Randy Pausch has died.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08207/899511-100.stm

I found some words for how I feel about this, but they are inadequate.

-John.
    There's a reason army's wear uniforms even though it makes them easier to spot. Sometimes that's what you want. Uniforms suggest organization, power, and numbers. These, in turn, inspire fear. And, as any good operative knows, there is no more effective weapon than fear.

Hosting Comparison - HostScope - jrrl.com

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    I didn't know who that was but I looked at the article and I remember seeing him on Oprah. What a sweet man he seemed to be.

Boy how I detest cancer.

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    Sad, sad thing. Seemed to be just a terrific fellow.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    "But we don't beat the Reaper by living longer. We beat the Reaper by living well," said Dr. Pausch, who urged the graduates to find and pursue their passion. He put an exclamation point at the end of his remarks by kissing his wife, Jai, and carrying her off stage.
    If you've got iTunes, go grab Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath".

This yahoo poster understands the meaning of it, just like Dr. Pausch:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2035801AAvJCHD
    "I remember that Ian Anderson once explained this song as a metaphor for the journey of life, and how the bad things don't stop you, they keep coming and you just have to survive them somehow until the journey finally ends."

"Survive" though, is not what we're meant to do, not what we yearn to do. Surviving until our end is the minimum. Life is more than surviving.

Again, if music inspires you, grab "Can't Stop" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Read the lyrics. Live the line "This life is more than just a read through".

When your times comes, what regrets will you have? I believe they will mostly be things you didn't do, and won't get a chance to do. So when is the time to decide to truly pursue your passions? If you're not already, then start right f'ing now. Words from these songs, and from the just departed, are screaming at you! Don't let a regret of yours be that you didn't listen, that you heard the truth and you decided to let it slip by.

Live well.

jrrl, thanks for posting this story, it plucked my strings.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuts
    If you've got iTunes, go grab Jethro Tull's "Locomotive Breath".
    "Locomotive Breath"

In the shuffling madness
    Of the locomotive breath,
    Runs the all-time loser,
    Headlong to his death.
    He feels the piston scraping --
    Steam breaking on his brow --
    Thank God, he stole the handle and
    The train won't stop going --
    No way to slow down.
    He sees his children jumping off
    At the stations -- one by one.
    His woman and his best friend --
    In bed and having fun.
    He's crawling down the corridor
    On his hands and knees --
    Old Charlie stole the handle and
    No way to slow down.
    He hears the silence howling --
    Catches angels as they fall.
    And the all-time winner
    Has got him by the balls.
    He picks up Gideon's Bible --
    Open at page one --
    God stole the handle and
    No way to slow down.

I saw the video of his "Last Lecture" a while ago and it was inspiring. I don't often sit in front of my computer watching a video that's 75 minutes long, so you know it had to have kept my attention.

In fact, my mother just heard about it, we talked about it, and she sent me his book a few weeks ago.

I think he definitely stands as an example of how to live life to its fullest, regardless of what's thrown at you. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

He managed to say goodbye on his terms and let nothing alter that. An inspiration for everyone, everywhere. CMU and the Pittsburgh area will especially feel the loss of such a quality person who happened to give more than take.

-sfcom

This was painful for my wife, who was inspired by Pausch's story. Kary watched the lecture, read the book, watched the Diane Sawyer interview, and monitored Pausch's web site frequently (but not in the past couple of weeks). During the past year, Kary's grandmother died of brain cancer, and our next-door-neighbor was diagnosed with rectal/colon cancer too late for effective treatment.

Kary is also the local chairperson for the American Cancer Society's "Relay for Life" event this weekend. I'm downloading the "Last Lecture" video right now, with the hope that we might be able to play it at some point during the 24-hour event. (On Pausch's web site, he gives blanket permission for non-commercial use of the video.)

If you haven't watched the video, please take some time to do so this weekend -- not for Randy Pausch, but for yourself and your family.
    Last edited by markwelch; July 25th, 2008 at 01:47 PM.

I watched his final CMU lecture this morning (again). What an amazing person. I cannot imagine what his family must be going through.

Do yourself and your family a favor and watch this the next time you find yourself in front of "America's Got Talent" or the like.

Do yourself and your family a favor and watch this the next time you find yourself in front of "America's Got Talent" or the like.
    Agreed.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

He was truly an inspiring person. Really makes you put what's important in life into perspective.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread