Need help with accepting credit cards
    Hi gang! I haven't been posting very much recently, I have been hanging out with the kids this summer. We just finished doing that wax paper/crayon shavings craft thing. Do you guys remember doing that?

I have also been busy working on a site for my hometown. With this site I will need to be able to accept credit cards for charges on a recurring basis and also for other random charges. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should look for a decent merchant account? I will probably be using Quickbooks, so I assume that I should get something that works with that program.

I have checked out a few places online but I am not quite sure what to look for.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

I set up credit card processing a few months ago, and ended up going with PayPal. They charge 30 cents plus 3% per transaction, which is better than I could find with other traditional credit card transaction processors. Pretty easy to customize into my site. You don't need to have a PayPal account - they take any Visa, MC, and Amex.

I don't know how well they support recurring payments, since I don't use that feature, but it seems like a basic feature that they would need to support.

Can't tell you about Quickbooks integration either.

After getting it all set up, I heard that Google checkout offers credit card transactions at 20 cents plus 2% - have not checked it out though.

Good luck.

Google checkout has lower discount rates and transaction fees than PP. The application process is painless and takes just a few minutes.

X

If you have no concerns about fraud or chargebacks PayPal is the cheapest thing out there. They have their own fine print which you will need to look at and decide, but other than that, the interface is the same one you get if you pay for VeriSign via Merchant Acct. VeriSign IS PayPal now, and the only alternative is Authorize.net. Authorize.net also requires a Merchant acct. which you can get online or at your local bank. The biggest difference I have found is that with a Merchant acct you don't get dumped on when there's a chargeback, unless you're wrong. With PayPal it doesn't matter who's right or wrong, you will lose.

I used to use PayPal and I thought they were great, when I had a fraudulent chargeback, they yanked the money from my account without any input from my end. I moved to VeriSign and then PayPal bought them so now I'm with Authorize.net. For some businesses PayPal can work fine and save you money. You just need to carefully read the terms and decide if they'll do what you want. Authorize.net does integrate with Quickbooks. Good luck

Correction, I believe the Google Checkout transaction fee is the same, 30, but last time I looked the discount rate was 2 or 2.1%. Don't quote me on that, check for yourself.

X

OK Boomers, I will take a look at Google. I hadn't even thought about them.

Thanks everyone for your input. As an affiliate marketer, I don't know that much about CC processing. I didn't realize that the fees and monthly charges were as high as what they are. Years ago I worked in a restaurant and my boss wouldn't let us accept tips when the people paid with a credit card. We all just thought he was being a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by bettylou
    Years ago I worked in a restaurant and my boss wouldn't let us accept tips when the people paid with a credit card. We all just thought he was being a jerk.
    Wow, he made his employees pay for HIS credit card fees. He WAS a jerk!

X

He also made us split the tips with him. So if it was just he and I during a shift, and I made $10 in tips, he would take $5. I'm not sure but I have been told that isn't legal.

why not just use paypal?
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread