and therefore is motivation! Just like the high scores on an old-fashioned video game--they are there to be beaten!

Competing "against yourself" may be fine for stuff like losing weight (after all, if you take that too far you starve to death)--but for business, it doesn't do it for me at all. The competitors all have butts that need kicking and I like to give 'em what they need

Quote Originally Posted by Leader

Competing "against yourself" may be fine for stuff like losing weight (after all, if you take that too far you starve to death)--but for business, it doesn't do it for me at all. The competitors all have butts that need kicking and I like to give 'em what they need
    It's kind of hard to compete with others in terms of income because how do you know what other people are making unless you frequent those "my **** is bigger than yours" forums or social circles.

And perhaps I'm vain but I'd rather be happy with my improvements as opposed to making myself feel inferior based on other people who have nothing to do with what I am doing.

SEO rankings- ok, I'll compete.

Traffic- ok, I'll compete.

But as far as income, my detailed charts of month by month traffic vs. income are all the competition I need.

No Longer Banned!
    Compring your self to "WHO". So Help Me Understand Why....
    Hi

Pro Web Addict has a good point. If you know that say 4000 USD a week is just about the max you can legally/ Morally make in a week by yourself {Just as an example Here}, and you know 80% of all the other guys are not making that and more profoundly are not willing to put in the work to make that 4 grand a week happen, then why would you play the "who" game ?

There are guys in my specialty that make the exact same money "per Widget" as I do but they got like 8000 widget makers and I got one. 70+ % of their employees not only don't want to make lots of widgets every week, but also 99% of the billion dollar outfits DELIBERATELY {YES, I absolutely mean DELIBERATELY guys} restrict how many widgets their widget makers can produce.

So in reality, who are you comparing to "?" For "top" producers its a money game. A professional sport. For others, it is just a hobby or a necessity and their REAL JOB IN LIFE is anything but work. For them, there is no sport.

Keeping track of this stuff like you would say in terms of market cap, yesterdays close, last quarters dividend and the last 2 quarters yield is one thing, but comparing your self to the hot chick at the nail salon who drives a cadillac she obviously can't afford and who buys a case of beer SIX DAYS PER WEEK is not sport at all. Its an exercise in futility. After all, her sport is working one day per week and driving to the beer store the other six days & driving down Ferguson road at 100 mph & DUI with her kids in the car w/o getting arrested. ~ Looking damn good doing it. Cuz of the French nails perhaps ?

Its a lot like comparing apples & oranges. Then expecting them to Mooo like cow. The dynamics are far too different for that.

What really makes me laugh is that these often insecure people all sit around and laugh at each other and try to show off their bling that they haven't finished paying for so therefore don't own anyway, pointing fingers at the others making snide remarks about how broke the other guy is and don't nan one of them actually want financial freedom in the first place. Most would rather just sit around after work / on weekends & drink a few beers / party point fingers and basically laugh at each others "Lack Of" while most of them are saddled with a 300k USD mortgage, 90k USD in car payments 2 REALLY EXPENSIVE kids that most of them really don't care about anyway and a paltry 20k USD 401 K that is usually over run by the 20k USD in Slave Debt to MASTER Card. {LMAO}

As I said. An exercise in futility.

As one great Texan said: : "So help me understand why"

Anyway good call Pro Web Addict.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve Williams; July 24th, 2008 at 02:09 AM. Reason: Texas Spelling Spree....
    DreamLinux.net | Registered Linux User 453976 | PM me to view our sites. It's a Google thing.

As a newbie...I've gotten a few of those and just ignore them. You can't compare someone who has been doing AM for years with someone who is struggling to make their first sale. I just aim to get there..
    1stopshopping4moms.com
    Tired of browsing the net for what you are looking for?
    Hundreds of stores in one place with the best prices

There's a line from a song / article that I love that - I think - would fit perfectly here....

"Don't waste time on jealousy. Sometimes you're ahead. Sometimes you're behind. The race is long, and - in the end - it's only with yourself."

There are always going to be people who are doing better than you, and people are not doing as well as you are. Focus on your personal goals, not on someone elses....

Paul

ABW Ambassador
    I like knowing what the top affs are making. It inspires me and keeps me working hard. It also lets me know how I'm doing and if I should consider changing strategies (Athough I never do PPC, not brave enough).

Wink
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagles Mill
    On the other hand, I've had merchants tell me I was among their top 25 producers and/or top 10% and I was only generating maybe $300 or $400 commision with them in a month (so I was generating maybe 2k to 5k in actual sales dollars). .
    Not every merchant does millions in online sales each month.
    You have every reason in the world to be be proud of what you have accomplished. I'm not saying there aren't any affiliates pulling in 20.000 dollars a month in sales from one merchant but that would have to be some impressively large merchant. My guess is that most A.M.s would be more than pleased with your performance.

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread