Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Oriental Trading Drops Affiliate Coupon Sites
    Just got this in an email....

After careful consideration Oriental Trading Company, Inc. and Terry's Village.com have made a business decision to discontinue partnering with coupon sites as of July 25, 2008.

Antisocial Media Expert ProWebAddict's Avatar
    Hmm I guess I should take them off of my coupon site before I get the same notice.

That's why I never list my coupon site with networks because people act like it would be unheard of for you to put them on any other sites.

*click, delete*

Sometimes affiliates have both coupon and non-coupon sites.

So you can stay with Oriental Trading if your a non-coupon site that maybe lists their free shipping coupon, but not if your a coupon site that does the exact same thing.

That's fine I guess. Not that I wanted to work a merchant with a small brain anyway.

Didn't the affiliate manager post here not too long ago about wanting to recruit more affiliates or something like that?

Yup, she did
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=105927

I just got the notice also. What's weird is that it's been less that 48 hours since they approved me for TerrysVillage. Thankfully I hadn't gotten around to messing with that one yet.

Called Jennifer Simons who sent the email and got phone mail.
    Click -- I'm Over It!

ABW Ambassador
    I got the e-mail, and I don't even have a coupon site. Moronic

After my last post in this thread I went into LinkShare to "Remove" myself from Oriental Trading and they had beat me to it. I was already marked "Declined".
    It is my hope that we can re-evaluate future opportunities to partner. I would like to thank you for your business and wish you success in all business endeavors.
    Don't call me I'll call you.

I wonder what the reasoning was behind this massive deletion as opposed to asking people to remove them from their coupon sites.

Maybe I'm being idealistic though, and it's just plain easier to delete everyone without considering affiliates with more than one promotion plan.

Still I find it to be a silly move. Especially when their program needs cleaning up anyway. Coupon sites should be last on the list of concerns.

I also hope they don't plan on offering any coupons or discounts in their Linkshare links at all. If they do then they are even more clueless than I thought.

I took them off my coupon site which ironically was the one with the most sales for them, but they are still on other places. If I eventually get a notice then it won't be hard to remove them as their program isn't that crucial.

Everything they have can be found elsewhere.

Just got the email, too.

What is interesting is we are running a poll on our site right now. And, the results will be interesting. The question is "How important are coupon code to you when shopping online."

We plan to use our suspected results with merchants that need to understand the importance of coupon codes. Consumers want them. And, affiliates are an important component in delivering traffic to merchants that offer them thru us.

Oriental Trading has competitors that we can drive traffic too. I am sure that they are all happy to hear they are bowing out. I guess we will post a few banners of those competitors to the Oriental Trading - "No coupon codes are available" page.

And, free shipping codes/offers are the norm - Wouldn't it be smarter to evaluate an economically feasible set of affiliate offers than to shoot yourself in the foot by dropping marketing partners all together?

Lite On The Do, Heavy On The Nuts Donuts's Avatar
    I understand both sides of the coupon issue and why some question it's value.

Couponers, I'm not saying it's without value, I'm saying I understand the debate / decision.

However, if this is about value, then why did I find OT listed with eBates and UPromise just now when I went to check, and I only checked those two auto-cookie-poppers.

There's no way that coupon sites have less real value than a cookie-popping BHO, it's not even close.

My conclusion here, they're ignorant, and are unaware (ignorant squared) that acting on that ignorance will only serve to compound the problems they're having in their search for value in their partners.
    Last edited by Donuts; July 25th, 2008 at 02:10 PM. Reason: added it's not even close for clarity

Sounds like a knee jerk reaction to an issue. Seems the sensible thing to do would be change the policy, notify affiliates and give them time to make any adjustments.

Like Donuts said, why remove coupon sites and keep parasites? Some higher up probably saw something on a coupon site that pissed them off and told the AM to remove them all, without knowing the full ramifications of such a decision and without thought of the parasites. Another one bites the dust.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    I think this is very typical of this merchant. I joined them a while back, not knowing that they did not offer individual product links. Thus, I was not able to promote them, and had no sales, and they eventually dropped me for that reason. Now, as they are on Popshops, I could be promoting, and most likely selling, their products, but that is the way they operate, and as with their couplon site position, some other merchants are getting the benefit of their short-sighted decision-making process.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

ABW Ambassador
    Just going thru email and seeing this. There's just no logic to it at all, even when more people are looking to save money with coupons due to the economy, lets of good recent press about coupons. Do pretty good with them with my Halloween site but I'm sure S&S Worldwide will take those sales instead. They'll probably reverse it in the future when they get a new AM.

how they classified me as coupon site ?

coupon is not the primary focus of the site, still being removed.

Yep, I got my letter, too. What a joke. I found them on several lists of parasites and removed their links from my site four years ago. They never had any individual product links or anything useful to promote them other than providing affiliate links aimed at branding, not sales.
    ~Ernie

No big loss at all.
    leeann

Shoppers determine what has value and they like coupons. Stop manipulating who set the cookie just because you do not like coupon and promotional sites.

Who are you promoting instead? US Toy is not an option, because they just stick people in 0% commission for no good reason.
    I need to find some good replacement for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ReallyBigGuy
    I need to find some good replacement for them.
    What category? Toys, party supplies, arts and crafts? There's lots of replacements depending on what you are looking for.

Trinkets... the bulk-type stuff cheap.

Off the top of my head Buy Costumes has a lot of similar items.

Then there's Celebrate Express for the birthday themed items. The crafty type things can be found a lot of places as well. There's a Linkshare merchant that sells those little personalized trinkets but I don't think I can recommend them anymore.

What else is there?

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    What Idiots run these 2 programs. First off you'd think if they didn't want 95% of all their online orders to have coupons or discount codes attached they'd disable the damn RED FLAG checkout page one "Place key code box" with something that reads we don't need no stinkin coupon codes no mo...

Amazingly their SERPs suck if they want to go without the usual 10,000 coupon sites out their hawking their cookies...
    http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...ompany+coupons

What with eBates and all the other BHO's do when those 2 URL's trigger cookied popups??
    Webmaster's... Mike and Charlie

"What have you done today to put real value into a referral click...from a shoppers viewpoint!"

I just got the email from TerrysVillage. My response:

Dear TerrysVillage/OrientalTradingCo Team,

Thanks for finally removing me. I removed your parasite infested programs and pulled your links years ago through the Linkshare interface with no success. Since then your competitors have provided quite a nice income. I hope this isn't really a "Temporary Removal". Make it permanent, please.
    ~Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by erninator
    I just got the email from TerrysVillage. My response:

Dear TerrysVillage/OrientalTradingCo Team,

Thanks for finally removing me. I removed your parasite infested programs and pulled your links years ago through the Linkshare interface with no success. Since then your competitors have provided quite a nice income. I hope this isn't really a "Temporary Removal". Make it permanent, please.
    I like it!

but i doubt they would read your email.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast