Merchants who don't offer coupons
    Per an excellent suggestion by SeymourButts we should maintain a list of merchant sites that don't use or provide coupons in any way, shape, or form.

This list will use submitted and maintained by the mods.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

ABW Ambassador
    No way you could ever maintain such a list and probably would be inaccurate as hell, so would be pointless as well.

Then shouldn't we also keep a list of merchants who allow any coupons and those who only allow those through the affiliate channel? How about a list of those who don't allow cookie stuffing and those who do? A list of those who allow trademark bidding and those who don't? There are so many things that there could be lists for. And really, I think there are many much larger issues in the industry that really are hurting people than this.

While I admit it will be hard to maintain accurately, it really shouldn't be if a merchant themselves posts they don't offer affiliate coupons. If the list only consists of 10 merchants, then fine so be it, it's a point of reference and a tool.

Additionally, if the other lists could serve a purpose as well then maybe we will create a thread for them as well. Not to attack an allegedly inconsequential issue, but as a point of reference.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Haiko
    If the list only consists of 10 merchants, then fine so be it, it's a point of reference and a tool.
    I like this list idea and hope the OPMs give it some use. I know Geno has one that will not be having coupons.

For me it could be a time saver when I'm considering a new merchant for my coupon site. If they don't have any then I save time just moving on to the next one. I have wasted a good bit of time signing up just to see if they had coupons only to find out they aren't interested.

It would also cut down on rejections and sometimes emailing to find out why. For sure the list wouldn't have them all, but like Haiko says a few could help.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    How about the networks showing that information when you sign-up for the program?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    How does one submit merchants who never ever had and affiliate coupon traffic and have gone so far as to gutt their shopping cart programs to not even display a promo/coupon code box during checkout..?
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw
    ...I know Geno has one that will not be having coupons.
    HomelivingStyle.com is the merchant bumpaw refers to.

I have another merchant (M-Rock.com) who isn't planning on having coupons as such but they will are running an ongoing "15% off" deal, which coupon affiliates are encouraged to market on their sites (we've put together a bunch of banners specifically for this), and we have no problem with this. I am sure there are plenty of other merchants who do not offer coupons, but like M-Rock.com are happy with discount-minded shoppers.

Geno

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geno Prussakov
    HomelivingStyle.com is the merchant bumpaw refers to.

I have another merchant (M-Rock.com) who isn't planning on having coupons as such but they will are running an ongoing "15% off" deal, which coupon affiliates are encouraged to market on their sites (we've put together a bunch of banners specifically for this), and we have no problem with this. I am sure there are plenty of other merchants who do not offer coupons, but like M-Rock.com are happy with discount-minded shoppers.Geno
    Agreed. A banner that announces an ongoing instant or built in savings etc as opposed to a coupon code that may be dropped in can appear like a coupon without being a coupon per se. Does that merchant offer coupons? Grey area I would think.
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

It's maintenance of the list that I question... it's a great idea, but I don't see it as super practical. Should only merchants be posting, so there's no confusion? What if they offered coupons at one time, but no longer do? What if they still have a coupon entry box, but no longer have coupons? What if they only have a coupon once a year? What if they post that they don't have coupons, but then a year from now, they decide they want to run coupons and don't update the thread?

This isn't a huge deal, don't get me wrong. We're not talking end-of-the-world stuff but for the sake of accuracy, these are the questions that I have.
    Daniel M. Clark
    Tech Manager
    Greg Hoffman Consulting

ABW Ambassador
    The list would be a great starting place for me. And I would very much appreciate it. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would be a help.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread